Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Games that don't leave half the class in tears?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Games that don't leave half the class in tears? Reply with quote

I found quite a few game ideas on this site but it seems that my kindy class is getting emotionally scarred from losing. I do bribe them on Fridays with a reward system during the week, but even when they have "points" they still cry if they lose.

What do you recommend to keep the kiddies from crying or pounding their fists at me in rage? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I also do some individual stuff but with 12 kids in a kindy class it gets a little boring for them.

Also, does one 3 1/2 hour kindergarten class seem long? Having the same kids for that long is driving me crazy, even though for the most part they are good.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some drama type games? There is one that I have started playing with my kids - and though it has basically no relevance at all, they like it, uses up excess energy, and is a bit of a reward.

Basically all it is, is a line down the middle of the room, with kindy kids you might want more room, and one side of the line is whatever word you are dealing with, ie, hot/winter/hello/etc, and the other side of the line is the opposite, cold/summer/goodbye, etc. The kids line up on one side of the line, for example "hot", and then when you say/yell "cold" they have to jump to the other side of teh line. Start off slow, build it up, and start going really fast. Double up the calls, hot, cold, hot, cold, cold, etc. If they fall/stumble, they're out. When they get used to playing it, get the kids that are "out" to do the calling. Don't know if it would work with kindy kids, but other age groups, def.
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Flower thanks for the info, I'll try that tomorrow. I don't know how the kiddies can handle such a long class...that game definately sounds like a way to blow off steam.

Hopefully it ends with less tears.
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 1/2 hours for one class? WTF? I humbly suggest break it up into 40 or 50 minute sessions with some time in between.

CM
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three and a half hours for a single class is too long. Shocked I agree that class needs to be broken into shorter segments.

You can try 20 minutes of sharing time (talk with the students about how they are feeling/what you're going to do that day in class), 20 minutes of exercise time, 20 minutes of snack time, 30 minutes of English time, an hour of fun time (working on projects, drawing, coloring, games, practicing plays, etc), 10 minutes of clean-up time. That's ... uhm ... two hours and forty minutes. Let's see ... add 30 miuntes for reading time - that's three hours and ten minutes ... uh ... 20 minutes for a nap?

As far as losing games, I used to manipulate the games if somebody's feeling were getting hurt. Embarassed I'd also reward for things outside of games.

They need a schedule and to know what to expect. Three and a half hours of unstructured class is a big problem for kindergarten. Good luck.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got only half the class in tears, you're doing something wrong! Laughing
paulc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsyfish wrote:
Let's see ... add 30 miuntes for reading time - that's three hours and ten minutes ... uh ... 20 minutes for a nap?

ROFLMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: