Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

asian canadian seeking a teaching job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: asian canadian seeking a teaching job Reply with quote

I am going to be graduating from university next month and would like to go to Korea to teach english. However, I have heard stories about it being difficult for someone like myself to find a good job as I am asian but not korean. I was born in Canada and have lived here all my life. English is my first language and I speak it as well as french, fluently.
I would really appreciate anyone's honest opinion, experience and/or advice. Thanks
angela

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach with a Canadian-Korean. She left this school after one year, thinking she could find another position. She ended up returning to this school because she could not find a good job. All of the offers were from schools that would treat her like a Korean teacher, and we all know that that is not very good. Do not tell the recruiters right away that you are Asian. Right now Korean hogwans are looking for teachers due to the politicaly stuff going on with North Korea. Many teachers are waiting or just not coming here anymore. So you likely have a lot better chance right now. Don't take the first offer though, there are some horrible positions here too.
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: I don't entirely agree Reply with quote

I disagree with not telling the recruiters at first.

Do you think they will change their minds later just because you didn't tell them up front? You'll just be wasting your time if they find out later and dump you, in my opinion. People have shown up at the airport and then been rejected -- it's not unheard of. Best to be honest upfront.

There are schools out there who will hire a Gyopo. They do work here. You can't be as choosy, but it isn't impossible. Also, you have more freedom if you can get the other Visa (E4 instead of E2???).
atc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I am not korean, but vietnamese-canadian. My concern is that even though I speak perfect english like any other causcasian-canadian, they would not want to hire me because I am of asian descent. I have seen many ads from schoools looking for korean speaking english teachers so I know a korean- canadian would be able to find a job. I have posted an ad stating I a 22 year female canadian am looking for a job and instantly got many offers but I have yet to send them my picture and resume. I guess I will reply and see what happens next. I just wanted anyone's advice and/or opinion. Thanks
K-in-C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Asian Canadian... Reply with quote

Hello,

Try www.jackiesclinic.com. They hired a chinese american.

Good luck,

K
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: atc Reply with quote

Sorry I assumed you were Korean/Canadian...

I am not sure what to tell you, but I would think it would be more difficult to get a job.

I have a North Vietnamese friend here, by the way. She doesn't teach English, but she is a nice lady. If you want to meet some Viet people, I might be able to hook you up with a few. One is married to a South Viet ambassador to Korea.
atc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: no luck :( Reply with quote

I tried Jackie's clinic and they said that they don't have any job postions until August. I posted a job wanted ad and got lots of offers. I wrote back to a few schools asking for more informatio and they replied giving me more information and told me to send my resume and photo. After sending my resume and recent photo I haven't heard back. This is also the case of recruiting agencies too. I think I am going to write back to them and see what else they say. Wish me luck!
Anybody else know of any other schools that I could try? I am available to leave Canada May 14
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, this is an image based industry, and unless you look like an extra in some Nazi propaganda film, you'll probably be SOL.
atc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: still looking.. Reply with quote

I haven't found a job yet Sad but I have been in contact with a recruiter from a company called ABC Literacy and Recruiting Comapny. He has actually had the decency to write back to me even after he found out I was not white. He seems very sincere and helping me find a job. Has anyone ever heard of this company? Is it better to go with a recruiting company? Also does anyone know of any American or Canadian owned schools in central Seoul that are looking for teachers? I heard that they are less discriminating against non- white native english teachers than korean owned senglish chools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: