Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Faculty Dinner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolsage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Faculty Dinner Reply with quote

Following the obligatory faculty meeting at the beginning of semester (an exercise in tokenism), there was the semi-obligatory faculty dinner, this time at a Chinese restaurant (or what passes for Chinese in this culinarily-challenged land). Needless to say, the booze flowed freely, and when I realized that the evening was not about to end anytime soon, I excused myself with the Chairman of the English Department, saying that I needed to get home and sleep because I had a 9AM class. His response was : "They're only students; they don't matter". This is not what I signed up for when I chose teaching as my main racket. Apparently, once one ascends the Confucian ladder in this country, showing up for class with all systems going is not important here. Students seem to be a necessary annoyance, and not the justification for the position that these people are in. Previous posts have alluded to the notion that the students here are frequently unteachable; it would seem that that many of their teachers are uninterested, incapable, or incompetent, more concerned with padding out their offices than actually delivering the goods in the classroom.
pecan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Missing the point Reply with quote

I fear you may have missed the point your superior was trying to impart.

The relationship you foster with your superiors and your colleagues will serve you well throughout your stay. The occasional challenge it may present to your teaching, by having to socialize later in the evening, should be considered extremely minor to the irreparable damage you could do to yourself by not developing and maintaining a healthy relationship with those that are responsible for your well-being.

Not doubt, the choice is yours to make, but you might want to consider the impact of your narrow-minded view.

Nut
Real Reality

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning about Korean Universities?

A Professor Beat Students Who Didn't Speak English
"Professor Lee often beat and abused students. He hit students who didn't work for a venture company of Gwangju recommended by him in the face for 20 minutes."
The official of Kwangju Institute of Science and Technology said, "Professor Lee accepted the above facts. He was discharged from a head of the department and a disciplinary measure has been in progress."
http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?bicode=040000&biid=2002091152368

Integrity of university professors
To my knowledge, there has never been a single case in Korea where a Ph.D. candidate has failed to obtain his or her degree. In making an important decision for the award of a degree, we often ask ourselves, "How can you dare to fail a candidate?" This deep-rooted custom is derived from a combination of sentiment and manners and has tarnished university competitiveness as well as producing incompetent scholars and scientists.
Korea Herald
http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2004/07/01/200407010011.asp

Professors Cheat to Maintain SCI Scores
A professor of engineering said it was common for there to be up to ten co-authors on a paper, most of whom have had nothing to do with it.
http://www.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200204/200204251020.html

Seoul National University (SNU) will tighten regulations on the privilege of working at the university until retirement, with professors now having to pass evaluations from the university's judging committee.
http://www.hankooki.com/kt_nation/200207/t2002071016581841110.htm

Ghostwriters investigated
Firms selling graduate projects face charges
According to the prosecution, these services are becoming increasingly popular, attracting customers through the Internet. Many academic degrees have been conferred upon unqualified students, the prosecution said. A professor who was part of an examination committee that accepted several ghostwritten theses said, "The quality of the theses was poor, but I didn't want to disqualify them. I never knew they were written by others." The universities that administered those examinations reportedly included top universities in Seoul.
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/200303/17/200303170205221879900090409041.html

The reality is that everything from the central government to regional ones, and the private sector, such as between corporate purchasing and subcontractors, are involved. And the food chain of corruption goes on and on.
http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200310/200310080034.html

Money key to teaching posts
Nearly one in five said colleges refused to offer them a position if they did not make a donation to the school foundation or development fund. Private universities were reportedly more likely to demand money than public colleges.
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/200207/09/200207090054252629900090409041.html

Foreign professors do most of the heavy lifting in terms of course loads, devoting themselves almost exclusively to teaching. Nevertheless, they tend to be treated as hired hands, without academic standing, and lacking the possibility of career advancement or tenure. They must submit to yearly contracts (compensated at a rate only 60 percent of their Korean peers) while walled off from the permanent Korean faculty who benefit from travel, research funding, sabbaticals, etc. Moreover, when hundreds of Korean scholars enjoy such perks at American and other foreign universities, something is obviously amiss.
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/200206/14/200206142349223599900090109011.html

Visa Regulation (E-1 Professor)
Note: In the case of a national or a public University, a foreigner is not permitted to be a full-time professor.
http://www.moj.go.kr/immi/08_english/02_business/e_1.html
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the fostering relationships bit. Sometimes you got suck up these things, but it's always worth going to in the end as if you don't have a good relationship they can make life hell for you.

My folks were shocked at the idea of principal walking around with a bottle of soju trying to get all the young women drunk. What is amusing is that he tries to out drink me on soju despite the fact that he barely reaches my chin in height. After the drinking fest I may have had trouble walking in a straight line, but the principal had to be hauled onto the bus by the other male teachers. Laughing
Real Reality

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylemongirl wrote,
"After the drinking fest I may have had trouble walking in a straight line, but the principal had to be hauled onto the bus by the other male teachers."

Educators modeling behavior for the students?
pecan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Missed it Reply with quote

RR,

It appears that you are missing it, too.

The OP is the only person responsible for the OP's actions, and therefore, the choice belongs to the OP.

You may believe that people should not adjust their behavior to the situation, but others accept that they have different responsibilities according to differing circumstances. What some would do in their home, they might not do in public, but does that mean they are modeling poor behavior?

A classroom, a bar, a restaurant, a public place, a private place, etc., may very well require a more flexible approach than you advocate to maintain harmony. Westerners, rigid in their views, often fail to recognize that Easterners conduct themselves differently according to their relationships.

Continuing to operate from a Westerner's point of view while working and living in Korea, may lead to many avoidable complications.

I certainly do not object to you conducting yourself in an unbending manner. I am sure you are used to the troubles that it brings.

However, can not you recognize that others may not wish to bare the burden of your advice?

Your way is merely one of many.

Again, the choice is the OP's to make.

Nut

Last edited by pecan on Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
prosodic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Missed it Reply with quote

pecan wrote:
Westerners, rigid in their views, often fail to recognize that Easterners conduct themselves differently according to their relationships.
Nut

Fee, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of a Korean.
pecan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Take the time Reply with quote

I take that as a compliment, but I am not a Korean.

Try reading a book sometime, it might help.

The title, "The Geography of Thought : How Asians and Westerners Think Differently...and Why" by Richard E. Nisbett is very insightful and helped to explain why there are so many misunderstandings in Korea between foreigners and Koreans.

Quote:

in The Geography of Thought people actually think - and even see - the world differently, because of differing ecologies, social structures, philosophies, and educational systems that date back to ancient Greece and China, and that have survived into the modern world. As a result, East Asian thought is "holistic" - drawn to the perceptual field as a whole, and to relations among objects and events within that field. By comparison to Western modes of reasoning, East Asian thought relies far less on categories, or on formal logic: it is fundamentally dialectic, seeking a "middle way" between opposing thoughts. By contrast, Westerners focus on salient objects or people, use attributes to assign them to categories, and apply rules of formal logic to understand their behavior.

http://www.simonsays.com/content/content.cfm?sid=33&pid=414017&agid=2

Quote:
Greeks were independent and engaged in verbal contention and debate in an effort to discover what people took to be the truth. They thought of themselves as individuals with distinctive properties, as units separate from others within the society, and in control of their own destinies. Similarly, Greek philosophy started from the individual object -- the person, the atom, the house -- as the unit of analysis and it dealt with properties of the object. The world was in principle simple and knowable: All one had to do was to understand what an object's distinctive attributes were so as to identify its relevant categories and then apply the pertinent rule to the categories.

Chinese social life was interdependent and it was not liberty but harmony that was the watchword -- the harmony of humans and nature for the Taoists and the harmony of humans with other humans for the Confucians. Similarly, the Way, and not the discovery of truth, was the goal of philosophy. Thought that gave no guidance to action was fruitless. The world was complicated, events were interrelated, and objects (and people) were connected "not as pieces of pie, but as ropes in a net." The Chinese philosopher would see a family with interrelated members where the Greek saw a collection of persons with attributes that were independent of any connections with others. Complexity and interrelation meant for the Chinese that an attempt to understand the object without appreciation of its context was doomed. Under the best of circumstances, control of outcomes was difficult.

Nut
prosodic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

pecan wrote:
Continuing to operate from a Westerner point of view while working and living in Korea, may lead to many avoidable complications.

A native speaker would have written Western instead of Westerner

pecan wrote:
However, can not you recognize that others may not wish to bare the burden of your advice?

standard syntax would be "can you not recognize"....

pecan wrote:
but I am not a Korean.

Not incorrect, but a little clumsy. More standard would be "I am not Korean" without the article.

pecan wrote:
Try reading a book sometime

Every native speaker I know would use the definite article when recommending a specific book. In other words, the sentence would be "Try reading the following book sometime."

Perhaps you're just having a bad day at the keyboard.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prosodic wrote:
pecan wrote:
Try reading a book sometime

Every native speaker I know would use the definite article when recommending a specific book. In other words, the sentence would be "Try reading the following book sometime."

I think Pecan is insulting you worse than you realize by using the indefinite article. He's suggesting that you don't read books at all, and if that's the case, his grammatical usage is correct.

Doesn't make up for his other Konglishy mistakes, though.
peppermint

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares if Pecan is or isn't Korean. It's not a witchhunt,y'know.

I think the nut has a point. We live in Korea and it's not a bad idea to make an effort to work within Korean customs to some extent. If playing nice with co-workers makes life easier,why not do that.

While the lack of respect for students was shocking, that doesn't mean that that'show he has to behave, just find another excuse not to drink.

Last edited by peppermint on Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean christi guys! Does it really matter whether pecan is korean or not? The op stated a problem and pecan offered some opinons on it.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint wrote:
Who cares if Pecan is or isn't Korean. It's not a witchhunt,y'know.

Thank you for saying something. Pisses me off when people start smelling around and accusing people of being Korean. Who gives a *beep*?
pecan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Tone Reply with quote

The nature of a few of those responses only adds to my previous point. Their view is so narrow, that they are incapable of accepting that a Westerner could adopt a more flexible way of viewing situations in Korea. Instead, they would have you believe that I must be Korean!

Very comical stuff, indeed.

Nut
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolsage wrote:

Quote:
Following the obligatory faculty meeting at the beginning of semester (an exercise in tokenism), there was the semi-obligatory faculty dinner, this time at a Chinese restaurant (or what passes for Chinese in this culinarily-challenged land). Needless to say, the booze flowed freely, and when I realized that the evening was not about to end anytime soon, I excused myself with the Chairman of the English Department, saying that I needed to get home and sleep because I had a 9AM class. His response was : "They're only students; they don't matter". This is not what I signed up for when I chose teaching as my main racket. Apparently, once one ascends the Confucian ladder in this country, showing up for class with all systems going is not important here. Students seem to be a necessary annoyance, and not the justification for the position that these people are in. Previous posts have alluded to the notion that the students here are frequently unteachable; it would seem that that many of their teachers are uninterested, incapable, or incompetent, more concerned with padding out their offices than actually delivering the goods in the classroom.

I always enjoyed the faculty dinners I went to, though I didn't have to worry about boring English profs there and the restaurants were top class. Socializing is part of university life--from students on up to administration. I found it refreshing, actually--perhaps I lucked out with a great group of profs. I would agree that excessive drinking at these functions can send a bad message to students (seeing as they skip classes regularly); however, the profs seemed to work hard during school hours and things got done with hardly a sign of a hangover. Lots of that pharmacy hangover cure, I guess. Anyway, it worked.

Getting back to the gathering--you might have missed out on some post-drinking fun, too. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: