Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to leave....help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Want to leave....help! Reply with quote

Due to personal reasons back home I need to break the contract that I have. I have been very open w/the school about the situation and had said (just verbally) I would stay until a replacement was found. About 4 wks have passed and still no replacement. The situation back home has gotten worse and I really, really need to leave. I told them that I basically need to leave this weekend ---- I don't care about the money (3 wks worth)and what not. Essentially I have given them a months notice --- we have been looking for a replacement for a month. After telling them that I need to leave this weekend they told me taht they would call immigration and that I wouldn't be able to leave the country. Is this true? I have no desire to come back so I don't care if I am blacklisted and can't get back in. I am just wondering if they really can prevent me from leaving the country. Please someone reply ASAP.
Hotuk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After telling them that I need to leave this weekend they told me taht they would call immigration and that I wouldn't be able to leave the country. Is this true?

No, it's not true. Immigration is in the business of booting foreigners out, not keeping them in.

The only issue is the moral one about breaking commitments. But that's not the question you asked. Go, and don't worry.
jajdude

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that dude is correct. Go go go if you have to. This isn't a country in which you will be held, tried, or hanged. if you got to go then go!!!!
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people who have just up and gone so many times...

I do not think it is a problem (ethically to some, perhaps).

My guess is that your school will hurt a bit, but take it's licks and keep on ticking.

Good luck.
Harvard Material

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Leaving... Reply with quote

The hakwon has had 4 weeks to find a replacement and hasn't yet? Guess why!
Further more, there are conditions in all contracts with ESL teachers that include acceptable reasons to nul and void a contract at any point. What you are doing, and about to do, is perfectly acceptable.
You offered fair warning, and you receive a threat? What school is this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: