Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HUGE Visa re-entry problem for China...HELP!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss L

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: HUGE Visa re-entry problem for China...HELP!! Reply with quote

Ok-- Here is the problem. I don't know what to do. My friend and I booked and paid for our CHINA tour for thanksgiving. We have our passports, alien cards, and our China Visa is ready on Thursday, however, what we forgot about was getting our MULTIPLE RE-ENTRY VISA! We leave on the 25th, in 11 days! I was told that the visa takes 10 days to process, and we can't pick up our China Visa's until Thursday. Someone also told me you get this processed in 20 minutes at the airport....I have no idea what to do. The trip is paid for, I need to come back to Korea and I don't know where to start. Please help!!!
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd budget more than 20 minutes at the airport if you're planning on doing this on Chusok, but yes, Immigration can handle this at the airport on the day of your trip for a small fee (30,000 I think) and a one-page form.

To be on the safe side, though, you could also make a trip to Immigration ahead of time once you get your passport back from the Chinese Embassy. I would if I were you. It shouldn't take 10 days.

Where are you from, though? Canadians generally get a single-entry E2 visa if they don't specifically request otherwise, but Americans usually automatically get a multiple entry.
Miss L

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Canadian Reply with quote

OK, well I'm Canadian so that means I need to get the multi....that's what you're saying? So I get the passport on Thursday and I can go to Immigration...or the airport? I live in Anyang, what's best? How can I guarantee that is won't take long? Can't they do it on the spot say this Friday?
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this a couple of weeks ago and I'm Canadian. You can go to the airport the morning of your flight, ( budget an extra hour for this to be on the safe side) and go to the little immigration office there. I believe it's . down a little hallway behind section G- (sorry for confusion) Fill out the form, wait in line, hand them 30,000 Won and you've got yourself a SINGLE re-entry visa. If you're running late for your flight tell somebody and they will bump you up in the lineup.

btw- you have to do this before you check in

Last edited by peppermint on Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
howie2424

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint and Son Deureo!a are correct, immigration will process it fairly quickly at the airport for you for a small fee. If you have the time, plan on travelling again soon and can make it to an immigration office, the better bang for your buck is to get a multiple re-entry visa for 70,000 won or so which allows you to come and go as you please.
baldrick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After paying 30,000 once at an immigration office for a re-entry visa, I was surprised that at the airport I got a 'gratis' stamp on my second re-entry visa. The guy waved me and my cash away saying its free for UK passport holders. I am clueless as to why, and slightly annoyed at the fact that I was made to pay the first time around.
spliff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my multiple re-entry done at the local immg office here in Cheong-ju. They wanted to charge me 50,000 for it but I told them that since I'm American I should have got a multi to begin with...ie. on my original visa! I was bluffing, of course...but after about a half hour wait (guess they thought if I was in a hurry I'd pay the cash) and a couple of phone calls by them (real or not..i have no idea) they gave it to me ...free! All in all, the entire process/game took about 1/2 hour.

Last edited by spliff on Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
spliff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a place to request a multiple on the visa application (one year work visa). Make sure your "new"school indicates that you want one and you can avoid the above hassle!
kelly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend and I went up to immigration last Sat at 9am to get her multiple entry visa done, it took 20mins.....it cost I think 50,000(I think) and is valid for a year. It is done there and then, you do not have to wait ten days. But make sure you go up early in the morning so you don't have to wait too long. Have a nice trip!!
sadsac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immigration at the airport will only issue a single entry visa. One form, 30,000won and you are on your way. It's not a problem. Smile
spliff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I guess "It's not a problem" for those who like shelling out dough to the ROK immy! Shocked Myself...I'd sooner have a haircut! Confused
peppergirl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baldrick wrote:
After paying 30,000 once at an immigration office for a re-entry visa, I was surprised that at the airport I got a 'gratis' stamp on my second re-entry visa. The guy waved me and my cash away saying its free for UK passport holders. I am clueless as to why, and slightly annoyed at the fact that I was made to pay the first time around.

I paid 50,000 (or 60,000, don't remember exactly) for my multiple re-entry visa in November... to discover later that i didn't need one either.

Quote:
Countries subject to exemption from re-entry permit (as of Dec. 1999) Surinam, The Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Luxemburg, Belgium, Sweden, Switzerland(including Liechtenstein), France, Finland, Granada

Doesn't include UK though, but don't you get Korean visa's etc for free too?

I got back the money from immigration after my husband called and complained (and asked to speak to a higher official) Smile
canukteacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You simply fill out the form, plus 50,000 Won. Do it at your immigration office, or at the airport. It is not a problem, and there is no waiting.
Neil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm due to fly to China on the 25th as well and had no idea about this, so cheers for the advice.
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, do you have a visa? If so, you do not need a "visa". What you need is a "re-entry permit". These are very easy to get. It can be done same day. If this is the only time you plan to leave Korea and come back in the next twelve months, then all you need is a "single re-entry permit". As was mentioned, these can be obtained on the spot either at the airport or at your local immigration office. If you plan to leave and re-enter Korea again in the coming year after this trip, then you can save yourself the trouble later and get a "multi-entry permit". These can only be obtained at your local immigration office, not the airport. Again, they will issue it on the spot.

Whoever told you "10 days" was probably talking about an actual visa, which is what you may have asked about (since you used the term "visa" in your original post here.) If you already have an E-2 visa or something similar, that is not what you need. You need the re-entry permit. Very easy and fast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: