Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Malaysia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Draven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally on the Tuna Bay bandwagon. I can't say enough about that resort without getting gushy; everything was just excellent.

Here's a link to make it easier for you:
Tuna Bay
coolsage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it certainly looks scenic , but the prevailing Muslim ethic that condones public whipping for those unfortunates who overstay their visas is a turnoff for me. I suppose that wouldn't apply to most of the readers of this forum.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolsage wrote:
Yes, it certainly looks scenic , but the prevailing Muslim ethic that condones public whipping for those unfortunates who overstay their visas is a turnoff for me. I suppose that wouldn't apply to most of the readers of this forum.

So don't overstay. You'll get somewhere between one month, three months, and six months from the Malaysians depending on your nationality, and if you get close to the time, it's a lot easier to renew it (take a $10 taxi an hour north to the Thai border) than it is if you're in Korea and need to fly to Osaka.

Really, your contact with hyper-conservative Muslims is minimal once you've left Kota Bharu on the mainland, and even there it's more interesting than threatening (my opinion). I was no more uncomfortable walking around in Kota Bharu than walking around Kwangju.

Once on the large island (as opposed to the smaller one), there are few in any Muslims. From what I could tell, most of the workers and managers on the large island are Malaysian Chinese.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolsage wrote:

what the hell are you talking about?

and lemon, i really doubt muslims having a problem getting alcohol in KL, penang, etc. How would they enforce that kind of rule?

Anyway, malaysia is definitly worth visiting. LP made Langkawi to sound like a tourist trap, but I didn't think it was bad at all.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:

and lemon, i really doubt muslims having a problem getting alcohol in KL, penang, etc. How would they enforce that kind of rule?

You're absolutely correct that Muslims have no practical problem getting alcohol in Malaysia. This doesn't make it legal though. Signs up at alcohol sections of every supermarket warn Muslims of prosecution. And the "religious affairs department" actively enforces this rule, with the cooperation of the civilian police.

There's a lot of controversy in Malaysia lately about that department. They recently raided some popular nightclubs in KL, separated Muslims from non-Muslims present, and reportedly humilated the Muslims by arresting them for sitting too closely to a member of the opposite sex (a crime known as "khalwat" in Malay), or for consuming alcohol. They also photographed the females that were in their view wearing revealing clothes. Many women complained of harrassing and abusive treatment from the male officials.

Many in Malaysia - particularly among the Chinese and expat communities - are openly criticizing the department for trying to turn Malaysia into Taliban-run Afghanistan, as part of an overall trend in southeast Asia (particularly in Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei ) towards increasing Islamic fundamentalism.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

learn something new every day. that's interesting. Rather depressing to be frank. At least some muslims are involved in trying to get rid of that kind of thing (at least that's what I gathered from your link).

There is no way Malaysia or Indonesia would turn into fundamentalist states though. As you mentioned, there is the chinese factor (as well as indian to a lesser extent) in Malaysia. The islam that has developed in their cultures is also a hell of a lot different than what you'd find in the Arab world. While yes, the arab version has made in-roads, it has a LONG way to go. I also think that the Bali blast and other terrorist acts in Indonesia hurt their cause. The recent elections in both Malaysia and Indonesia would indicate as much.

Not to digress from OP or anything..
keithinkorea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malaysia is a great place. There are some religious nuts about but they are not a proble, generally.

On my visit to Malaysia a few years ago I was fascinated by the how open the muslims were there. Very friendly and nice generally and even if they didn't drink. I hung out with quite a few who would spend time with you and have interesting conversations in bars even though they 'couldn't' drink.

The Perhentian Islands are the most awsomely beautiful place I've ever been, you can buy beer there though it is expensive. It's well worth bringing a few bottles of whiskey or vodka from the mainland.

I stayed on Perhentian Kecil aka the small island and had a wonderful time. Not just the blue green beautiful sea, not just the amazing sunsets, not just the amazing food, the fruit bats, the monitor lizards but the whole atmosphere. It is without doubt the most beautiful place I've ever visited.

Not been to Langawi but I plan to soon. It looks like a really nice place.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
So, when are you guys coming to visit?

OK, thanks guys, I'll look into Tuna Bay - I'd seen it already on the Internet - there were quite a few so didn't know which one to go for.

I'm waiting about another month to find out if funding for another project comes through and if it does, July will be busy as all hell and no time for a trip away... I'll be wrapping up a 5 month gig at the end of June so I thought a tropical break from wintery Melbourne would be a nice reward Very Happy

We've been talking for ages about coming back to Korea for a visit at Chuseok, and so we're looking at flights to Seoul via KL. From KL we can go almost anywhere if we flap those arms hard enough. So there you go, most likely September we'll be there... that's not too late? You mentioned October as the start of monsoon season... ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: