Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High School Job Warning -- not as rosey as we thought
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gollum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've told them straight-out that if they can't guarentee me the same vacation and a small increase in pay, that I'll walk. They can take the money they save from hiring some green idiot with a fake degree and go bang the hell out of some room salon chick for all I care.

If they "promise" me that I'll get certain vacation time and then don't deliver, they'll have a runner on their hands.

*beep* 'em.
fidel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just signed a two year contract today with the same vacation as this year, approx 14 weeks and a standard raise so I'm happy. Obviously the gyeonggi policies don't extend to Seoul. FYI I'm not part of EPIK but got independently hired at a private high school in Gangnam.

Hope all goes well your contract negotiations.
Good luck!
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daechidong Waygookin wrote:
[quote="crazylemongirl. What can I say, I think that overall the public school job is superior to the hagwon job in almost every respect.

In vacation time, maybe. But how about pay? If you take the time to do the research and have on hand Korean friends who can help you, one can land a job with a good hakwon (yes these mythical creatures do exist). I really don't get these people who come over here to teach and say that a "good" job consists of doing as little as possible of what they came over for. Since I actually like teaching, vacation time is not as big an issue for me as pay is. I would think in that case, a good hakwon is better.
Daechidong Waygookin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Daechidong Waygookin wrote:
[quote="crazylemongirl. What can I say, I think that overall the public school job is superior to the hagwon job in almost every respect.

In vacation time, maybe. But how about pay? If you take the time to do the research and have on hand Korean friends who can help you, one can land a job with a good hakwon (yes these mythical creatures do exist). I really don't get these people who come over here to teach and say that a "good" job consists of doing as little as possible of what they came over for. Since I actually like teaching, vacation time is not as big an issue for me as pay is. I would think in that case, a good hakwon is better.

Pay. Well, find me a hagwon that pays me more than my school and Ill see. And get them to throw in a breeze of a schedule and vacation time that even approaches whaty I get (6 weeks off starting from Dec 30).

I took the job because of pay. I know of one hagwon that offers more money. That would be the Poly hagwons. I havent seen an ad offering more.
fidel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my school pays more than 90% of hogwans and offers stackloads of vacation time, respect, free catered lunch, monthy restaurant excursions, at least 4 weeks of half days due to exams, early finishes for those after hour extras, full control of curriculum and students, medium sized classes and stability. Show me the hogwan thats better than that I ask.
Daechidong Waygookin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidel wrote:
Well my school pays more than 90% of hogwans and offers stackloads of vacation time, respect, free catered lunch, monthy restaurant excursions, at least 4 weeks of half days due to exams, early finishes for those after hour extras, full control of curriculum and students, medium sized classes and stability. Show me the hogwan thats better than that I ask.

There isnt. Even if they take your vacations, and cut them down to 2 weeks, there are still so many reasons why public school gigs are way better.
Derrek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely my problem.

I can't go back to a hagwon situation, and would have a difficult time dealing with giving anything up.

The solution?

Masters (or 2nd BA) here I come! hahahah
Daechidong Waygookin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
Precisely my problem.

I can't go back to a hagwon situation, and would have a difficult time dealing with giving anything up.

The solution?

Masters (or 2nd BA) here I come! hahahah

I dont think I could either. Though there are some hagwon that pay a lot of money. Still, would be hard to go back.
Derrek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is just to go on "their word" for their vacation, and use the extra time at work with nothing to do as an "online study time" to study for my Masters. Currently e-mailing folks back home at my University to see if they have some way I can take some courses online then finish the rest when I go home. Good news is that they will likely accept me, I think, even though my undergrad GPA was just below 3.0 (I had a 2.9Cool. I would have been higher, but I got a full-time job in my last semester and my grades tanked.

Getting the Distance Education Masters while at school teaching might be enough to talk my school out of requiring me to take a virtually worthless TESL certificate.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanadaCommando wrote:

My problem is that they are turning foreign teachers into Hogwan works instead of respecting the profession. I teach more blocks than most of my K coworkers, because I can't do administrative stuff. I also have to do a bunch of Extra Curric stuff, often on Sat. My job is v. similar to that of my co-workers, and yet this new system will introduce a benefits hierarchy that will clearly place the FT at the bottom. Why? JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN.

Fingers crossed that it doesnt hit Seoul.

I mentioned earlier that I think that this standardisation of stuff is going to hurt a lot of schools who have built up a good relationship with their teacher. Myself and another co-worker in the area do stuff above and beyond the contract (her a lot more than me) yet if they start pulling this nonsense then the other extra cirric stuff is gone and we'll work to rule.

Quote:
Show me the hogwan thats better than that I ask.

But the point of this thread is that these conditions are being clawed back. GEPIK only offers 2 weeks vacation, 22 hours per week teaching, but you have to be on site for 40 hours and teach classes of 40+ students. For that you get 1.8 if you have basic qualifications. That isn't that much better than what the hogwons are offering, especially for first timers with a BA in basket weaving who IMHO shouldn't be teaching in the public schools anyway. And people are jumping at that!

I think that Gyeonggi has gone about this the wrong way and instead of trying to build up a solid base of teachers by offering good ones incententives to stay. Instead they are going for sheer volumes of people and driving conditions down for those already in the system so they leave, creating an even bigger vacuum of people. Congratulations guys!
fidel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the point of this thread is that these conditions are being clawed back

Not in Seoul at my school, in fact conditions have improved in my new contract.

Last edited by fidel on Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidel wrote:

Not in Seoul at not at my school, in fact conditions have improved in my new contract.

Good for you Rolling Eyes This is a gyeonggi do thing.
fidel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, but as many posters pointed out, they were unsure whether or not schools in Seoul were going to enforce similiar policies and I was merely pointing out that in my case they aren't, so........ Rolling Eyes right back at you.
Daechidong Waygookin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidel wrote:
Perhaps, but as many posters pointed out, they were unsure whether or not schools in Seoul were going to enforce similiar policies and I was merely pointing out that in my case they aren't, so........ Rolling Eyes right back at you.

Who'd wanna live in kyeonggi anyway? Im in the same boat as fidel.
Derrek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fidel wrote:
Quote:
But the point of this thread is that these conditions are being clawed back

Not in Seoul at my school, in fact conditions have improved in my new contract.

Good for you... for now... but expect that in the future, things will change.

What do you think will happen when all of the teachers with good qualifications and previous Korean secondary education experience leave the Kyonggi jobs and flood the market looking for jobs in Seoul?

Do you think it will still be easy to argue for higher pay, and keep your hours the same? Do you think your Korean bosses will not seize the opportunity to join-in with Kyonngi-do and offer less pay?

History has shown that your situation doesn't look rosey, either. This may be your last contract of bliss. Enjoy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: