Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First lesson plan for grade 4 public elementary school

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I_Am_Wrong

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: First lesson plan for grade 4 public elementary school Reply with quote

So this week I get to teach my grade 4 students a lesson that I will completely make up on my own (no help from co-teacher or course books). I was thinking that for my first lesson I would incorporate my home country Canada in order to give the students a better idea of where I come from. I would do this by beginning the class by showing the students some pictures I have from back etc., incorporating a Canadian words crossword and maybe doing a lesson on Canadian wildlife or something. What do people think of this? Any other good ideas? I would love to hear what kinds of lessons people have come up with for their classes. Another lesson I was considering doing would be about sports so I could then incorporate the recent olympics and Koreans who won medals in said olympics.
I_Am_Wrong

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry...not crossword...word search. ie. mountie, bear etc.

also, what would y'all think of a lesson involving chuseok? I'm just trying to think of things that will keep their attention.
riverboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, I usually always do that as an intro class.
One thing worth mentioning is to do a comparison between Canada and Korea. Tell them how long it would take to drive nonstop from Vancouver to Halifax. If you can draw, then draw a map of Canada on the board put korea where NB is and you can giove them a relative comparison to size. Then talk about population. That should take care of a good percentage of the class itself. Good luck.
peppermint

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing Canada and Korea is a good idea, and photos are great, but the word search is dodgy. According to the official curriculum they aren't supposed to know how to write or read yet. (I know how silly it sounds) A lot of these kids might never have been to a hagwon depending on your area, so keep it extremely simple.

A speaking game with lots of repetition is a good place to begin, and it's better to have a lesson that's too easy on the first day anyway.
I_Am_Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know where I can find info about the official curriculum? I've tried asking at the school but have only received blank stares....
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my little Nomeansno fan, you are wrong.

There isn't one.

Make it up as you go along. I recommend lots of colouring. It's the only way you will stay sane.
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're in public school, aren't you?
( If not, disregard everything in my last post)

If so, the curriculum should be called "elementary school English" and I believe the grade 4 book is purple. the books rely heavily on a CD rom, and there's a teachers guide which may be of limited use, cause it's mostly in Korean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: