Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Malaysia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fidel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Malaysia Reply with quote

Hi, I'm thinking about going to Malaysia for some warmth with my family sometime in early feb. Has anyone got any recomendations for places to go and stay, I'm looking for a family orientated resort/island, and maybe a few days in Kuala Lumpur to check out the sights if any.

Thanks.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Malaysia Reply with quote

fidel wrote:
Hi, I'm thinking about going to Malaysia for some warmth with my family sometime in early feb. Has anyone got any recomendations for places to go and stay, I'm looking for a family orientated resort/island, and maybe a few days in Kuala Lumpur to check out the sights if any.

The resort-island bid: Perhentian Islands. Two islands, both quiet. Larger one is probably the better of the two. It'll just be reopening in early February after shutting down for monsoon season in November. Look up a resort place called "Tuna Bay". Stayed there two Februarys ago, and they were just opening for the season. Very cheap off-season rates. We were there for a week and it didn't rain once. Don't be scared off by the Lonely Planet describing February as still being monsoon season.

This gallery should close the sale. It's even better than the pictures. One of the most beautiful islands in the world, and you'll practically have it to yourself.

You fly there from KL to Kota Bharu on the mainland using Air Asia. You'll pay $20 one way, thereabouts.

KL: My favourite city in Asia. Stay somewhere near Bukit Bintang. You'll pay 70RM/night for a seedy place, 110RM/night for an OK place, 140RM/night for an upscale place, and 190RM+/night for a 5-star-blow-your-mind place. They look like big numbers but in real money it's nothing.

KL has great bars, shiny malls, a beautiful park splat right in the middle of the city, a mass transit system that's the envy of the rest of SE Asia...

Highly recommend the Istana. I'm in KL often and we always stay there. Posh, great service, ideal location. You'll pay somewhere around 180~200RM/night. For the same price as one of the slimier yeogwans in Chongno you'll be in five-star comfort.
The Chewbacca Defense

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

You should check out Langkawi Island. Best vacation I've ever had!!! I am planning on going again soon.
fidel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhentian Island looks excellent, and as you said the pictures closed the deal for me. Can't wait to get there and get away from this bitter winter.
No L

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, go to Langkawi. It's wonderful! I spent 5 days in KL last Jan and then flew to Langkawi (via discount airline Air Asia). I stayed at the Aseania Resort. It's got a great pool and is 200 metres from the beach. Lots of restaurants and shops in the area, but not too busy. Opportunities to go snorkling or diving.
trevorcollins

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No L wrote:
I agree, go to Langkawi. It's wonderful! I spent 5 days in KL last Jan and then flew to Langkawi (via discount airline Air Asia). I stayed at the Aseania Resort. It's got a great pool and is 200 metres from the beach. Lots of restaurants and shops in the area, but not too busy. Opportunities to go snorkling or diving.

How did it hold up to that tsunami....? I know Penang got hit fairly badly.
Probably not significant actual damage, but it's very possible reefs etc are messed up.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevorcollins wrote:
How did it hold up to that tsunami....? I know Penang got hit fairly badly.
Probably not significant actual damage, but it's very possible reefs etc are messed up.

I work with a guy who was on Langkawi - actually, to be more precise, out on a boat from Langkawi to the mainland - when the waves hit. Out in the deeper water they didn't even notice the waves pass by, but when they reached the shore five minutes after the event they were met by scenes of chaos. People screaming, running every which way.

Malaysia lost several people on that shore, but it was spared the worst because northern Sumatra sheltered it like a giant breakwater.
everydavid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about going to Malaysia in March. I will be going to see the Grand Prix, but I have about 5 days to tour the island afterwards. I don't really like travelling alone, but I wouldn't be the first in the world to do it.

I will seriously consider going to the posted in the gallery, thank u the lemon.
Draven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I took The Lemon up on his recommendation and visited Tuna Bay at the beginning of February. The advice was typical of the advice given by The Lemon: excellent. I thought I'd post a few pics to sway anyone who may be thinking about going.

And the gratuitous sunset shot Smile

Last edited by Draven on Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome photos, though it really is difficult to take a poor photo of that place.

Damn. At this moment I've got Air Asia open in another window, making our June vacation plans now that the March holiday's all finished up. I'd love to make a return trip to the Perhentians - and your photos are rekindling that - but I don't think we can swing any more than a KL shopping trip this time.

Speaking of Air Asia, did you do the cheapie flight to Kota Bharu?
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures & link above show an uncanny resemblance to Yelapa Mexico (reached by boat from Puerto Vallarta) where I took great pleasure spending winter break a couple years ago.

I've entertained the notion of a Malaysian getaway too. Naive question: being Muslim & all, how are Malaysian resorts for enjoying chilled beers etc?
Draven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
Awesome photos, though it really is difficult to take a poor photo of that place.

Damn. At this moment I've got Air Asia open in another window, making our June vacation plans now that the March holiday's all finished up. I'd love to make a return trip to the Perhentians - and your photos are rekindling that - but I don't think we can swing any more than a KL shopping trip this time.

Speaking of Air Asia, did you do the cheapie flight to Kota Bharu?

Thanks for the compliments about the photos, I'll pass them on to my wife as she was the Official Vacation PhotographerTM.

Yes, we took that Air Asia flight, and while cheap, it was probably the least enjoyable 55 minutes (each way) of our vacation. I appreciate their cheapness and all, but there's something to be said for assigned seating. It seems the Air Asia staff hasn't really figured out a way to get people on their planes without enraging a fair number of their passengers.

Anyways, it certainly would seem a shame to get all the way to KL and not be able to make the jaunt to the Perhentian Islands. I'm just saying... Smile
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've entertained the notion of a Malaysian getaway too. Naive question: being Muslim & all, how are Malaysian resorts for enjoying chilled beers etc?

The Perhentians are in an interesting situation. They're a part of Malaysia's most conservative (read: fundamentalist) state, and are officially "dry". But not only can you buy it on the mainland and bring it with you, beer can also be purchased at the restaurants on the islands - for a price.

Elsewhere in Malaysia, buying beer is no problem in stores or restaurants (so long as you're not Muslim yourself- that's illegal). Prices are slightly higher than Thailand, though not as high as Korea.

However, the duty-free island of Labuan, off the coast of Sabah, features some of the cheapest beer around: 25 cents US for a can of Manila-brewed "Asia Beer".

Draven wrote:
It seems the Air Asia staff hasn't really figured out a way to get people on their planes without enraging a fair number of their passengers.

Effective solution: bring an infant. Don't have one? Steal one. You get priority boarding. It's amusing to watch the hyperpushy Singapore/Malaysian Chinese all pretending to be "with" the family with small children so they can get on the plane before everyone else. They then jettison the newfound "family" once past the gate.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Lemon, the husband is definitely sold on the Perhentian Islands after I showed him those photos... any recommendations on a hotel? We're thinking of getting there sometime between July & Oct... We literally freaked at the price of flights from KL on air asia... to the Perhentians and other places... 9.99ringitts??? Do we have to flap our arms madly or what??? Very Happy
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterbaby wrote:
OK Lemon, the husband is definitely sold on the Perhentian Islands after I showed him those photos... any recommendations on a hotel? We're thinking of getting there sometime between July & Oct... We literally freaked at the price of flights from KL on air asia... to the Perhentians and other places... 9.99ringitts??? Do we have to flap our arms madly or what??? Very Happy

Well, for RM9.99 the 737 doesn't actually take off. It just drives down the highway like a bus. Corners are tricky but the passing is impressive.

You're saying "between July & Oct" - October's a bit too late, as it shuts down around then for monsoon season, opening back up in February. July-September is high season, and I've heard it's tricky to just show up and get a room. Also, you can only get the supercheap Air Asia tickets if you book well in advance - like, now. Try to nail down specific dates and make the flight and room reservations. Even if you end up not using the flights you book, oh well.. it's only $5, right?

If you can, try to get a place at Tuna Bay Resort, where Draven stayed this year, and I stayed two years ago. For a secluded tropical island with electricity for only part of the day, Tuna Bay's posh. Nice people running it too.

So, when are you guys coming to visit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: