Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you noticed how Koreans behave abroad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pets wonderland

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matko-

I'm not sure if you even know what a 'typical' Korean is. I've spent no more than 6 years of my life in Korea. There was a very big gap between my first visit and the next one. If anything, I've been visiting Japan since my uni days so U could say I'm more exposed to the modern Japanese culture than Korean culture. I'm ethnically Korean, but I've actually spent most of my life in Australia.

As for being sensitive to criticism, I wouldn't call your posts 'criticisms' as such. They just seem to be random snipes at the Korean culture and people, without any real valuable info. Tell you what, my BF is an English teacher in Japan and although he wanted to come and teach in Korea, I advised him against it. There are just too many unstable contracts and shifty hagwon bosses and it takes time to establsi oneself here. Now if I'm a typical Korean who can't take criticisms, I would've told him about the glories of Korea and how Korea is much better than Japan. I wouldn't be so swift in making judgements, if I were you.

So, I'm certainly not going to stop you from posting whatever you want to post. Why, the very fact you're still posting on this board indicates you musr secretly miss Korea-Rolling Eyes

I'm not offended by your posts on jleague or boa-couldn't care less, but what I'm referring to is the general gist of your posts. Having visited japan many times, your posts seem to reflect what a lot of japanese think about Korea and Koreans. When you sat things like 'Koreans are a pathetic bunch' I often think of the Korean students I've seen in Oz slaving away at their degrees and having a second job to support themselveses as well as learning a new language. Despite what a lot of people think, they're not all rich brats out to have a good time. I've seen some pathetic Koreans too, but to just group a certain race as 'pathetic' seems awfully unfair, an attitude that seems to say 'I'm way above these people'.

By the way, I'll certainly respond to your posts in the future if it bothers me. You can be sure of that.
matko

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I do miss some things about Korea. Living there is not one of them.
That's not why I post here.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Ugly Korean? Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of the book written by a Japanese (and translated into Korean) about Koreans travelling abroad? I believe the name was somehing like "Ugly Koreans". Anyways, it caused quite a stir but pointed out how Koreans act when travelling and actually says that many hotels and restaurants refuse to host Korean groups....even hotels and restaurants run by expat Koreans!

On another note I have actually travelled with a Korean tour group and I found that the group did not live up to these stereotypes at all. Everyone was well-mannered and quite polite and accomodating.

I can't say I care for their penchent for travelling in large homogeneous groups...but to each their own!
indiercj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear, Pets wonderland. I totally understand how you feel reading this matko guy's posts. But i think arguing against his attitute or his personal experience he had and not some facts which is provided from time to time is useless. He has all his rights to say what he thinks about koreans and praise everything japanese. These things are just not arguable IMO. Just don't be bothered. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
matko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indiercj

When did I praise everything Japanese?
indiercj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matko wrote:
indiercj

When did I praise everything Japanese?

You did not? Umm Ok. I got it. Sorry, my mistake. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Canadian Teacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also lived in Korea and Japan at length. I understand what is going on in the thread and will put my two Yen worth.

As a country to spend your daily life in, Japan wins HANDS DOWN over Korea. Japan is a first class act. It is a mature, developed nation. You do not see rock throwing mobs on the street. I made many real Japanese friends in Japan and still stay in contact with them.

The problem with Japan, and I am sure Makto will agree with me, is working there. I hated the companies I worked for in Japan. I worked like a dog and made W260,000 a month, which is chicken feed in Japan. Taxi drivers do way better than that. All my employers in Japan were skinflints who treated me like expendable white trash. That is because I was. There were hundreds of younger and more female people waiting to take my job.

Korea is not a paradise but it is improving. The mobs on the street can really wig you out until you realise what is going on. Korea is grappling with what democracy and really does not understand it. Demonstrators go to each others demos to make them look big but it is really very small numbers, especially in a top down society like Korea. Last year's orgy of hate was really a leftover of the world cup. The kids participating did not understand what they were doing, nor the damamge it would, and has, caused to Korea's reputation and economy.

The good thing about Korea is working here. I have a really good job. I get tons of time off, a great salary (more in absolute terms than in Japan) a really nice pad, lots of perks, etc. The money and perks make Korea more than tolerable.

In seven years in Korea we have saved a real bundle. The secret to living in Korea is having a nice home to go to at the end of the day. If you have a nice place, life in Korea is much easier.
matko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanadianTeacher,

I agree with the skinflint part. The owners of the two companies that I have worked for are super cheap!!!! My boss in Korea was much more generous (until it came down to paying me my bonus Rolling Eyes )

I work way less in Japan than I did in Korea and get alot more vacation time here.

I guess what it comes down to is finding the right job, in either country.

Matko
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: jeeezz have you seem how koreans behave HERE! Reply with quote

they act rude and arrogant right here!!
I think not only koreans, I think every country people are patriotic about something, The americans, the super power, japan the best asian country
Italy the country with history, culture blar blar, the french emmmm because we are french.. ahhahahha..
you get my drift..
still yes koreans act like A holes here and abroad, so does everyone else,
problem is we see it everyday because we are foreigners, if we left to live in another country I am sure we would witness it there too...
peemil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Japanese...not much better then Koreans when travelling in S.E. Asia

The Japanese in Australia are pretty good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: