Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the Weirdest side dish you've ever had or seen?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: What's the Weirdest side dish you've ever had or seen? Reply with quote

Awhile back at one of my favorite watering holes they served the best popcorn I've ever had. Alas, one day they ran out and served a bowl of dry Frosted Flakes (yes, the breakfast cereal) with our beer. Have you ever had a side dish (freebie or paid) or seen something on the menu that was worse than that?

On a similar though slightly less offensive note, for some strange reason the microbreweries in Busan like the idea of a half loaf of bread with butter and honey as a good compliment to beer. Go figure.
Zed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I prefer the bread and honey with beer over a plate of watermelon and chocolate covered corn puffs. Ughh

Actually, the idea of honey with beer sounds intriguing. I've been known to like a honey brown ale whereas the idea of a raspberry wheat ale makes my stomach churn. Hazelnut beer is also a treat in my books.

I hope I haven't thrown the thread off already.
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Fri May 09, 2008 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had coffee bread today. It was a bad as you can imagine coffee bread to be.

CLG
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: What's the Weirdest side dish you've ever had or seen? Reply with quote

Cthulhu wrote:
Awhile back at one of my favorite watering holes they served the best popcorn I've ever had. Alas, one day they ran out and served a bowl of dry Frosted Flakes (yes, the breakfast cereal) with our beer. Have you ever had a side dish (freebie or paid) or seen something on the menu that was worse than that?

On a similar though slightly less offensive note, for some strange reason the microbreweries in Busan like the idea of a half loaf of bread with butter and honey as a good compliment to beer. Go figure.

I used to find it weird that many Koreans would down copious amounts of whiskey and then sip on some milk later on. Then I tried it: it coats the stomach!

You�ll be grateful the morning after Wink

Weirdest anju� Hmmmm�. Dried squid. It smells like sweaty butt and tastes like bland boot leather (and only smells worse once it�s re-cooked)�

Slightly unrelated � I used to see a Japanese teacher while in Korea. Her big thing when cuddling up over a movie was to cook each potato chip over the candle (used as romantic �ambience� or at least that was what it was SUPPOSED to be used for) before eating them!

Real men drink on empty stomachs and cough up their intestines� � something I wished Sam Peckinpah had said�

Cheers,

Joe
jacktar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sound of honey and bread with beer. The strangest sidedish I can think of was some kind of salty fermented raw fish. Kind of like myulchi but raw and wet and saucy like. Nasty stuff. Extremely strong taste too.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: What's the Weirdest side dish you've ever had or seen? Reply with quote

Joe Thanks wrote:
I used to find it weird that many Koreans would down copious amounts of whiskey and then sip on some milk later on. Then I tried it: it coats the stomach!

Milk, ice cream, and spearmint are all good at protecting the stomach from indigestion and other business of that nature. If I have a rough night out, I try to pick up one of those cheap ice creams here to help mellow out the effects the next day. It'll make you fatter than ever, but I don't drink enough to have it really make a difference.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fried crickets (accompanying sam gyup sal)
Eunoia

Location: In a seedy karakoe bar by the banks of the mighty Bosphorus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was with dinner, not with drinks...

Pig's spinal cord.
Dalton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything sweet. Don't like sweet and beer.
Pretzels coated with sugar.
The white crystals made them look like salted pretzels.
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right--salt goes best with beer, not sugar.
shawner88

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I taught in Ulsan, one day we had a co-worker goodbye party for one of the Korean girls. We went to a sushi restaurant. Halfway into the meal they brought out freshly killed raw octopus tentacles. They were still writhing and wiggling on the plate. It was horrible. The Koreans loved it, to my adbomination. They ate it while it was still moving! Also at that same restaurant they served illegal whale meat. I tried it. I don't know what the fuss in Japan is over that stuff. It tastes like rotten butter. So gross. I spit it out and almost gagged. It leaves a rancid taste in your mouth too.
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh octopus? That stuff isn't half bad--worse in the visuals and the things sticking to the plate and your throat. Actually there's hardly any taste at all except for the strong sesame oil (which I don't care for). I'll take that over chicken butts any day.
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once ate a side dish that didn't taste like chillis! unfarkenbelievable!
funplanet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snake's gall bladder blood in China...wow! whatta a burst of energy, though.... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: