Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is considered good pay these days?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
travelinbri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: What is considered good pay these days? Reply with quote

When I was there, a good teacher could get a job pretty easy that paid around 2.5, but these days I am hearing it is hard to find job paying more than 2.1 or 2.2, I dont wanna ask how much any of you get paid, I am jsut curious, as I am stateside and lookign at jobs, has the payscale gone down with the economy, or is it just youc an land a much better job over there, or both, but in general, what is the average pay of a good job (not a lousy job),

thanks in advance...
travelinbri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
panthermodern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pay is more than a BIG NUMBER ...

OR ...

MONEY MEANS NOTHING IN THIS EQUATION ...

You must look at $ vs. TIME vs. B.S.

Look at as a wage: $/Hour not a salary...

2.5 M won may sound good:

BUT is 2.5 M = 130+ hours for Monday - Saturday

better than

1.8 M won = 90 hours for Monday - Friday

Look for these key points:

Split shifts
Manditory Pre-Time
Maditory Overtime

and then:

Housing and other benifits.

I see at it as thus: I show up at work and then I go home. Every second I am not doing what I want to do I am WORKING!

I do not care about Breaks or other ... things ...

MY POINT ...

X Mega won per month MEANS NOTHING ...

In Korea the bottom line is the last thing you should worry about ...

And they will lie anyway ...

Good Luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gollum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countdown until Real Reality posts another useless fact we've all seen 10000 times.
justagirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

better than

Exactly. I make 1.9 million and work Monday-Thursday, 3-8pm.
Would I trade that for 2.5million/6-day workweeks, having to be available from 9am to 10 pm? I think not.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gollum wrote:
Countdown until Real Reality posts another useless fact we've all seen 10000 times.

I'm bracing for this. Him swooping down and telling us the average wage of a Korean bank employee is x million won a month.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justagirl wrote:
Quote:

better than

Exactly. I make 1.9 million and work Monday-Thursday, 3-8pm.
Would I trade that for 2.5million/6-day workweeks, having to be available from 9am to 10 pm? I think not.

Amen. Also add 500,000 won for your free apartment. So you're really grossing/netting 2.4 million a month.

I net 1.934 million a month. I teach about 17 hours a week. That's 28,000 won an hour or 35,000 won an hour if you work in the free apartment. At current exchange rates thats about CAN $39 an hour. That's $4 more an hour I was billing my last high tech client for technical writing services. $35 an hour for a 40 hour week, over a year, is a $72,000 a year job. I'm really not complaining.

If you really wanted to work a traditional 8 hour day, you could hustle and do 3 hours of privates a day. That would bring you up to 4.2 million won a month. Gosh, that's way above RR's "what are koreans paying themselves for working 10 hours a day at a stuffy insane bank job and having to wear a suit!" gripes.
Demophobe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't worked a weekend nor for less than 2.6 million in years.
I_Am_Wrong

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mindmetoo"][quote="justagirl"]
Quote:
. At current exchange rates thats about CAN $39 an hour. .

You've made a mistake in your calculation of the exchange rates. The Canadian dollar is valued higher against the won as it is a stronger currency. It costs you more won to buy Canadian currency so your calculation is greatly inflated because it should go the other way. BTW the recent strengthening of the Canadian dollar means for all us Canadians our pay has technically gone down...and will go lower as the Can dollar is speculated to gain another 5 cents within the year. peace. Good for us if we live in Canada....not good if you live out of Canada and and want to trade a weak Korean Won into dollars.
phaedrus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_Am_Wrong wrote:
mindmetoo wrote:
At current exchange rates thats about CAN $39 an hour. .

You've made a mistake in your calculation of the exchange rates. The Canadian dollar is valued higher against the won as it is a stronger currency. It costs you more won to buy Canadian currency so your calculation is greatly inflated because it should go the other way. BTW the recent strengthening of the Canadian dollar means for all us Canadians our pay has technically gone down...and will go lower as the Can dollar is speculated to gain another 5 cents within the year. peace. Good for us if we live in Canada....not good if you live out of Canada and and want to trade a weak Korean Won into dollars.

No, it costs about 900 won to buy a dollar. That means if you buy 35 dollars, you still have won left.

The Canadian dollar is growing stronger against the U.S. dollar, but so are most other currencies.

However, in the past year or so the won has gone down quite a bit compared to the Canadian dollar, so it's really not so good.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_Am_Wrong wrote:

According to yahoo's currency calculator 35,000 won converts to $38 canadian (at the time of this posting).

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/convert?amt=35000&from=KRW&to=CAD&submit=Convert

There's increasing pressure on the Korean government to stop devaluing the Won and let it rise. A crappy Won makes exports cheap. That's all well and good when commodity prices remain stable, like they were a few years ago. However, a cheap Won also makes rising oil and raw material imports expensive. So that ends up making exports more expensive in the long run. A stronger Won would bring prices into better balance. In short, I'd not sell Won right now.

Last edited by mindmetoo on Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wangja

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12,000 USD pm plus nothing.
travelinbri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good points, all of them. I worked three years in South Korea, so I have a very decent idea about contracts, I am just curious what the average and above average contract looks like these days.
Thanks,
-TBri
Drakoi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.0 with housing for 25 hrs/wk
jajdude

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mindmetoo wrote:

Also add 500,000 won for your free apartment.

I wonder what the average one is worth. I had a not very good "one room" in Yongin before that rented for less than 300,000. Better than a "go shi won" but not by a great amount. In (most of) Seoul perhaps 500,000 would be about right for somewhere you could live but probably not be thrilled with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: