Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ideas for conversation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philinkorea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: ideas for conversation Reply with quote

hi there
i'm currently teaching a few older classes. about age 13, lets go 5-6 standard if that means anything to anybody. i'm just looking for some new games to aid conversation in class and have some fun and to be good for learning in general. we have a wot cards game with words which is good at the moment and scrabble but am looking for more conversation.

also if there are any books anyone could recommend to help conversation also i would be very interested

thanks
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using these books with my after-school middle school class, and it seems to be going well, once they get over being shy with each other:

Easy True Stories(a picture-based beginning reader)
by Sandra Heyer
Longman Press
-This book contains short, easy-to-understand stories, and several exercises for them to complete. It doesn't take much to turn it into a productive 40 minutes of learning.

Dogs Are From Jupiter(Peanuts at work and play)
-It's a comic strip book for Peanuts, specifically about Snoopy. Comic strips have easier dialogue. Plus, it's always dialogue, so...what better way to learn about conversation?
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games that require conversation.....too easy my friend!

Your students have to write a play, and then act it out (something simple of course).

Also, you can do the Yesterday Game. A student talks about his/her day yesterday, and all the students make notes. Then the next student gets up and talks about his/her day, until they all have a chance.

Then, the notes are compared?

What did students miss?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: