Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desperately Seeking Advice! *^^*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rumibaer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Desperately Seeking Advice! *^^* Reply with quote

anyoung-hasehyo yuh-ruh-boon-deul!

Hullo....I've been *stalking* this site for quite some time now, can you believe almost 2 years? but I'm finally ready to make my move! Very Happy keke
Here's the deal... I know many newbie's post to this board- but could you take one more? Laughing I am a very confused Korean-American soon to be college grad ( in May). I have long and hard been debating the decision of whether to up and move to Korea to teach English upon graduation.. and have finally decided to just GO FOR IT!

I have a slew of confusions and queries though.. and I thought some of you wise,experienced people could lend a girl a hand Wink

1.) I would prefer to teach adults, purely for the greater intellectual challenge, but it seems that the majority of people on this board side with teaching children for monetary and other reasons.. I had heard that teaching adults was better pay- am I wrong? I know some other KA's who went to teach English in Korea- and they were teaching businessmen, and making a lot of money..

2.) I have my little heart set on being located in Seoul.. but it seems that the positions outside of Seoul are so plentiful, is it hard to find a position in Seoul? and a job, which would actually provide or help with housing? I worry the most about housing... I don't have high expectations... but I really don't want to end up living in a "ha-sook jib"

3.) My Korean friends tell me to apply to the "bigger" name places like Pagoda, or even YMB ECC and ELS but I was wondering if these more established places hire people like me? (i.e. inexperienced, new grads)

4.) I'm due to graduate May 19th..most places ask for a copy of my diploma- so does that mean that I should just wait until after I graduate to apply to places? or should i start earlier...

5.) Is my being Korean-American really that serious of a problem? Before coming to this forum.. i had always thought it was normal for KA's to go teach in korea- but there have been a few threads about places not wanting to hire KA's...

ok.*phew*! if you got through this whole post, *Thank You!*I have dedicated this whole year to deciding what to do after graduating... and I am still *oh so confused*. any advice, comments, or PM's or email's would be ever so welcome.. feel free to contact me- I don't bite! I promise ^^
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been reading this forum for two years, before finally coming to a decision? Wow. Very inquisitive, eh? I'll try to help, though others would have more solid advice.

1. Getting a job teaching adults isn't as easy as getting a job teaching kids. The job is less stressful, but also requires more preparation on your part. As for the pay, I'm not totally sure about that one, but business English does pay well.

2. It shouldn't be too hard to get a position in Seoul, not at all. For housing, that goes on a school-by-school basis. You should inquire the director about housing, and be sure to pester and ask lots of questions, if it really is a big concern.

3. I was an inexperienced, fresh graduate when YBM ECC in Cheonan hired me, so yea. They at least will hire graduates. I'm not sure on the other schools...

4. Yea, you should probably wait until you graduate. Immigration needs to see the original or notarized copy of your degree to give your sponsoring school the certificate to sponsor you, which will allow you to get a visa.

5. Many people will say yes, and several will say no, but if you've got trustworthy acquaintances back home who didn't have a lot of problems, you might just be fine. Being a gyopo(Korean American) is a mixed bag over here, from what I've heard. Sometimes you get it great, sometimes you get it really bad. One of my exworkers was an ethnic Korean, adopted by American parents, and he was in pretty well with the director, so yea.
l'il kim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Many of the jobs teaching adults do not offer free housing. Sometimes you will get a modest housing stipend, and usually the key money is covered, but you will often still have to "top up" the rent. Part of the price to pay for the joys of teaching adults. It is SO MUCH less stressful than teaching kids.

2. Being ethnic. I'm a Korean from Canada, and finding a job proved to be very difficult. It took me a good two months and scores of resumes to finally land a position. But I eventually found one I was happy with in Seoul - where I wanted to be - and my director has treated me very well, at least so far. Eventually you can find the job you want, but just be warned that it will take a LOT of effort on your part.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not in a big hurry you could apply to the Fulbright ETA program. It provides some teaching training and a 6 week Korean language course and is a reputable program in general. There are always quite a few KA people on this program, both adoptees and other. You can check it out at:

http://www.fulbright.or.kr/eta/english/etamain.html
rumibaer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l'il kim: yes it does seem that most of the institutions which cater to adults just offer a key deposit ( an insufficient one at that! ) and a monthly contribution towards rent...which does present a dilemma. i'd definetely rather teach college students/adults though.. I suppose I might be able to crash at my cousin's until i can find a living situation that I could afford..

and when you say it took you a couple months, was the searching while you were in korea, or before you came over??

mokpochica: yes! i have looked into fulbright, actually i was supposed to apply last oct. ( to go to korea this aug.) but i missed the deadline. unfortunately, i can't wait another year tho, I'm set on going after graduation.. gotta strike out on my own, can't mooch off the 'rents and rot at home y'know? Wink
mack the knife

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen a lot of jobs on the job boards recently (and newspapers) looking for kyopos only...so you certainly have an "in" there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: