Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

buying clothes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: buying clothes Reply with quote

Has anyone bought a tailored suit in Korea? How much should they cost? Where is the best place? Where is the best place for long-sleeved dress shirts? I have long arms (37") and can't get them in regular stores? Long pants for tall people? Anything other than Itaewon?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Itaewon is the best place for this, it's just a matter of finding a tailor you like. Note that many of the tailor shops are pretty much sub-contractors or 'distributors'- they have the sample cloth and styles and take the measurments but the actual tailoring/sewing gets done by the same 2 or 3 'factories' (or whatever you'd call them- sweatshops maybe?). There are a few tailors who do everything in-house; Korea Custom Tailor is an example of this. You'll get better quality, but you'll also pay more.

As for shirts, Hamilton Shirts or any other tailor will be able to handle your grotesquely long arms. Laughing Korea Custom Tailor again has more expensive prices on shirts, but they will also provide free cuff and collar replacements for the lifetime of the shirt.
Captain Obvious 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Dong Inchon station (near the end of the #1 line) there are a number of people under the shopping centre there in between a couple of the shopping tunnels on the west side that will create anything you want.

I suspect this is true of any number of shopping malls.
kimchikowboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two coats and three suits done at a place called Steve's in Itaewon. It's on the main drag, near the over-the-street "Itaewon" sign. Right next to a McDonalds. He speaks English very well and I have no complaints. I can't give you a phone number Sad cause I'm in the States now.
Be sure to get extra pants. It saves on cleaning.
Good luck,
Kimchikowboy
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with kimchicowboy, Steve's is very good.
elmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have you paid??

I'd like to hear some numbers as well.

Thx
mrroboto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Casey's Custom Tailor... Reply with quote

I paid 260 thousand for a 3 piece including one tailored dress shirt. it was purchased from a tailor called "Casey's" back behind some shops to the right of McDonald's in Itaewon. I was very happy but they mispelled my name on the breast pocket and the pants were too short. Looks like I'll pick up the modified version next week.

Very high quality, definitely wedding material. I got black pinstrips, buttonless collar, single breast, with a vest. He gives you a free tie with a suit purchase, but his selection is pure garbage..

"yes, you're right Casey, that nice Donald Duck tie would go well with my pinstripe suit".

Black shoes were 60 thousand in a shop on the opposite side of the street closer to the Dunkin Donuts. Sorry, I don't have the name. While I was there, I also grabbed 5 ties for 6 thousand each.

The best tailored shirts I bought were from Alpha Custom tailor (02 793 0164) . Fit so well, but I paid 24 thousand a shirt ( a veritable rip-off Smile)

Remember, Itaewon is the land of negotiation. I got deals on everything I bought. I'm sure you could do even better, especially if you bust out some line about him giving you (or some fictitious friend) a better offer earlier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: