Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sites for NON-ESL/EFL jobs in Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syclick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Sites for NON-ESL/EFL jobs in Korea Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm moving to Korea soon (Seoul), to be with my fiancee before the wedding later this year. We'll be living in Korea for a year or two, and so I'm currently looking for work there. This website has been a godsend, so much thanks to all involved.

However, my degree is in Computer Science, so I'm trying to find a programming job somewhere in Seoul. But I haven't been able to find any resources in English anywhere on the web for such jobs.

My fiancee will be visiting places such as KT with a copy of my resume (even went to the KT job seminar in San Francisco last month), but that's really all we have to go on so far.

If nothing else turns up I am more than willing to take a teaching job. I taught English in Italy for two years. But I'd really like to further my chosen career, to make it easier to continue programming once we get back to the US.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wish you the best of luck.

But, I suspect in Korea, when they program Korean computer programs,. they want programmers who know Korean. Just a hunch.

I also would gather that any English-programming would be done by Koreans who know English (Gyopos, etc.)

I have searched the Net. Nothing has come up under Google, Yahoo, Infoseek, Altavista, or Alltheweb.

Sorry, but dems da brakes.
BTM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also looked for this sort of thing, many times. Most of the work, when it happens, seems to be with multinationals, and if you work here, you've been hired overseas and seconded to Seoul or something of the kind.

There are some jobs appearing in other industries besides Syllabus Slogging, but they're still pretty thin on the ground...

(I'd love to hear different, though.)
gajackson1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be, if you have a pretty boss resume/creds/refs, go with one of the big headhunting companies that advertises in the K Herald or K Times.

But methinx, again, Gyopos get the lion's share of this kind of work.

Very best of luck to you!!!

Hmmm - one final idea - if you decide on the teaching job, try a corporate school, and adult classes. Networking works in Korea (hope you can drink & sing!!!)

Glen

(how I found my hosting job in Gang-nam)
Trinny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First get a teaching job, because computer job will take a while before coming along.

Go to American, Canadian, Australian, European, British Chamber of Commerce and network with the business people there, who are always complaining about their Korean engineers not being able to communicate in English. There are large presence of Nortel, ISMBC, IECL and other Canadian IT consulting companies that hire computer science graduates ongoing basis.

American and Canadian embassy do hire system administrators. But, you have a snowball in hell chance of seeing this position open to the public and they are looking for someone who have a decent command of Korean. And you have to be a jack of all trades to work for embassies, troubleshooting all the performancen problems experienced by the embassy staff (some of them are pretty dumb in terms of computer stuff)If money is not an issue, do the volunteer work with these embassies or chamber of commmerce, so that you can continue with your career.

Many headhunters advertising in Korea Herald are crooks and they are usually dealing with Koreans. I know a couple of Australian guys who worked for them got burnt by these companies and these company still haven't taken out the pictures of my friends from their advertisements, long after they quit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: