Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Hogwan Director is cheap when.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Austin Powers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Your Hogwan Director is cheap when....... Reply with quote

* The kids lunch consists of a few spoons of rice, a piece of seaweed, and a few bean shoots
* No soap or towels in the toilets
* No toilet paper in the toilets
* Your power is cut off on weekends while you are away, to save on fridge running expenses
* His wife wears clothes from Vogue (1956!!!!!!)
* The pilot light for the hot water system in the Kitchen is turned off
* There is no tea or coffee in staff room
* To save on employing a janitor, the cleaning is done by the teachers
* There are no teacher manuals
* The computers are Pentium 1's

These are some of my examples, got any more!!!!!!
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Photocopies for student handouts, when available, are printed on the back of old resumes of potential teachers, that had been fed into the copier as scrap. (Seen this in two schools now, one a university. Shocked )

2. The university holds classes in August with 50 students in a small room with no air-conditioning, no fans, a tiny window, and a sweaty, overheated foreigner dripping at the front of the 37 degree room. Frig - even the public schools have fans...
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
2. The university holds classes in August with 50 students in a small room with no air-conditioning, no fans, a tiny window, and a sweaty, overheated foreigner dripping at the front of the 37 degree room. Frig - even the public schools have fans...

Perhaps they are terrified of "Fan Death" with all those bodies AND fans sucking all of the oxygen out of the room Wink
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: cheap Reply with quote

Your director insists that you work for free as you are such a good friend...
it happened. Confused
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: cheap Reply with quote

Stunted Wookie wrote:
Your director insists that you work for free as you are such a good friend...
it happened. Confused

Never heard that particular one before...not the working for free, but the good friend part.

Sounds interesting Smile Care to elaborate?
bellum99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: my favorites Reply with quote

I love when they say" You must understand me" or " Trust me, I am a Christian"...if someone has to say trust me, then you shouldn't .
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thinker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unplugging the microwave to save electricity on the displayed zero Laughing
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to convince you not to get health insurance, so that he can save his half of the cost (despite the fact that the owner, who is himself a foreigner of Korean descent, applies for the same health insurance he's telling you that you don't need).

Hah!
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hogwan bus is not allowed to give you a ride to your apt complex (where they drop off the kiddies) cause the extra weight will result in higher gas consumption. This is a true story.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the hogwan bus is not allowed to give you a ride to your apt complex (where they drop off the kiddies) cause the extra weight will result in higher gas consumption. This is a true story.

For people that have no problem with leaving the doors and windows wide open when the heat is turned on, Koreans have some strange ideas about energy conservation.

Lots of us work in buildings where the elevators go to every other floor (2,4,6,Cool in theory to save power. I suppose it does stop princesses from taking the elevator from the 2nd floor to the 3rd (something they do in my apartment building all the time). But I question whether or not this actually results in a savings. If I'm going from the 6th to the 17th floor, it won't stop at the 17th (only stops at even numbers) so I go to the 18th and take the stairs down a floor.

Seems like this is wasting energy.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) Everytime you leave a room, even for a minute, close the door to save heating / cooling costs

(2) Work 5 1/2 months without doing your visa run yet to "maximize" your time with them

(3) Recruit for them

(4) You're are asked to sweep and mop the floor with your own mop and broom from home

(5) Asked to teach your boss' son for free after school

(6) Turn off the lights in the hallway when going into your class

(7) Hand-write exams instead of photo-copy them
mack the knife

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he sticks three guys in a 2 bedroom apt. (my bedroom is the "converted" living room with sliding, translucent doors) good morning!

has the gall to offer/promise to pay a total of 50,000 won to aformentioned 3 guys (that's 50,000 total) as a sort of "hardship" fee.

he revokes said "hardship" fee 2 months later, and when we ask about it he gets huffy and exclaims "not in contract!" duh!

said boss is later fired by co-owner for embezzling and other questionable business practices.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your director insists that working overtime without pay is "The Korean Way" and insists that you must adapt to the new country you are living in....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: