Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ULSAN Maple college or East Maple Lang. Inst.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunlit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: ULSAN Maple college or East Maple Lang. Inst. Reply with quote

i sent off my contract and it looks like i'm heading to korea. has anyone here had any dealings with the school OR have some insight into the area?? i would love to meet up with fellow english teachers in ulsan. ALSO, i'm going in July, are there any lil USA products that people would like to request??
yodanole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the school. Ulsan is an industrial city of about a million people. The 7th largest in Korea. Sometimes refered to as "the Detroit of Korea". Hyundai Motor company is located here. It is a harbor city. On a map it appears to be near the coast. Don't let that fool you. It is 30 minutes by car/bus, and not suitable for swimming or fishing. Ulsan has McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Popeye's Chicken, Pizza Hut, Domino's Pizza and, recently, Outback Steak House. In other respects, Ulsan resembles every other Korean city, meaning there are Korean restaurants (suprise), Korean restaurants and more Korean restaurants. And the karaoke rooms, liquor rooms or liquor tents, beer houses, public bathhouses, and oh, did I mention Korean restaurants? Menus vary little. You'll see the other options when you get here. Other than an occasional Korean Chinese restaurant (relatively cheap) or Japanese restaurant (relatively expensive), you will be limited primarily to the above mentioned fast food for Western options. There are numerous department stores and if you visit them all, you will be able to buy olives, pickles, cheese, avacados, spaghetti sauce, popcorn, canned soup, peanut butter, and more usual spices such as oregano, cinnamon, bay leaf etc. However you usually won't find all you're looking for in any one place, no matter what your taste. All in all, it doesn't have the range of choices as Seoul or Pusan, but highly liveable. Oh, and if you get a chance, visit a Korean restaurant, Good luck! Oh, and by the way, to spare you the "shock" experienced by another recent arrival, rumor has it that there may be prostitution in Korea. LOL! After all, it is a port city!
sunlit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: thank you for the insight Reply with quote

i'm told that i will be in the boondockier portion of ulsan, but i also get a car to use. i'm coming to korea with very lil expectations. i'm going to treat it like a 1 yr camping trip and all the amenitites will just be a nice surprise.
_____, i was also wondering if you've taked korean classes at the uni? i was hoping to try that out.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vietnamese restaurant isn't really "across" from the University but it is in that part of town. It's a few blocks away from the Foreigner Bar called "Tombstone". The food is pretty good. Prices are more than what you'd pay at a Korean restaurant, but they are reasonable.

FYI: there are a number of decent western restaurants in Ulsan if you're willing to pay. Try "Flora" near the Hyundai Department store in SamsonDong.
U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: TheUlsanWeb Reply with quote

Try www.TheUlsanWeb.com for more info about the city. It's not the mother of all sites but is a wonderful attempt by a few expats living in the city to highlight what's up in Ulsan.

Here's some other info:

Bang-o-jin has a foreigners' apt. community (www.ulsan-korea.com) with around 300 families. Several good eating places near there. Try Hole in the wall. There's also a Subway sandwich shop in Bang-o-jin. You can buy burrito shells in the stopkorea.com store nearby the apt. community.

There's a year round ice-rink too along with a resevoire (spell?) in that part of town.

TheUlsanWeb lists movies showing in the lotte cinema each week (no timetable but at least you know what's showing).
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find directions (with map) to the vietnamese restaurant on www.theulsanweb.com.

Question for Ulsan-ites: I'm coming into town early in the AM of May 3rd. Need to find a Jimjil Bang to catch a few hours of shut eye. Can anyone direct me to one in or near the Samsun Dong area? Or how about nearby in Yaumdong or Daldong?

Cheers!

Kyle

Last edited by kylehawkins2000 on Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
yodanole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eye contact or (gasp) even conversation with other foreigners usually depends on how late I am for work. As I said, that's about the only time I leave my house. Thanks to everybody, I started out to give a little information and got a lot in return. Good thread for me to learn about Ulsan!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: