Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MY 6 DAY VACATION: Bangkok, Singapore, Beijing, or HK?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

6 valuable vacation days! Where to?
Bangkok
29%
 29%  [ 9 ]
Singapore
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Beijing
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
Hong Kong
35%
 35%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 31

nrvs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: MY 6 DAY VACATION: Bangkok, Singapore, Beijing, or HK? Reply with quote

I have 6 days off around xmas -- from the 23rd to the 28th. I'm trying to decide between Bangkok, Singapore, Beijing, or Hong Kong.

I've already been to both Singapore and Bangkok. Singapore once, and Bangkok several times. I liked both a lot, but for different reasons. I've never been to Beijing or HK.

I'm tempted just to go back to Bangkok because I know it pretty well and there's still a bunch of stuff I haven't seen. I could maximize my holiday while spending a minimum of cash. It'll be warm and sunny. Good beer and Indian food are plentiful.

I'm thinking that Beijing is best left for a warmer time of year. If it's chilly in Seoul, it's going to be cold as hell in China. But if you can convince me otherwise I'd be happy to give it a try. Is there good beer to drink? I don't think there is Indian food. Still, I'd love to try out my college-course Chinese for the first time and see the touristy stuff.

Singapore is warm, has tons of Indian food, but beer is kind of expensive. I also think I'd be pretty bored after the third day. Maybe I'd take a side trip to up to Melaka in Malaysia to amuse myself further (and eat more Indian food).

As for Hong Kong: Will it be warm there? How about beer and Indian food? I've heard it's similar to Singapore in that I'll run out of stuff to do after a few days.

So, what do you think? I haven't bought a ticket yet but I need to do that this week. Let me know your opinion!!!
trevorcollins

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong.
Indian food seems to be a priority for you.
Ex Brit colony and all. They do a good job there.
The dive Indian restaurants in Chungking Mansions are great.
Prices for stuff are comparable with Singapore I guess.
Bangkok does have everything you could want in choosing a city for a holiday destination though.
sadsac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Singapore and then drive to Malaysia. Spend a couple of days there and then fly back out of Singapore. It makes a nice change. Smile
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong is like Singapore but with a dramatic skyline. The harbor alone makes it worth visiting the city at least once in your life.

Beer is a bit pricey, very expensive at bars. It isn't too bad in stores and San Miguel is damn cheap. You can be like the local labor class: buy san miguel at a 7-11 or similar market and drink outside checking out people.

Can't tell you about the Indian food, never ate it in HKG. There is a wide variety of excellent food though, and the dim sum kicks ass.

Also, it is a shorter flight to HKG than to Bangkok (albeit not by THAT much).

don't go to singapore. You've already been there, don't know why you'd go back again for a short visit.

If you are on a small budget, go to Bangkok. If you can spend a fair amount, go to HKG.

Oh, and it is hardly ever cold in HKG from what I've read/heard, you'll be fine.
just because

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on Hong Kong as well.
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong is worth seeing, but 6 days? Too long for Hong Kong IMO. You said that you'll be bored after a few days of Singapore. If that's true, then Hong Kong will not be any better. It's a cool city, but not that much for a visitor to see, unless you're perfectly content with a 6-day bender.

Another reason I say too long for Hong Kong is that there's nowhere to go from there excpet Macau, of which you will be thoroughly bored after a few minutes. You could go to the mainland, but that would require a visa.

My verdict: Save Beijing for the summer, and save Hong Kong for an extended stopover. If you're up for fun in the sun, go down to Bangkok, then hit the beaches near town, or better yet, fly down to the islands for a few days. Or, go to Singapore and catch a 6-hour bus ride to Kuala Lumpur for a couple days. With 6 days, you have options in those places. With 6 days in HK, your only option is to wander around aimlessly for a week looking at the same concrete buildings. It gets old fast.

Edit: I just remembered something -- Thai Airways flies daily flights that stop in HK and then go on to Bangkok. What you can do is arrange a round-trip to Bangkok with Thai Airways, and pay a few bucks extra to get a 1- or 2-day stopover in Hong Kong. You'll be able to check out HK, and hit Bangkok.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose Bangkok.

Beijing would be MUCH better in the Summer.. as everything you want to see is outside.

Hong Kong would be alright.. but Bangkok seems best.
just because

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
Beijing would be MUCH better in the Summer.. as everything you want to see is outside.

Beijing is a shocker in summer. Its like a furnace with all the heat coming off the desert which is lapping not from Beijings back door-step. The heat is worse than anything in South-east Asia sometimes.
nrvs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

Ha, I wasn't expecting this response! Thanks everyone.

So far Bangkok is winning with me, too. That Thai airways stopover in HK sounds fantastic, J.B. Tomorrow I'm going to the YMCA travel agencies to inquire about fares and I'll be sure to ask about that.

Ultimately the fare will decide the battle. On tourexpress.co.kr, I found tickets for W485000 to either Bangkok or Singapore. That doesn't seem bad at all, considering it's over xmas. About W430000 to Beijing. Unfortunately I have no idea how to actually purchase anything on tourexpress. Hopefully the real-life travel agencies will have similar prices.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Beijing is a shocker in summer. Its like a furnace with all the heat coming off the desert which is lapping not from Beijings back door-step. The heat is worse than anything in South-east Asia sometimes.

No way, I was there in August. It was much cooler than Seoul. I hadn't been able to wear jeans in Korea since maybe May this year, I wore them every day in Beijing.

Beijing is great, but yeah, go somewhere warm for your break. You'll need it.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-6 days either fly to BKK and then grab a flight to samui and get some beach time or do HK, plenty to do there and so what if you need a visa to get into china, those are easy to arrange.

BTW I found Macau to be quite interesting
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if weather is not a factor then go to beijing dude!
my friend spent 10 days there and said it was FULL ON!!
he even went to the shaolin temple and trained there for 2 days. they have a program for tourists said it was amazing. the great wall.. the forbidden city and so much to see and do dude! ITS CHINA!!
go there man!! you will never regret that!
nrvs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited three travel agencies in the YMCA building today. I've decided to go to Bangkok, with a two-day stopover in Hong Kong.

Top Travel had the best deal -- W540000 + W74900 tax on Thai. Not really a "deal" compared to non-holiday season fares, but whatever. This is my only real vacation until the summer (when I'll go to Beijing). Anyway, the STA lady told me they don't even deal with tickets to Asia anymore...just Europe, Australia/NZ, and North America. This one-room place called Green Travel quoted me something ridiculous like W680000.

Anyway, I'm going back tomorrow to buy a ticket (I hope they'll still have seats). Thanks again to everyone, and especially to J.B. for letting me know about the HK stopover thing.

Last edited by nrvs on Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadsac wrote:
Go to Singapore and then drive to Malaysia. Spend a couple of days there and then fly back out of Singapore. It makes a nice change. Smile

He's talking sense here. Orgasmic Indian food.

Better yet, split your time between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, a cheap Air Asia flight away, or even cheaper 5 hour train ride through the palm plantations. KL rocks.
Lodix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Beijing Reply with quote

I spent 10 days in Beijing in March. It really got me excited to travel more through China. Bejing might not be the most exciting of the 4 options. Still I would recommend Beijing for the simple reason that it is changing so fast. I have friends of family in Beijing and they have been living in Beijing for 3 years. They claim that some of its initial charm is already gone. Big event like the Olympics can really change a city like that. Before you know it it will be like Seoul. What I loved about Beijing was that it is really China (not that I am an expert). Nobody speaks English. Hardly anything is in English. Anything that is written in English is unreadable because of the spelling and grammar errors. People there didn't get Americanized yet. Of course the market places are as crazy as I expect them to be in Bangkok (I'll check that out next week). I don't know how to describe it. It is the whole feeling of the city. I loved it. And I fear that will disappear soon. Does anyone understand what I am talking about?

Besides: the GREAT wall is about the most impressive structure I have ever seen in my life. I love my pictures!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: