Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian Visa Questions - 6 months after dropping hagwon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrroboto

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Canadian Visa Questions - 6 months after dropping hagwon? Reply with quote

Hi.
I've been at my hagwon for just over six months.
Today, I'm giving the 45 day notice as stipulate in the contract.
From what I've read here, I'll basically have to surrender my ARC card, and go to Japan within 15 days to switch my visa?

Does anyone have some experience with this?

I've got a good buildup of cash to sit on, so I'm happy to avoid hagwon life for a while and just be a regular tourist.. I know that straight from Canada you can get six months on your tourist visa, but what is the case if you switch off from your E-2 visa at Osaka?

Robber Orin
Harvard Material

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Visa... Reply with quote

You are a Canadian citizen? You are allowed 6 months here on a tourist visa, regardless where you departed from. Hand in your a.c. card on the way out, and get the tourist visa stamped in your passport by Immigration when you return to Seoul at Incheon. Piece of cake...
mrroboto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I've given my notice to quit and I'll be out of contract in about 40 days. When I leave, all I have to worry about is handing in my Alien Registration card at the ferry station? I'm thinking of taking the ferry to Osaka (to save some cash). I'll go to the Osaka consulate, get a tourist visa stamp, and come back to Korea with 6 months available in my passport?

Is this correct?
Harvard Material

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Visa... Reply with quote

Yes. I had my visa in order before coming to Seoul the first time. The 2nd time I had to fly to Osaka for the E-2. I have never left to get a tourist visa, but don't sweat it. You will get it in Japan, or Seoul Immigration will give it to you when you return to Incheon.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You automatically get a tourist visa when you come back.

You will also need 6 months worth of cash to sit on before you can work again.

Must have been a pretty bad work situation to want to bail. Hope it works out for you. Good Luck!
mrroboto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whiner: So in reality, I don't have to go to the consulate in Osaka? I'm thinking I should just take the roundtrip ferry to Japan from Busan because it's so much cheaper than flying. By this logic, I can do whatever I want to do in Japan and come back to Korea getting the tourist stamp on re-entry

The Hogwan has been a very bad experience... I'm torn between giving up now and just waiting until the end, but I'm almost sure the director will pull more sleazy management tricks out come september Sad

Thanks for the information guys, you've been a great help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: