Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Teachers Observing Classes....RUDELY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HamuHamu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: New Teachers Observing Classes....RUDELY Reply with quote

So the other day the 2 new guys showed up at our school, and of course, were sent to various classes to observe lessons. Yes, I know this is boring, having done it myself.

BUT anytime I have had to observe other classes, I have sat quietly off to the side and KEPT MY MOUTH SHUT. If the teacher involves me, I participate in the way I have been included. If I have questions, I either wait until the end of the lesson, or at an appropriate time during the class (the teacher has given the students time to work quietly and come to talk to me, or whatever).

Anyway, these two IDIOTS who came into my class the other day, sat down, and as soon as I said hello to my students, before I even had a chance to say "These teachers here are new at the school, say hello..." ETC, they started talking to each other LOUDLY. Now, I'm not in a large classroom, and they were sitting RIGHT THERE behind the students, and just started yapping to each other. ("So..how was your flight...ohya....I know, my meal sucked too!" "What about the apartment, is yours as much of a dump as mine?" "I wonder what the vacation schedule at Lunar New Year is like at this place?" and on and on). Regular talking voices, no attempt to be quiet.

I didn't say anything, (I honestly didn't know what to say...I was mostly just shocked, and didn't know how to handle it politely....I figured if I opened my mouth, something rude was bound to escape) -- but a few dirty looks were fired at them by me when (A) one of them LAUGHED out loud at a student who made a wrong answer in class, and (B) in a second observation lesson, he leaned over and gave a student the answer to a test question. Fortunately, he also had the decency to get up 10 minutes before class ended and make a bit of a scene by leaving, telling the students and I that as much as the material was fascinating, he felt his time would be spent in a more productive way.

What is with these people? Have you ever experienced this, or is it just my luck that the two rudest, most disrespectful loser teachers are now working at my school?
Daechidong Waygookin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them to shut the beep up or get out.

And remember, give the the wrong advice on pupose. Mess with their lives in Korea. Tell them stuff that is guaranteed to get their lights punched out heheheh.
manlyboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compartmentalize. People who would act like that obviously don't get that some people actually like to take their craft seriously. They probably wouldn't even understand why you got angry with them in the first place. All hagwons have got people like those two guys. Doesn't mean they're necessarily bad people. In fact, I find those types more interesting to hang out and have beers with than your serious types who want to talk about work all the time. And remember that their shortcomings as teachers will make you feel a lot better about yourself! Wink
Yu_Bum_suk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were they Westerners or Koreans? If they were Westerners I'd just let someone else teach them life skills the hard way and avoid making friends.
chronicpride

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manlyboy wrote:
Compartmentalize. People who would act like that obviously don't get that some people actually like to take their craft seriously. They probably wouldn't even understand why you got angry with them in the first place. All hagwons have got people like those two guys. Doesn't mean they're necessarily bad people. In fact, I find those types more interesting to hang out and have beers with than your serious types who want to talk about work all the time. And remember that their shortcomings as teachers will make you feel a lot better about yourself! Wink

I was about as laidback as it gets, when I taught in hagwons, but anyone who laughs at a kid when they make a mistake in class, is not worth a mug of piss in any bar, IMO.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple. Like many (most?) people working in English classes in Korea, they're not teachers. When schools don't hire professionals (however you care to define that word), we can't be too surprised when those who do get hired act unprofessionally, as those guys did in your class.

They're in Korea for the one-year "see the world" lark. This isn't news.

Last edited by The Lemon on Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you that much of a wet noodle? Is it so hard to say "Guys, shhh." If they talk again, say "guys, get out of my class." If they refuse to move, find your director.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: not to slag you, but I agree. Why didn't you tell them to shut their bloody yap...I'm all for making the new guy feel welcome but this sounds like it went on for more than one class.

mindmetoo wrote:
Are you that much of a wet noodle? Is it so hard to say "Guys, shhh." If they talk again, say "guys, get out of my class." If they refuse to move, find your director.
mithridates

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somebody were to laugh in class and I were feeling testy I might do something like this:

The council members _____ their authority to go to war in spite of opposition from the peace-loving population.

A)Arrogated
B)Abrogated

Ask the new teacher which one is right, and to make a new sentence of his own with the correct answer. If he doesn't know the answer I would explain that that's likely what the student felt like when he didn't know...

Or maybe a French question for a Canadian. Depends on the teacher. That's usually more effective than just scolding them. However, if I didn't feel confrontational or was a bit tired I would just tell them to be quiet.
manlyboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chronicpride wrote:
manlyboy wrote:

I was about as laidback as it gets, when I taught in hagwons, but anyone who laughs at a kid when they make a mistake in class, is not worth a mug of piss in any bar, IMO.

Yeah, but I like people.
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One new guy I had observing slept soundly throughout. (No, he hadnt just flown in, & honestly my classes arent that boring!) Should I have woken him? It was some months before he had a clue how to run his own classes.
eamo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One guy yawned and looked out the window a lot while observing me. He had a BA. Education from New Zealand and thought he had nothing to learn about teaching.

2 weeks later he's in big trouble for tipping an 11-year old boy upside-down and sticking his head in the trash can.
phaedrus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manlyboy wrote:
And remember that their shortcomings as teachers will make you feel a lot better about yourself! Wink

Yeah, judging by their attitude these guys are going to make you look like super teacher.
chronicpride

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manlyboy wrote:
chronicpride wrote:
manlyboy wrote:

Yeah, but I like people.

Granted. I guess I just have limits with who I'm willing to embrace a friendship in, whose behavior I despise. People who laugh at kids who are trying to learn. People who beat their wives and children. Or people who cheat and stab friends in the back. Etc, etc. I s'pose I'm just picky like that.
manlyboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chronicpride wrote:
Granted. I guess I just have limits with who I'm willing to embrace a friendship in, whose behavior I despise. People who laugh at kids who are trying to learn. People who beat their wives and children. Or people who cheat and stab friends in the back. Etc, etc. I s'pose I'm just picky like that.

Confucius say, don't chop down apple tree just because you find a few worms...... (treacherous wife-beating child haters notwithstanding).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: