Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheapest VISA run

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voyeur

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Cheapest VISA run Reply with quote

I have to make a VISA run soon.

I have time and am pretty patient. I can deal with long trips etc...

What is the cheapest VISA run from Seoul and how much is it gonna cost me TOTAL - door to door?

I read the stickied threads and none of them seem to bottom line the total cost much.

Any idea howmuch an OSaka run costs, all told, or a ferry run?

I was hoping 550k WOn max, total.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest possible? You can do much better than 550k, but you'll have to go to Fukuoka, not Osaka.

If you're going for rock-bottom travel costs from Seoul, take the Mugunghwa (slowest, oldest train there is) to Busan for about 50k roundtrip (6 hours), and from there take the hydrofoil to Fukuoka for 170k roundtrip (3 hours). Hydrofoil timetables are here: http://www.bbtour.com/intercourse/cruse.htm

If you're willing to pay a little more to save you some train time you can take the KTX for 90k round trip, about 3 hours each way.

If you're really looking for rock-bottom value, you should be able to shave about 10-15k off your train ticket by getting standing room seats on the Mugunghwa. Having ridden five and a half hours to Mokpo this way during Chuseok, however, I recommend shelling out the extra cash for a seat. To book your train ticket, sign up for a card at www.barota.com.

I've found a way to get this man to a consulate for just over 200k, can anyone do better than that? Maybe there's a slower boat than the hydofoil to Fukuoka? Seems a bit pricey.

BTW, welcome to Korea, Voyeur. I hope things are going well for you.
tommynomad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a little labour-intensive, too. I'm going the cheapest easy way: bought a 250,000 RT flight to Fukuoka from Nextour.co.kr. Have a Korean friend help you if you need it (though if you call the phone # at the bottom of the page they'll have someone who can help you in E).
Voyeur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, keep the tips coming.

What kind of expenses am I looking at in Fukuoka? VISA costs, train to consulate, etc... Why is flying there cheaper than Osaka? Why doesn't everyone FLY there then instead of Osaka? I thought Osaka was where you flew and that was where you went by ship?

And things are going well, I just have some extra time before my next contract and want to keep expneses down.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taipei is W220,000 plus tax return. Probably cheaper to stay there, too. Not sure where the Korean embassy is there, though.
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
I've found a way to get this man to a consulate for just over 200k, can anyone do better than that? Maybe there's a slower boat than the hydofoil to Fukuoka? Seems a bit pricey.

Sounds good. However, one big difference between Fukuoka and Osaka is that you can do the visa in Osaka same day, but if you go to Fukuoka, you're going to have to stay the night (1 or 2 nights? I think it's 2 nights), and accomodation in Japan is not cheap at all.

And yes, there is a cheaper alternative to the hydrofoil. The Camelia line is a 15-hour ferry (each way) connecting Busan and Fukuoka, which is cheaper than the 3-hour hydrofoil, but I'm not sure by how much.

Voyeur wrote:
Why is flying there cheaper than Osaka? Why doesn't everyone FLY there then instead of Osaka?

I guess it's cheaper because it's closer. And as for why people don't go there instead of Osaka, as I said in the above, in Osaka you can be in and out the same day with no hotel expenses (plus you may be needed at work). Not so in Fukuoka.
ratslash

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say train to busan, ferry to fukuoka.

but, a plane ticket to tokyo only cost me about 300,000 won when i was there. top travel, look for stairs next to a twosome place on sinchon rotary. up those stairs, blue and yellow shop. united airlines. cheap cheap. they go seoul to tokyo on to usa.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.B. Clamence wrote:
Son Deureo! wrote:

Sounds good. However, one big difference between Fukuoka and Osaka is that you can do the visa in Osaka same day, but if you go to Fukuoka, you're going to have to stay the night (1 or 2 nights? I think it's 2 nights), and accomodation in Japan is not cheap at all.

According to two people in this sticky thread that's right above the one you're reading right now, they were able to do it same day in Fukuoka last month. It looks like things have changed, but if so that's brand new.

You're right, though, that if you can't get to the embassy in time, you'll be stuck overnight. The cheapest accomodation I was able to find (in Osaka, the only place I've been in Japan) was a capsule hotel, a coffin in a bathhouse for W30,000.

Someone also posted a link in the sticky to a travel agency that offers an overnight ferry + hotel overnight package for W190,000.
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
According to two people in this sticky thread that's right above the one you're reading right now, they were able to do it same day in Fukuoka last month. It looks like things have changed, but if so that's brand new.

OK, I didn't realize there was a change. That should be ok then, if you can get the visa the same day, then Fukuoka should be the cheapest, even if you do have to stay a night.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of expenses am I looking at in Fukuoka like train to consulate etc... and VISA charge? Where do I get bus, how much is it to get from say Sinchon to the bus? If I fly how much will it cost to get to airport, luxury taxes etc... It is often the little things that make the differnce when you fly. Flying canseem cheap but when you ad up transpo to airport, airport fees, etc... busing often looks better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: