Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changwon: opinions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Changwon: opinions? Reply with quote

Hi,

It seems like there�s little work In the larger Korean cities. I�ve received offers from a few smaller places, like Changwon.

I�m looking for war stories form Changwon: the good, the bad and the ugly of it.

There are no expat sites about the place that offer details about the following:

Shopping
Nightlife
Restaraunts
Expat community

I�d love to hear more about these things, since I might end up finding work there. A large city isn�t important, but one that:
a.) have legal schools that will give me work where I don�t have to work weekends

b.) There is a close-knit, decent foreign teaching community

c.) and where decent pub life is available 7 days a week.

So, can any f you In the peanut gallery tell me about Changwon, specifically � I�d appreciate it.

Cheers,

Joe
just because

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Changwon so i'll give you the goss:
Basically it apparently is the cleanest city in Korra because it is the only planned city. It is big enough that you can get anything(Emart, Homeplus and Lotte are here) but small enough that it is nice to live here. If you need to really party Busan is only a 45 minute 4000 bus ride away.
Anyway, I'll answer your questions in order:
1)The weekend work is what you make of it I suppose. I think about 50% do weekends here. I don't but I know plenty that do but I know more and more contracts here are starting to make andatory weekend work.
2) The foreign community is pretty close-knit. There is an Irish pub here that basically everyone gathers at and has the big screen for all the sporting events(World cup rugby), and stacks of DVDs. The owner is an Irish guy who is great. many great foreigners to meet(but the usual amount of idiots too).
3) Ditto above about the pub life.

I've lived here for 2 years and I like it a lot. However, my job is good and I enjoy living in foreign countries so I'm easy to please. Some people don't liuke it as it is not like Seoul but as I said Busan is just up the road. If you get some offers from some school drop me a PM and I'll see if i can scope it out.
jacktar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't respond earlier because I haven't lived there in 2 years and you know how much things can change in this country in that amount of time. Just wondering, is the IP still rockin' or has this Irish place taken over as teh expat bar of choice?
just because

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IP is still hopping but it seems to have been taken over by a mix of GIs and Russian dancers. Still the same owner though.
However, the Irish bar definantly has the lions share at present because he caters for a foreign and not a Korean crowd. But the way it is working out heaps of Koreans are coming as well because it is well lit and looks goog(well better than Ip, which was pretty dark and dank). Anyway, a projector screen TV is great plus it has a pool table which is good as well.
K-in-C

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Chillin in Changwon Reply with quote

I second everything just because said. Smile

Cheers,

Kate in Changwon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: