Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here's a fun clause!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
babtangee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Here's a fun clause! Reply with quote

The recruiter was trying to sell me this job on the basis of it being only 100 hours a 1.9. Sounded good to me; then I got the contract and read this - arguably the best clause ever:

5. SALARY
New Employees will teach 100 hours (1 hour = 60 minutes) or 150 classes (1 class = 40minutes) per session at a salary of 1.900,000 won for each monthly teaching session of the contract period. Please note that some Employees may teach more than 100 hours per session. Payments will be made in won. This salary will be paid on the next day of the last teaching day of each monthly teaching session (one monthly teaching session = four weeks). *In addition to the aforesaid periods of classroom assignments each week, the Academic Supervisor shall have the authority to require the Employee to perform any classroom duties in excess of the above (hereinafter referred to as " Overtime "), but the Academic Supervisor is not required to have the Employee consent there to.

What hagwon owner could want more in a contract?

Anyone care to speculate how many hours to poor fool who signs this contract will actually be doing?

And do experienced teachers agree with my belief that 150 40 minute classes would be basically the same as 150 50 minute classes?
Chillin' Villain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUN!!!

Grotto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another typical I have got you here and you are mine mine mine bwahahahaaahaha hogwan owner contract.

Never sign for hours...always sign for set classes of set times.

Employee agrees to teach up to 6 forty-fifty minute classes a day. From Monday to Friday. From 2-8. Any other classes will be strictly voluntary and will be paid out in overtime at the rate of 20,000 won for each 50 minute session.

Thats how it should be done, not the crap that most hogwan owners want to shove.
babtangee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Chillin', I must agree - your Clause is much more fun! Sad

I agree with you, Grotto - and funnily enough that's the ways Koreans seem to see it (1 teaching hour = 1 lesson). But I tell you what, the contracts that pay you per class rather than per teaching hour are very few and very far between... people have to stop accepting this deceptive crap so that we don't all have to put up with it.

Another fun thing about this particular hagwon: the recruiter said the director wasn't happy about my having a Korean wife; wanted my assurance that she wasn't going to interfere with my teaching duties - i.e. doesn't want my wife reporting them to amnesty international when I come home malnourish and whip scarred. Fun, fun in Ansan!
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babtangee wrote:
Another fun thing about this particular hagwon: the recruiter said the director wasn't happy about my having a Korean wife; wanted my assurance that she wasn't going to interfere with my teaching duties

So.... you're going to divorce her to get the job, right? Laughing

I wonder sometimes, just when will the average hogwon director stop mistaking his asshole for a hat?
Zenpickle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During this year's job hunt, I was very aware of how class hours were calculated, considering that my current hagwon was one of the crooked ones that said 1 class=2/3 teaching hour and loved to exploit the "extra duties" clause. The first month I was there, they had us all come in on a day off to scrub the school down. I was a newbie, so I didn't raise much of a stink about it at the time.

But I am pleased to say that out of the four contracts I considered this year, every single one of them had 1 class=1 class hour. They do exist.
eamo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be too enthralled about a 100 hour contract.

All four contracts I've signed were for 120 hours but I think the most I ever actually worked in any session (excluding January and August) was around 95-103 hours.

Maybe I've been lucky but it's rare one actually works more than 5 hours teaching per day.

6 classes of 40min is only 4 hours. I always seem to have 6, 7, or occasionally 8 classes per day.

A 100 hour contract can work well if you intend to take all the overtime going.
DirtySanchez

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a funny clause in my last contract regarding sick days. It went something like this:

Employee may take a maximum of 5 sick days. No additional sick days may be taken, except for emergency situations such as the death of a family member or of self.
PolyChronic Time Girl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtySanchez wrote:
I had a funny clause in my last contract regarding sick days. It went something like this:

Employee may take a maximum of 5 sick days. No additional sick days may be taken, except for emergency situations such as the death of a family member or of self.

Ha! That's hilarious...but they are probably serious...they would STILL expect you to come to work at their crappy hagwon after death. My friend once told me how sick she got and she was in the hospital bed with IV and her hagwon boss (Wonderland...go figure) came and demanded her to come to work the next day. Talk about heartless Evil or Very Mad
This same friend also just received another contract with a funny clause and I read it. It says that if the school finds out that you are gay/lesbian or have any suspicions...it is grounds for immediate termination since it "endangers" the students lives.
babtangee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PolyChronic Time Girl wrote:
DirtySanchez wrote:

Ha! That's hilarious...but they are probably serious...they would STILL expect you to come to work at their crappy hagwon after death. My friend once told me how sick she got and she was in the hospital bed with IV and her hagwon boss (Wonderland...go figure) came and demanded her to come to work the next day. Talk about heartless Evil or Very Mad
This same friend also just received another contract with a funny clause and I read it. It says that if the school finds out that you are gay/lesbian or have any suspicions...it is grounds for immediate termination since it "endangers" the students lives.

Makes sense: what self-respecting hagwon boss wouldn't consider a gay teacher in the classroom more threatening to the students' wellbeing than a dead one Exclamation
jajdude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 minutes is long enough for kids.

Ever try to convince one that 5 minutes is not a long time?
babtangee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jajdude wrote:
40 minutes is long enough for kids.

Ever try to convince one that 5 minutes is not a long time?

Indeed. But my contention was that preparing and teaching a 40 min class is pretty much the same as preparing and teaching a 45-50 min class. Thus, you'd rather teach 150 fifty min classes than 170 fourty min classes. No? And if so, like Grotto wrote, they should pay you per class.

This contract in fact does pay you per class, 14,000 - their arguement being that it equals 21,000 per hour, making this an awesome paying job. Perhaps it is good, I dunno: but 170 lessons sounds like a lot to prepare in four weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: