Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pronounciation classes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Pronounciation classes... Reply with quote

What exactly are pronounciation classes? And what does one do in one? I am guessing discussion and sounding out words, etc, anyone have any suggestions?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blue Flower...

A pronunciation class could be a range of things... What is the age range and level of the students? I've taught phonics to kids and more complex pronunciation methodology to university students and they're obviously very different.

When teaching kids, I found that they were afraid of being singled out or laughed at by their peers for their bad pronunciation, so I usually get the whole class chanting and check kids individually that they are making the correct sound and using their mouth in the correct way. It's a lot less intimidating for them this way.

Getting students to use a small mirror to mimic your facial movement is also quite helpful.

Have you had a look at this thread about the problems Koreans have with English pronunciation? It identifies the problems and also has a lot of great suggestions... check out Mokpochica's two posts...

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=2316

Here's a link to website I used last year when teaching University students... you might be able to modify some of this stuff for your older students.

http://pronunciation.englishclub.com/index.html

I had great success with the tongue twisters with the uni students who really seemed to enjoy laughing at themselves when they mixed everything up Wink
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou! thats great. For my elementary school classes I have these wildly interesting workbooks to use, but one of my elementary classes are only at the alphabet stage, and another teacher said to teach them pronounciation. (?) so we did the alphabet, which was great fun Laughing and then spelled my name, elephant and frog. I never thought about the different sounds of combined letters.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite topic! Pronunciation! Seriously though, I think we all work a lot on this to try to avoid the Konglishee accent.

I think a great way to practice pronunciation is to learn songs in English. If you can introduce kids to easy songs, like 'Mary had a Little Lamb' with just picture cards at first, their pronunciation will be even better than if you try to have them read and sing along with the lyrics. Think of the way we learn out 1st language...1st we learn the words and then the spellings of the words.

There are a lot of great ideas for pronunciation in the idea cookbook too.
http://www.eslcafe.com/ideas/sefer.cgi?Pronunciation:
Check out the flyswatter game and R/L (or minimal pairs) Bingo as well. They have been great successes for me in my bigger classes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: