Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fired before I even started! - Any comeback?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hagwon Muppet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Fired before I even started! - Any comeback? Reply with quote

I was due to start working at a new school from mid April having agreed everything and signed a new contract. Now it transpires that the director has had a change of heart and decided to hire someone else because they are cheaper so they inform me today they want to cancel the contract.

Is this legal?

Can I get any compensation here? Is it worth pursuing?

Obviously I don't want to work at the school now but I knocked back other jobs to take this one and now I'm left with no job.

Normally I wouldn't bother pursuing this but I've reached my tolerance threshold with dodgy Korean hagwon owners.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I get any compensation here? Is it worth pursuing?

Obviously I don't want to work at the school now but I knocked back other jobs to take this one and now I'm left with no job.

Pretty typical hogwon nonsense. Your chances of compensation are nil, but the bright side is you may have just dodged a bullet - imagine working for such a school for a year.

It sucks that you had to turn down other offers, but in Hogwon World, this sort of practice comes with the territory. It happened to me once too, back in 1996. No real option but to move on, a little wiser. Nothing's for sure until you're on the plane. And even then...
The Bobster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Lemon here - you got some good news without realizing it. However inconvenient it is to start your job search again, it's likely nothing to the heartache you likely just escaped.

Might get tagged as an apologist for mentioning this, but it sometimes happens from the other direction, too - i.e., sometimes a teacher gets that far along in the process and suddenly gets a better offer (or one that looks better, not always the same thing). While it seems slimy for a hagwon to negotiate with more than one teacher for the same position, that might be one reason it happens.

Sometimes, also, the teacher might bail on a firm offer at the 11th hour for reasons having to do with suddenly changing their mind about coming to live in the Killbox for a year ... causes no end of hassles for the school to suddenly need to find a teacher fast or rearrange their class rosters at the last minute.

In this case they made a decision based on money, and probably not a lot of money, either. Lemon's right, you'll be better off elsewhere.
Hagwon Muppet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right about it being a lucky escape.

Already had 2 hagwons in the last 6 months and had to leave them both because of money trouble. This was No. 3.

Whats the record for most schools in a single year? Wink
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: well Reply with quote

A friend of mine was at 5 for one year.

I did 3 in a year (big troubles in little Korea)...

I think you got shafted....can I ask what your wage was going to be, and what country you're from?

I have a theory about a certain segment (nationality) of the ESL community saying that they would work for less than 2 million just to secure a job.

Anyone else seen evidence of this?

Happened a lot in Taiwan ....
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it, but I was unemployed and hanging around Seoul, spending my savings, at the time. So I was desperate.
Hagwon Muppet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was supposed to be on 2.0m (had to argue for that and it was a pay cut for me but I was OK with it) but apparently they hired and I quote 'some Indian guy who was cheaper'

Poor guy. I assume hes on 1.8 as that was their opening offer to me.
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagwon Muppet wrote:

Poor guy. I assume hes on 1.8 as that was their opening offer to me.

Yes, I too feel very sorry for this poor, unfortunate soul, who cannot legally receive an E2 visa (unless he's actually a citizen of, say, Canada. But that's beside the point), and is only earning roughly 2200 bucks (Canadian) per month with his housing provided.

Poor guy indeed.

PS- I clear between 3- 4 M per month, so I'm not bitter. But way back when (1 year ago, to be exact) was making 1.9, and I lived very comfortably.
Hagwon Muppet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my 'poor guy' comment was in relation to the fact that he has to work at a hagwon where they would hire someone and then cancel it in order to save a couple of hundred thousand won a month. Wonder what will happen to him when they decide to not bother paying him sometime because money is a bit tight or decide to fire him just before bonus time?

Your assuming he hasn't got an e2 visa - I wouldn't be certain of that.
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming he doesn't have an E2 visa, if, as I gathered from your earlier post, he is an Indian citizen (from India). In that case, it is legally impossible for him to receive an E2 teaching visa. To get the E2 visa, one must be from a country where English is the primary spoken language. Only citizens of Canada, the US, UK, Ireland, South Africa, NZ and Australia qualify.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've unlocked the thread and moved all the India related responses to a new thread that can be found at

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=3078

I return you to your regular conversation...sorry for the interruption
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: