Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MY 6 DAY VACATION: Bangkok, Singapore, Beijing, or HK?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

6 valuable vacation days! Where to?
Bangkok
29%
 29%  [ 9 ]
Singapore
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
Beijing
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
Hong Kong
35%
 35%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 31

Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Beijing Reply with quote

Lodix wrote:
Before you know it it will be like Seoul. What I loved about Beijing was that it is really China (not that I am an expert). Nobody speaks English. Hardly anything is in English. Anything that is written in English is unreadable because of the spelling and grammar errors. People there didn't get Americanized yet. Of course the market places are as crazy as I expect them to be in Bangkok (I'll check that out next week). I don't know how to describe it. It is the whole feeling of the city. I loved it. And I fear that will disappear soon. Does anyone understand what I am talking about?

Besides: the GREAT wall is about the most impressive structure I have ever seen in my life. I love my pictures!

That was one of the things I didnt like about Beijing - almost NO one spoke any English. Same throughout most of where I went in China. You forget that in Korea, you can write down a word on a piece of paper, and someone can figure it out for you.

In Beijing, I walked around with the word "INTERNET" thinking it was universal, and I couldnt find any. They also arent prevalent like in Seoul. Actually few things are prevalent. When I wanted to eat, I had to make it into a big long journey, same with wanting a beer. They definetely didnt have them on every corner, or even remotely anything like that.

Also, true they arent like Koreans - which is a good thing. But I also found Beijing people a bit boring and the city was dull. Random girls you meet in a bar or even the ones on the street want to do some sex exchange thing Rolling Eyes they go home with you if you give them money. No thanks - waste of time talking to them. (Well, thats based on two Chinese girls that I started talking to in the bar), and had a few approach me in the streets while I was walking around the expat drinking area.

Main thing though is that exchange of communication was impossible. Couldnt really talk to most people at all. I also thought the Great Wall was extremely over-rated. Its basically just a wall, I have walked over more interesting railroad tracks. Granted, it has a lot of historical value, which I respect however.
jajdude

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there were only 4 options but I'd say if not BKK I'd go to a fifth place, likely elsewhere in SE Asia.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what did you decide?
andrew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by andrew on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small cities like HK and Singapore are great for that short time. Beijing would be too cold. I'd say HK. It's a great city. More to do there than Singapore I think. Better night life than Singapore too. I'd still pick Singapore 2nd. I'd say save Bangkok for sometime that you have more time to get to places around it.

Where did you go, by the way?
nrvs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, this thread!

I went to Singapore and had a fantastic time. The food was especially great, as was hanging out with my Singaporean friends. Aside from that, the weather was exactly what I needed in the dead of the Korean winter.

I'm in the process of making a photo website of all the delicious vegetarian meals I ate there; I'll post the URL when it's finished.
Vingilot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Beijing... Reply with quote

What's Bejing like in June? Is it so hot it's not worth going to, or is it decent?
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was very hot at the end of July (36-3Cool but I don't mind the heat as long as I'm not carrying too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: