Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I stay or Should I go
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should I do about my job?
Run For The Hills
92%
 92%  [ 13 ]
Stick It Out (maybe it'll get better...)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

I_Am_Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Should I stay or Should I go Reply with quote

I'm seriously thinking about putting in my month's notice and finding a new job so I'd like some honest opinions. I have several leads on public schools in Suwon and Gyeongi-do that are looking for Native teachers and have been told that it wouldn't be a problem now that I have experience in the system and have two very good public school letters of reference
So here's my situation:

My Public School job is subcontracted through a Hagwon

--I teach 20 hours a week at a great public elementary school. The staff and kids are awesome and I have the best co-teacher. The principal says I remind him of his son and treats me as such and my co-teacher says "I'm the best English partner" and took me out for dinner with her family after our government inspection.
My co-teacher and I have become good friends and she tutors me in Korean during our breaks. My co-teacher also thinks the "hagwon is bad" for me and has been searching for better jobs on my behalf.
-
-My director has me teaching 2 classes, 3 times a week at another public school that is way out of the way for me in Suwon's neighbouring city Yongin.

-I was told that this class would end at the end of December and then I wouldn't have to do anymore of these type of classes. However, a Korean co-teacher at this Public School told me that they are running the same program in the next school semester and that my director told them that I be the teacher...lied to.

--My director has me teaching a "special class" at a third public school once a week every Thursday for 80 minutes. It's a multiple level class with multiple age groups comprised of students who have lived overseas. Levels range from beginners learning phonics to Fluent.

-I also teach two hours a week at his hagwon

-I get paid 1.9 million/per month and currently receive 3 hours of overtime at 18,000.

-I currently do, on average, 2-3 hours of prep work every night.

-I wake up every morning at 6:30 and commute by bus for 1 hour on Tuesday and Thursday and 1 1/2 hour on Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

-I have not had medical insurance since I've been here. I've brought the issue up several times and was told I would get it...still don't have it. Also don't have the pension even though I've asked about it. Brought it up again tonight and was told that I would have medical insurance and and pension "sooner or later."

-I'm taxed at a rate of 5% but EFL-law says my tax rate should be 3.3%

-I enjoy teaching and don't want to leave my public school but I'm tired, burnt out and generally unhappy with how my director has treated me.

-There's a six week Winter Camp coming up for the Public School (starts on dec.27). I've been told today that I have to have three weeks of lesson plans ready for next Wednesday. My hours at the public school are only 9:30-12:30 but I overheard the director saying something about another camp.

-I have put in extra time without pay in order to prep hagwon students for English comptetitions.

Should I stay or go?

Last edited by I_Am_Wrong on Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read beyond the first line but I'd say go. change is good. life is too short and all those other cliches etc. etc.

Last edited by Mashimaro on Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post.. certainly wasn't worth being read twice
coulter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like they're pimpin you! They're probably making a lot of money off of it too!! You're working much too hard for 1.9 million a month Exclamation
T-dot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume your contract is with your hagwon. You sure you could get a letter of release from them?

If you could get one; easy answer is LEAVE.
dutchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have special permission to teach at the other places? If not, it's illegal.
I_Am_Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I would just have to give 4 weeks notice but I'm pretty sure they'll do as much as they possibly can to not give me a letter of release if I decide to go that route. If they won't then I guess I'll go to the labour board and site the fact that my contract has been broken on numerous occasions.

--as far as the teaching at other places legal question. That's been brought up numerous times and it's legal if it's cleared with immigration. I've been told that it has all been cleared by immigration and I did meet the head school inspector of Gyeonggi Province so I figure at least that is legit.
harixseldon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, don't ask me to put my money where my mouth is buuuut....

I would work longer hours and put up with all the bullshit you're putting up with in order to work with good kids in a very positive enviroment (which I got from your post).

I'm just a newbie here in Korea but the one thing that bothers me the most is working with kids that misbehave and just don't seem to care about learning English (even though my enviroment and Boss/co-worker situation is excelent).

If you think you can find as good an enviroment, then leave. That's my advice.
I_Am_Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's honestly the toughest part of this decision. I do get to deal with great kids in a good environment but I have to weigh that against other things. I've already had some people call me in regards to other public schools and they basically say I'm getting screwed....so right now I don't really know.....
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are great kids in great environments in other schools. If you really like the school that much, why don't you try to strike a deal to work directly with them, instead of being pimped out by your hakwon?
d503

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry as much as it might suck to leave a great work environment, the fact that you are not getting your pension paid or health insurance are big red flags to me. I realize that this is the Hagwons fault, but it can mean big trouble for you. Accidents happen and without health insurance than can be hard to cover (especially on 1.9 mill a month). My brother one day knocked a bees nest open (they had built it across a seldom used door) the result was an attack by a swarm of bees and a trip to the hospital after a neighbor found him--he was uninsured and it cost him a couple thousand dollars for an ambulance ride, ER visit, and some benydryl(sp?). So get out I say, you are here, you can interview in person and maybe get a feel for the environment of the new place. Good luck with whatever you decide though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dutchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_Am_Wrong wrote:

--as far as the teaching at other places legal question. That's been brought up numerous times and it's legal if it's cleared with immigration. I've been told that it has all been cleared by immigration and I did meet the head school inspector of Gyeonggi Province so I figure at least that is legit.

I'm not 100% sure but I'm almost positive that if immigration approves they will write the name of the place and the duration of time approved on the back of your alien registration card.
I_Am_Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchman wrote:
I_Am_Wrong wrote:

I'm not 100% sure but I'm almost positive that if immigration approves they will write the name of the place and the duration of time approved on the back of your alien registration card.

hmm...can anyone verify this? If so, how can I find out from immigration if my schools are legit without getting myself into heaps of trouble if they aren't?
I_Am_Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about it with my co-teacher today and she informed me that at the public school I get paid 3 million per month by the parents!!! She couldn't believe that my salary was only 1.9 and said that the director told the school that I wasn't making lots of extra money at the other schools..hahaha.

edit: I'm thinking about looking into whether or not I can work directly for the school and pay my own rent (I have the key money saved up).
trevorcollins

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_Am_Wrong wrote:
dutchman wrote:
I_Am_Wrong wrote:

hmm...can anyone verify this? If so, how can I find out from immigration if my schools are legit without getting myself into heaps of trouble if they aren't?

You should have an additional stamp in your passport.
Permission for Alteration or Addition of Employment Place
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: