Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what should I do???????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm your post was a bit hard to follow. It sounds like you're working a split shift? If you weren't, I'd say all things considered, suck it up and come in an hour early (which really amounts to you coming in an extra 30 minutes early). You could work less some place else but conditions might be worse. The devil you know vs the "well I work 4 hours a day but I'm not sure if my job will be there tomorrow and my apartment turned out to be a hell hole" devil you don't want to know in concrete terms.

But then if you're working a split shift, say morning and then night, that's zero fun and I'd be less willing to add to that.

My solution to over coming Korean coworker envy is asking them what their birthday is, writing it down on my calendar, and when it's their birthday, I bring them in a birthday cake, candles, and we all sing them happy birthday. My theory is it's pretty hard to really hate someone who remembers your birthday.

Last edited by mindmetoo on Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
the saint

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: what should I do??????? Reply with quote

Demophobe wrote:
mezdupa wrote:
But I prep really quickly, because I am an English speaker.

Sorry, but Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's rich.

Arrrr Demo... you beat me to it...

But then...
mezdupa wrote:

I meant as in as as I am a native English speaker, that I tend to work faster with the language in relation to English Prep..... no offense was meant Razz

Har har... richer still Laughing
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily so rich. Korean teachers often have to spend more time prepping for the exact same classes we might teach in order to make sure they're doing it correctly. And they still make mistakes because it's not their native language.

This is a more charitable way of interpreting what he wrote rather than assuming that he's lazy.
mezdupa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
Not necessarily so rich. Korean teachers often have to spend more time prepping for the exact same classes we might teach in order to make sure they're doing it correctly. And they still make mistakes because it's not their native language.

This is a more charitable way of interpreting what he wrote rather than assuming that he's lazy.

I'm female Rolling Eyes
mezdupa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice folks!
Much appreciated!
xox
peppermint

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:

I can see what she means. My teachers guides are all in Korean at the school so it takes me ages to prep.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mezdupa wrote:
Son Deureo! wrote:

I'm female Rolling Eyes

Sorry, I made a mistake.

I'm also sorry I stuck up for you when other posters accused you of being a lazy teacher. Rolling Eyes
chronicpride

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: what should I do??????? Reply with quote

mezdupa wrote:
Demophobe wrote:
mezdupa wrote:
But I prep really quickly, because I am an English speaker.

Sorry, but Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's rich.

Very Happy

I meant as in as as I am a native English speaker, that I tend to work faster with the language in relation to English Prep..... no offense was meant Razz

For many native teachers over here, prep=clearing your throat before walking into class. Hope that's not what you were alluding to. Wink
bellum99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: prep time is needed Reply with quote

Remember, prep time is needed for teachers. It takes time to make worksheets and proper assignments and homework. The homework and worksheets must match what you are studying that day. This stuff takes time and effort.

They may be complaining that you are doing a crappy job and the work is falling onto them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jazblanc77

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: prep time is needed Reply with quote

bellum99 wrote:
Remember, prep time is needed for teachers. It takes time to make worksheets and proper assignments and homework. The homework and worksheets must match what you are studying that day. This stuff takes time and effort.

They may be complaining that you are doing a crappy job and the work is falling onto them.

I agree with your statement about lesson plans, though I can't really see the likelihood of the reasons for them asking for the OP to come in earlier. As the only foreigner at a relatively new school, I can totally relate with the OP. My school doesn't know which way is up when it comes to dealing with foreigners (er... foreigner). I have been in Korea long enough to know that going with the flow can mean a very good life. You can let a lot of stuff slide but there is a point when these new schools need to get it through their thick newbie sculls that when you hire someone on a contract that you should follow the terms which both parties agreed upon. Some of the better hogwans actually draw up contracts with their Korean teachers, though most don't. Combining this point with the fact that most hogwans are unregulated in terms of labour conditions, the Korean teachers who are without a contract are constantly getting stiffed. It's unfortunate but it's not your fault. You have an agreement so stick to what is within its terms. You can never go wrong if you just get them to follow the contract. Just be diplomatic in the way you handle the situation.

Good luck! Smile
riverboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wromg wth us getting paid more than Korean teachers? Most korean teachers (no, the vast majority) I work with have terrible English skills. Even at the Middle school I teach at their English is not good.
What you have is a great asset that most Koreans can't replace unless they spend years studying abroad.
It is hard to replace a lifetime of experience with a few years of schooling. I will use this analogy, Chinese food is expensive in Canada but the same meal is quite cheap in China. As is Korean cusine. But travel thousands of miles to another land and it may not be any better quality, but it still costs more.
Supply and demand. We tend to be short on the demand part eh?
jazblanc77

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riverboy wrote:
What is wromg wth us getting paid more than Korean teachers? Most korean teachers (no, the vast majority) I work with have terrible English skills. Even at the Middle school I teach at their English is not good.
What you have is a great asset that most Koreans can't replace unless they spend years studying abroad.
It is hard to replace a lifetime of experience with a few years of schooling. I will use this analogy, Chinese food is expensive in Canada but the same meal is quite cheap in China. As is Korean cusine. But travel thousands of miles to another land and it may not be any better quality, but it still costs more.
Supply and demand. We tend to be short on the demand part eh?

That's a pretty weak analogy. Rolling Eyes
Demophobe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...we are imports, man. Cool Razz
riverboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty weak analogy.

Hey it's a simple analogy. There is nothing weak about it. I worked in the restaraunt industry for years. Chinese restaraunts have the highest profit mark up. It is quite simple the food is cheap to produce and expensive to sell. We may not have stellar degrees, but we have them nonetheless. We speak the language that is in demand and are Natives of the language.
I know for a fact that most Chinese restaraunts only want to hire Chinese cooks. I can name a few in Eastern Canada.

Why do chinese restaraunts charge more for food?
Because most people don't know how to cook it well. Simple, not weak.
chronicpride

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fundamentally, I would take a bilingual Kyopo over a white face, if I had a Korean child. Or a well spoken Korean teacher who studied English Language & Lit. Then send my kid overseas when they got old enough, to fine-tune the pronunciation and contemporary vocab.

There are too many hogwan cowboys that come here and show up and say 'Of course I can teach english. I've been speaking it all my life. Now listen and repeat. Great. Now Minsun, can you read this, and then Jihun, then Yoonhee, then....Good job. Game jo-ah?' The parents are just throwing their money away to smooth-talking directors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: