Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distorted Thinking
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Distorted Thinking Reply with quote

I am writing a quiz that I can use to expose the distorted thinking of my students.

Here are examples of questions that I am looking for. I have based these questions on comments my students have made to me.

Korean mothers love their children more than mothers from America and Japan. TRUE - FALSE

Koreans have superior brains compared to people from other countries. TRUE - FALSE

Westerners don't really care about their children. TRUE-FALSE

Korea has four seasons, but Canada does not. TRUE-FALSE

Korea is the most beautiful country in the world. TRUE-FALSE
How many countries have you been to?

All Chinese people are dirty. TRUE-FALSE

Koreans are the kindest people in the world. TRUE-FALSE

Some Americans are nice, but most of them are not. TRUE-FASLE

Please give me some other TRUE-FALSE questions that I can use.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Sure, here are some good ones:

My teacher is full of stereotypes about Koreans. TRUE - FALSE

My teacher likes to create an antagonistic relationship with his students. TRUE-FALSE

My teacher should spend less time venting his frustrations about living in my country in class and more time actually teaching us English. TRUE - FALSE

Seriously, dude, if you want to reduce your students' xenophobia I don't think this is going to accomplish what you expect. Set a good example by being a calm, level-headed teacher who makes them learn while having fun. If they start insulting you for your nationality, don't get mad, just punish them appropriately for disrespecting their teacher, forgive them, and move on.
prosodic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
Seriously, dude, if you want to reduce your students' xenophobia I don't think this is going to accomplish what you expect. Set a good example by being a calm, level-headed teacher who makes them learn while having fun. If they start insulting you for your nationality, don't get mad, just punish them appropriately for disrespecting their teacher, forgive them, and move on.

Good advice. It's definitely an inappropriate quiz that the OP is trying to put together.
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher is an idiot. TRUE - TRUE
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Korean food is the spiciest (hottest) food in the world and foreigners don't like it. T F

2) Foreigners can't use chop sticks. T F

3) Only Koreans eat garlic. T F

4) Foreigners are less evolved than Koreans because they have more body hair. T F

5) If Korea unites it will be the most powerful country in the world. T F

6) The US doesn't want Korea to unite. T F

7) If Korea unites then Koreans won't have to learn English, but foreigners will have to learn Korean. T F

Cool Korea would be a nuclear power today but the CIA killed the Korean scientist who had the secret. T F

9) The Koreans, not the Chinese, invented movable type. T F

10) Lee Soon-Shin's turtle ship was the first armored ship in the world. T F

11) Torturing a dog to death with blow torches will make a man capable of having sex all night. T F

12) Throwing a live cat in a pot of boiling water will produce a medicine that is good for a bad back. T F

13) The university entrance exam always occurs on the coldest day of winter. T F

14) Giving your friend a piece of sticky candy will help him/her pass the university exam because it will help the information stick to his/her brain. T F

15) Western meat is cheaper than Korean meat because it is inferior in quality. T F

16) Japan was powerful enough (and cared enough) around 1910 to force foreign map makers to change the spelling of Korea to Corea (in a language the Japanese couldn't speak either) because they were offended that K comes before J in the alphabet.

17) Koreans will get sick if they eat foreign rice. T F

How's that?
Demophobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
How's that?

Very bitter indeed. You need a rest, dude.
royjones

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is some Distorted thinking going on. But is coming from "the hammer", and "ya-ta boy"
peppermint

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:

9) The Koreans, not the Chinese, invented movable type. T F

This one will make you sound like a Jackass for sure, as the Chinese never claimed they did. The question was between a German (Guternberg) and a group of Korean monks. If the UN says that the Koreans got there first, well that's enough for me. Gutenberg still gets all the recognition anyway.
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses. This quiz is great! I use it to help them think differently. Does it create a hostile environment between me and my students? Not at all.

My stduents learn a lot from this type of quiz. I know it might be hard for some of you to believe, but it's true.

All of the questions are based on things my students have said to me. I just get them to think about how they think. They learn so much from this exercise.

You probably have students that have said the same things to you. The difference between me and some of you is that I have the unorthodox ability to get them to THINK differently.

Am I angry at them for what they say? No! I see it as an opportunity for me to help them learn. That is what I am here to do. I don't just ignore the issue and hope it goes away.

Idea
osangrl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this one:

Most people on daveseslcafe need to relax and let others vent without critisizing them: true false
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
Quote:

Sure, here are some good ones:

My teacher is full of stereotypes about Koreans. TRUE - FALSE
Once again, ALL of the questions are based on what my students have said to me.

My teacher likes to create an antagonistic relationship with his students. TRUE-FALSE
Wow! Jump to conclusions. I invite you to my school next week to see my class. Only then can you say if I have created an antagonistic relationship with my students. PM if you are interested.

My teacher should spend less time venting his frustrations about living in my country in class and more time actually teaching us English. TRUE - FALSE
There you go again with another misguided assumption.

Seriously, dude, if you want to reduce your students' xenophobia I don't think this is going to accomplish what you expect. You are wrong. I have tried it and it works

Set a good example by being a calm, level-headed teacher who makes them learn while having fun. I do!
If they start insulting you for your nationality, don't get mad, just punish them appropriately for disrespecting their teacher, forgive them, and move on.
The Hammer isn't mad. The Hammer is different. I look forward to a kind response.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I don't know you, or anything about you other than what you have posted. I also believe you when you say that your students have vented some nasty things at you in your class. They're children (I assume), so they don't know any better.

As for my assumptions, what it looks like you're planning certainly looks counterproductive and antagonistic to me. I'm happy to hear that this is not a typical lesson plan for you.

I've heard all kinds of xenophobic nonsense coming from my students as well. If their English was at a level where they could communicate with me, I would calmly explain to them why they were wrong. If I couldn't communicate with them, I would tell them that what they were saying was making me sad, which made them feel guilty enough to apologize. They learn that the waygook is flesh and blood, and then we move on to other things, such as learning English. It's not the sort of thing I think is appropriate to plan an entire lesson around.

If this lesson is, in fact, productive and useful in some way, I'd love to hear in more detail what you do.

What you've written so far makes it sound like you have an axe to grind, and you're taking it out on your students. If I'm wrong, please explain.
The Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(My students are from 18 to 25 years old.)

I can understand how some people might think that this quiz is a bad idea, but I disagree with them. Here is why...

I am not angry at my students.
I am not making an effort to vent frustration about Korea.
I am simply getting them to think critically about the things they say.
What is so terrible about using a quiz to get someone to think about things that they believe to be true or false?
I don't say that the way they think is right or wrong.
I let them think about it and decide for themselves. (More often than not they change their minds.)
My classes are meant to benefit my students.
Some of the people who have responded to this post imagine the worst possible scenario regarding this quiz.
The way they think about student reactions to this quiz is way off.
Students don't react to it negatively. They think and they learn.

Why are people so quick to attack ideas that are a little different than their own?

Naysayers review your positions. Imagine a positive classroom with a positive teacher.

The Hammer Laughing
Demophobe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

osangrl wrote:
What about this one:

Most people on daveseslcafe need to relax and let others vent without critisizing them: true false

How about "Everyone has an equal chance to speak what's on their minds"? Rolling Eyes

Don't post if you don't want people to comment. Idea
The Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
You're right, I don't know you, or anything about you other than what you have posted. I also believe you when you say that your students have vented some nasty things at you in your class. They're children (I assume), so they don't know any better. They are not children. Not to be a jerk... Remember what they say about assumptions.
As for my assumptions, what it looks like you're planning certainly looks counterproductive and antagonistic to me. It is not counterproductive or antagonistic in any way. I'm happy to hear that this is not a typical lesson plan for you.

I've heard all kinds of xenophobic nonsense coming from my students as well. If their English was at a level where they could communicate with me, I would calmly explain to them why they were wrong. My method lets them decide for themselves. We don't need to tell them that they are wrong when we give them the mental tools to do it themselves. If I couldn't communicate with them, I would tell them that what they were saying was making me sad, which made them feel guilty enough to apologize. They learn that the waygook is flesh and blood, and then we move on to other things, such as learning English. It's not the sort of thing I think is appropriate to plan an entire lesson around.

If this lesson is, in fact, productive and useful in some way, I'd love to hear in more detail what you do.

What you've written so far makes it sound like you have an axe to grind, and you're taking it out on your students. If I'm wrong, please explain.
I don't have an axe to grind. I am going to meet my girlfriend right now, so I'll explain later.

Cheers,

The Hammer Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: