Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12 Years Already? Karla Homolka out of jail in July 2005
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone thinks that Homolka will be stupid enough to rape, torture, and kill children after she is freed, raise your hands.
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she's inhuman enough to do it to her own sister once, and two other defenceless human beings after that, who knows what she's capable of.

** raises hand **
Yu_Bum_suk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manner of Speaking wrote:
If she's inhuman enough to do it to her own sister once, and two other defenceless human beings after that, who knows what she's capable of.

** raises hand **

Yep. Is she out now?
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. I hope not.

Yu_Bum_suk wrote:
Both should be, or should have been, imprisoned for life under Canada's Dangerous Offender Act; that much seems quite obvious.

Absolutely. In fact, I would even go so far as to suggest that the sentencing agreement she negotiated should be overturned, either by the courts or by Parliament; consequences be damned. I also think a reasonable argument can be made for introducing a private member's bill to impose the death penalty on her and Paul Bernardo. It's pretty obvious the majority of Canad....no, ALL Canadians -- are revolted by the idea of these people being in our society. Or even having the hope or possibility of rejoining our society someday.

Although I'm against capital punishment generally, I believe there are occasions in history when the crime is so heinous, there are times that an exception should be made to the general principle of prohibiting capital punishment. Especially for the crime of genocide. There would have been a lot less misery in history if the Pinochets, the Duvaliers, and the Kissingers of this world paid the ultimate punishment for their crimes.
The Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by The Cube on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
canadian_in_korea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last I heard is this....she HAS to leave the prison by the end of the day monday. Her lawyers are goign to court monday morning to try to prevent reporters from giving the public info on her whereabouts after she is released. She has already had a judge tell her that she will have to face the canadian public eventually. Hopefully they won't find a wingding judge that will grant her request. Apparently the Montreal police have also said they won't do anything special to protect her because once she is released she is a regular citizen, with no special rights. It is unfortunate that they made the deal that they did.....but I hope they don't do anything to make her life easy, she also is trying to not have any restrictions..(they don't want her to have any contact with convicts or children). I dare say that should she be stupid enough to try something she might be in for a shock.
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cube wrote:
Manner of Speaking wrote:
Not sure. I hope not.

Yu_Bum_suk wrote:
Both should be, or should have been, imprisoned for life under Canada's Dangerous Offender Act; that much seems quite obvious.

Absolutely. In fact, I would even go so far as to suggest that the sentencing agreement she negotiated should be overturned, either by the courts or by Parliament .

I disagree. If this deal gets overturned, then it will ruin the crown's credibility to make deals in the future. No one will want to turn others in. This is much like the US policy of making good on reward offers. If they make even a single exception, no one will believe them.

I certainly see your point, but (IMHO), if "deals with the devil" like these take place, I wonder if the crown's ability to plea-bargain should be so sacrosanct in the first place. In addition, I'm somewhat familiar personally with the process of trying to get a private member's bill passed; it's such a difficult process that it is likely to be a rare case. I'm suggesting that this particular sentencing agreement could/should be overturned by Parliament, not suggesting that Parliament should give itself blanket power to overturn sentencing agreements generally.

There is another thing I wonder about, and perhaps someone more versed in law may know this better: exactly what legal power/basis do prosecutors have to enter into sentencing agreements in the first place? As far as I know (from watching Law and Order Laughing), plea bargains are contractual agreements between a District Attorney's office and an offender. Are they valid only as long as nobody from the general public challenges the agreement in court?
Wrench

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bad Canada doesn't have the death penalty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: