Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yeongdeungpo, Seoul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malori

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Yeongdeungpo, Seoul Reply with quote

Does anybody know where Yeongdeungpo is located? I was told it is in or near Seoul. I tried searching on the web for information, but the welcome page was not in English. I wanted to know what it's like--what are some businesses nearby, recreation areas, etc. Thanks.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeongdeungpo, Seoul Reply with quote

malori wrote:
Does anybody know where Yeongdeungpo is located? I was told it is in or near Seoul.

In the lower Western-half of the map at the url below you'll see an island in the Han river- that island and the area just south of it is Yeongdeungpo-gu, famous for the tallest building in Korea and for being the 'Manhattan' of Korea. You might take that description with a grain of salt, but anyway it's where most of the TV companies have their studios, LG has it's twin towers HQ, and the where the National Assembly is located. There are Riverside parks; Cherry Trees blossoming are a big attraction; A Costco is nearby.
http://english.tour2korea.com/sightseeing/destination/depth03_direct.asp?Address=6142
http://english.tour2korea.com/sightseeing/destination/depth04.asp?oid=&sightseeing_id=246&ADDRESS_1=6142&ADDRESS_2=&sight=sightseeing
indiercj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youngdenpo is one of many big commercial district located in southwest area of Seoul. In the map you can easily spot it just south of the Yeu i do island(the big artificial island at the center). So it is not far from the CBD.

There are 3 major department stores, a traditional open market, a lot of bars and cafes and a red district. But also there are a lot of small factories because it was one of the biggest industrial park in Seoul until early 80's(hey, OB brewery is still located there. You won't be short of beers Wink ).

The air is not great but you have tons of green and open space in Yu i do and in water front of Han river which is just 20 minutes of walk away. It is a great place to picnic, ride bikes or rollerblade.

At the center of Youngdenpo is Lotte Department Store with a 5 screens(I think) multiplex cinema that is directly linked to subway and railway station. This is certainly not a upper class commercial district, but nevertheless it is fun to shop around and there are tons of places for a exciting nightlife. Just be aware of the 'red district' at the back of Shinsege Department Store. Hope this might helped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
weened

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it also has a sizeable residential district dominated by villas. there is some recent construction of the high-rise apt.s but you'll mostly find villas. you'll be less than 20 mins away from shinchon and hongdae and the park that's mentioned is great.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yongdeungpo is ok- not the best part of Seoul nor the worst. I find the area around Yongdeungo Station to be rather dirty. The park on Yeuido island is nice though, and like someone else said, it is close to Hongdae and Sinchon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: