Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacation- Fukuoka, Shanghai or Vladivostok?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Vacation- Fukuoka, Shanghai or Vladivostok? Reply with quote

I'm torn between Fukuoka, Shanghai or Vladivostok for a 10 night sleazefest of booze, birds and easy living. The price of the flight is a bit more expensive to Russia but surely the living costs are lower there than Shanghai or Fukuoka?? I also have to do my E-2 visa run while I'm there and I know this is alot easier in Fukuoka. What can I do.....

Has anyone been to Vladivostok? Can you tell me if there is alot of fun things and good bars, nightclubs, etc??

Does Fukuoka have an easily accessible sleazy side? You know where you can get a special soapy bath and how much??

Right now I'm probably going to choose Shanghai but I'm not sure.

advice,

BB
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fukuoka will definitely be your most expensive destination, and Vladivostok will be your most dangerous, especially considering your purpose of sojourn. I remember the time I spent in Russia -- always looking over my back.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been extremely interested in both Vladivostok and Fukuoka. But I don't gather either one is for cheap girls and lots of drinking (or at least cheap drinking).

Shanghai is pretty cool.. I have been there.. but I wouldn't exactly equate it with cheap drinking and lots of women either. But it is a pretty cool city.

Honestly though, all 3 would be great and interesting destinations. From what I know, 10 days is too much for Fukuoka. Much too expensive for 10 days. Vladivostok or Shanghai could be cool for 10 days though.. but hmm..

Well, if I had 10 days.. I'd say Thailand or Philippines.. you can travel around more.. and everything is much much much cheaper on every level than the 3 above cities you've mentioned.

Keep us informed.. all seem interesting to me however.
ratslash

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vladivostok is meant to be a shit hole. the town is run by the russian mafia. real dodgy place.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 days in Shanghai? Ermmmmmm...............I was there for 3 and ready to go. But then, I'm no Shanghai buff.
ratslash

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing with shanghai and fukuoka is that, ok, ten days may be a bit long to spend in either of these cities, but both these cities give you the opportunity to get out of the city and go exploring. vladivostok is the last place god would piss on is the earth was on fire by all accounts, plus, if you get bored in this 'city', where are you going to go out of the city coz there is jackshit in that neck of the woods.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree.. 10 days.. Japan is MUCH TOO EXPENSIVE. 10 days partying and drinking would be like 2 months worth here in Korea of doing the same thing.

Vladivostok would be perhaps similar to Korea prices.. BUT.. difficult to say how much fun it would be.. I'm curious to know though.

Shanghai is cool.. like zyzyfer, I was there 3-4 days as well.. and ready to go.. not because I didn't like it.. but because it was a little bit more expensive than anywhere in China and definetely moreso than Southeast Asia.. there is some stuff near Shanghai though from a tourist point of view..
just because

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
would agree.. 10 days.. Japan is MUCH TOO EXPENSIVE. 10 days partying and drinking would be like 2 months worth here in Korea of doing the same thing.

I don't know why everyone thinks it is so expensive to drink in Japan. i actually think it is cheaper than here(if you don't count soju and dong-dong-ju).
A lot of bars in Japan(and Fukuoka) do 3 hours of drinking whatever suits your fancy for about 20 to 30 000 won. It makes for some good nights. Fukuoka has a good bar called the happy cock that does this.
Also, just down the road in Kumamoto there is a kick ass little bar owned by an Australian where there are meat pies, XXXX and VB which is all you can drink all you can for 3 hours for 20 000 won(2000 yen). Unfortunantly the two imported Aussie beers were not included due to the import price. It was fantastic.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because wrote:
Fukuoka has a good bar called the happy *beep* that does this.

How is the happy cock? I heard some wild stories about that place. i recall once i read that they had some night where everyone and anyone who showed up in their underwear (and their underwear only) was able to drink free for the night? Does that sound like it could be true?
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because wrote:
I don't know why everyone thinks it is so expensive to drink in Japan. i actually think it is cheaper than here(if you don't count soju and dong-dong-ju).

It's not just the drinking, it's everything. He's going to be there for ten days. Accomodation, food, etc.; all of that adds up in Japan really fast. Plus he wants some "soapy bubble baths." Never done that, but I'm sure in Japan he'd have to pay through the nose for it.
just because

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How is the happy *beep*? I heard some wild stories about that place. i recall once i read that they had some night where everyone and anyone who showed up in their underwear (and their underwear only) was able to drink free for the night? Does that sound like it could be true?

It sounds like the happy cock to me. i've been to Fukuoka 4 times and it is a great party place in a fantstic district in the middle of Fukuoka. A good place to crash is near the train station where there are a lot of similar business hotels, about 60 000 won a night. Not that cheap but if you find a Japanese chica(which is probable), just crash at her house.
Seriously if you can't pick up in Japan you are pretty hopeless are frigging ugly(now off topic)

Quote:
It's not just the drinking, it's everything. He's going to be there for ten days. Accomodation, food, etc.; all of that adds up in Japan really fast.

The only thing i find to be a lot more expensive than here is transportation. That is a big additional expense. Food is pretty comparible(Lawson and Seven Eleven are not much more expensive). I think if you eat sushi(oh I love Japanese sushi) and McDonalds breakfasts(they have that there too) then you'll be Ok.
Also, CDs. i love J-pop, blows crappy K-pop away but the CD prices, like 33 000 won for a CD. I've bought a few. For all of you who know Hamasaki Ayumi and Globe you know J-Pop is so much better than here. The reason i love bugs is now I don't have to buy Cds. WOO HOO!!!!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit! Now I'm very interested in Fukuoka again!!!

I had it down to Spain and Saigon Vietnam and ruled out Fukuoka/Osaka.. but now.. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
just because

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger, have you ever been to Fukuoka??? man its just across the water. i would suggest it for a blast, not to live there but for a whirl. Also, I would take Fukuoka over Osaka. Osaka is bigger but not quite as hip as Fukuoka. This city is fairly compact but has some great bars and kick-ass shopping(I'm not a girl, but even a man likes good shopping).
..and here I thought you were the traveling man. Smile. I've been to many countries and cities in the world and Fukuoka would be in my top 5.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because wrote:
Tiger, have you ever been to Fukuoka??? man its just across the water. i would suggest it for a blast, not to live there but for a whirl. Also, I would take Fukuoka over Osaka. Osaka is bigger but not quite as hip as Fukuoka. This city is fairly compact but has some great bars and kick-ass shopping(I'm not a girl, but even a man likes good shopping).
..and here I thought you were the traveling man. Smile. I've been to many countries and cities in the world and Fukuoka would be in my top 5.

Yes, thats why I'm so interested in Fukuoka. Everyone loves it.

I've been to Japan four times.

1) Shimonoseki and Hiroshima. 4-day weekend. Kind of cool but not mind blowing. I did prefer it to Busan where I lived at the time.

2) Tokyo. 4-days. Stayed at a Japanese friend's house I met while traveling. Stayed on the outskirts. Once again, it was okay and different but not that great. Of course I had little money and stayed at the outskirts and didn't really hit the city at night unfortunately.

3) Osaka & Kyoto. 4-days. Once again okay, but after that trip (I spent most of it in Kyoto), I couldn't wait to get back to Seoul!

4) Osaka. 1-day visa run. Quite liked it a lot that time. Don't know why, but that 4th trip got me and became much more interested for whatever reason.

Now at this stage, I'm kind of in a limbo where I'm interested in either teaching Osaka.. or trying Kobe or Fukuoka, both of which I heard are great. I wrote it off as undesireable for me particularly after trip #2 and #3... but trip #4 got me for some reason.

Sometime before this contract is up.. I'll check out Fukuoka in particular.. as its really got to me this contract in particular with everything but all good things heard about it.
just because

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd skip Kobe. It is nothing special. Compare it to a Gwangju or Incheon(attached to a bigger city-well nearly). Definantly to work in japan pick Kyoto. Its a gorgeous city and really near Osaka and near the ancient capital Nara. If i moved to japan I would go here. A lot of the city is world heritage(think Gyeongju but not completely screwed up) and that is it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: