Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

for the Canadians, Toronto: good or bad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

what do you think of Toronto
I love it! It's the center of the universe.
26%
 26%  [ 14 ]
Great place to visit but I wouldn't like to live there.
23%
 23%  [ 12 ]
The city is nice but not its people in it.
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
The people are nice but the city isn't anything special.
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Everything about that place just plain old sucks.
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
Toronto??? Where's that???
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 52

TECO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent a week in Toronto.

I'm from B.C. (trees and mountains "suck ass?")

First, it was cold in T.O. I cannot believe how cold it gets there. But then again I have lived mostly in Vancouver where it doesn't get that cold.

I think Toronto would have a lot of variety for food, culture and bars and things to do. But I couldn't live in a climate like that.

You might have seen my earlier post when I was in Orillia, Ontario a couple of weeks ago which is only an hour or so North of Toronto.

-36c with the wind chill Shocked

I'm now happy that I'm back in Taiwan where the temp. was +20c at 8:00am yesterday!
tommynomad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
outside of Manitoba, there's nowhere in Canada I rather not live than B.C.

They never get it:
More festivals
More freshwater lakes
More restaurants (per capita)
More winter sports (ok, 'cause we've got more winter)
than anywhere else in Canada.

Oh yeah, and the nation's most potent hydroponic, if you like that kind of thing (I don't).
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh yeah, and the nation's most potent hydroponic, if you like that kind of thing (I don't

The most potent? Bring it on.
kermo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio Free Vestibule is a Canadian comedy group based in Montreal, and they wrote the following song, which I was encouraged by another poster to share here. I think it captures some of my feelings about the place.

I don't want to go to Toronto.
All of the blocks are square.
None of the streets are twisted.
None of the streets are paved with bricks.
There are no many elevators in Toronto.
Not enough stairs in Toronto. Not enough stairs!
All of the food in Toronto is made of edible oil products.
They don't have bagels in Toronto. Donuts made of edible oil in Toronto. I don't like donuts. They don't have bagels.
I don't want to go to Toronto.

People don't have faces in Toronto. They have cigarette ads instead.
They listen to your phone calls.
There's a tower in Toronto that controls people's minds!

it's illegal to possess brightly coloured balloons in Toronto. Illegal to own brightly coloured balloons!
All of children in Toronto must wear suits. Even the girls! Three piece suits!
The buildings in Toronto have no windows.
I don't want to go!
Everyone lives in subterranean caverns filled with donuts made of edible oil. I don't want to go!
Nobody goes to the bathroom in Toronto. They have a special operation. They have it removed surgically!
There's a tax on all wicker goods in Toronto. There's huge buildings with no windows and streets with no curves and inside you find little girls running around in suits with black balloons and munching on edible oil products.

The kids don't have names in Toronto. They have numbers which are assigned to them at birth. They're called 387.7, 412.9, and they all have cigarette ads instead of faces. I don't want to go to Toronto. I don't want to go.
I have plenty of wicker goods. I don't want a tax on my wicker goods!
I like going to the bathroom. I don't want to go to the hospital. I don't want to go to Toronto.
Do I have to go to Toronto? Do I?
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is why Radio Free Vestibule is based in Montreal. Now that you're on a roll why don't you post some Bowser and Blue so we can really understand the intricacies of Montreal humour?
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAMZ wrote:
Manner of Speaking wrote:
I don't mind Toronto, but what gets me sometimes is Torontonians who know ABSOLUTELY nothing about the rest of Canada. I remember meeting one chick in Ottawa once who told me, "I should come up to Northern Canada more often." Rolling Eyes

i think its fair to say that in a country as large as canada is its a little difficult for the majority of people to formulate a well informed opinion about the cities they havent lived in or visited for long

Yeah but OTTAWA? "Northern Canada"? C'mon.

Besides, ** scratches head ** haven't most people in Canada heard things -- nice or otherwise -- about other cities or towns in Canada?

I've never been to Winnipeg...but I at least know where it is, heard it's very cold in the winter, they have a good newspaper, there's a Francophone and a Jewish community there, and the lakes east of Winnipeg are very nice. I know where Lethbridge, Nelson, the Eastern Townships, and Saltspring Island are, and have heard they are nice places too, even though I've never been to any of them.

And I KNOW they're not in Northern Canada! Rolling Eyes Laughing
JAMZ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAMZ wrote:
I don't mind Toronto, but what gets me sometimes is Torontonians who know ABSOLUTELY nothing about the rest of Canada. I remember meeting one chick in Ottawa once who told me, "I should come up to Northern Canada more often." Rolling Eyes

i think its fair to say that in a country as large as canada is its a little difficult for the majority of people to formulate a well informed opinion about the cities they havent lived in or visited for long

Yeah but OTTAWA? "Northern Canada"? C'mon.

Besides, ** scratches head ** haven't most people in Canada heard things -- nice or otherwise -- about other cities or towns in Canada?

I've never been to Winnipeg...but I at least know where it is, heard it's very cold in the winter, they have a good newspaper, there's a Francophone and a Jewish community there, and the lakes east of Winnipeg are very nice. I know where Lethbridge, Nelson, the Eastern Townships, and Saltspring Island are, and have heard they are nice places too, even though I've never been to any of them.

And I KNOW they're not in Northern Canada! Rolling Eyes Laughing

yeah you're friend there is a little semi-retarded.... but still not representative of the majority of torontonians.... one thing people should also take into consideration is that a large part of the population in toronto are immigrants which means they dont have the same educational background that native canadians have where things such as geography of the country were taught
sparkx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommynomad wrote:
Not nearly enough beautiful women for a city that big

You crazy

paperbagprincess wrote:
toronto pales in comparison with montreal

You crazy too

kermo wrote:
They don't have bagels in Toronto

You de craziest

Patong Dong wrote:
Some of the comments on Torontonians being rude are baseless. I cannot think of a time I have brushed off someone to give directions. If I came on this board and said I spent a day in Seoul and here is the skinny on it I'd be jumped on, same goes for your brief run-ins with Toronto or Torontonians. Every place in the world has its a-holes and morons.

Anyways, I think T.O. is the best city in Canada and I expect that others are of the same attitude towards their hometowns. Just because Toronto is the most important Canadian city doesn't mean we aren't allowed to show civic pride as well.

Bang on
poddubny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for my fellow torontonians...a lil taste of home:

Wink

Quote:
3 dead, 5 hurt in deadly weekend
Series of incidents involving gunfire erupts across the city, including attack on couple

MEGAN OGILVIE AND JORDAN HEATH-RAWLINGS
STAFF REPORTERS

A weekend of gunfire and violence has left three people dead and five people being treated for their injuries in local hospitals.

The victims include a man in his 20s who was found shot dead yesterday in his apartment in the Kipling-Steeles Aves. area, a woman fatally shot Friday evening by a man who police say had "some relationship" with her, and a man who collapsed dead in a Davenport Rd. home Friday afternoon during a fight with another resident.

Other shootings yesterday and Friday also sent several victims to hospital.

The incidents include:

*A shooting at about 5 p.m. yesterday at 2777 Kipling Ave. near Steeles Ave. W. Police say they arrived at the Etobicoke building and found a man in his 20s shot dead in a 13th-floor apartment. Two other victims were rushed to Sunnybrook hospital, where they are being treated for gunshot wounds.

*A woman was shot dead and her husband injured by gunfire just before 6 p.m. Friday when they were attacked in an underground parking garage on Brookbanks Dr. in North York. Det.-Sgt. Gerry Cashman said police are hunting a suspect who had "some relationship" with the woman.

Border points and airports are on the lookout for the suspect, who police believe may be headed for Vancouver. John Kovacs, 52, is wanted on charges of first-degree murder and attempted murder. He was last seen fleeing the scene in a silver 1999 Honda with Ontario plate 149 WRX.

*On Friday afternoon police arrived at a Davenport Rd. residence in the St. Clair Ave. W.-Lansdowne Ave. area to find 50-year-old Donald Andrew Latremouille with no vital signs. Investigators say the man collapsed on the kitchen floor during a fight with another resident. A cause of death has not been determined. Christopher Gordon Phillips, 27, is in custody on a charge of manslaughter.

Also yesterday, police rushed to the Plaza Flamingo, on College St. near Bathurst St., after gunfire erupted at about 1 a.m. Investigators say a man was shot in the back after a fight broke out on the dance floor, and a woman hit in the thigh. Police say the same bullet may have hit both victims, who are being treated for their injuries.

Officers are also investigating reports of gunfire yesterday in the Dupont and Dufferin Sts. area, although no victims had turned up.

Police are also continuing the hunt for a suspect after a student standing in a covered bus shelter near Monsignor Fraser College, in the Midland-Finch Aves. area, was hit in the arm by gunfire about 1 p.m. Friday.

Following last night's shooting on Kipling Ave., residents peered over balconies and shouted to onlookers assembled on the sidewalk as police scoured the area for suspects.

"I heard people crying close to apartment 1308, so I went to go and see," said Abdul Aboud, 45, who was visiting a friend on the 16th floor when he heard about a commotion three floors down.

"About two or three people were crying and there were three police officers," he said. "One was taking notes and two others were standing by the open door."

A resident who identified himself only as Kirk W., 23, said he wasn't surprised by the shootings. "This does happen around here, especially in the ghetto," he said. "And this is the ghetto."

Blaine Timmer, a 20-year resident of the building who was out for an evening walk with his dog, said he's had it. "It's time to move," he said. "It's gangs, hookers and drugs. This is a high-crime area, lots of young people with nothing better to do."

At last word, police had no suspects.

Investigators probing Friday's fatal shooting on Brookbanks Dr. were given a description of the suspect by the dead woman's husband, who was injured by the gunfire and is recovering in Sunnybrook hospital.

Cashman said the 35-year-old woman and her attacker had a history together. "My understanding is that it's a personal relationship," he said.

Police say they are unable to release her identity until they contact next-of-kin in Europe.

Investigators said they knew of at least one order barring the suspect from contacting the victim, but they wouldn't characterize the nature of the order.

Cashman called the killing "a cold-blooded ambush, just a cold-blooded attack.

"It appears that he was lying in wait for these individuals," Cashman said. "He came up unprovoked and shot them."

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1108249810993&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes
kermo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patong Dong wrote:
And that is why Radio Free Vestibule is based in Montreal. Now that you're on a roll why don't you post some Bowser and Blue so we can really understand the intricacies of Montreal humour?

Radio Free Vestibule wrote a silly tune about Toronto, and therefore they live in Montreal? I can't confirm that, nor do I have a clue who Bowser and Blue are, but none of this has anything to do with Toronto, or the fact that I have plenty of wicker goods.
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Radio Free Vestibule are based in Montreal and therefore wrote a "song" about Toronto. In Montreal, if something makes fun of Toronto it can forgo humour and still be a hit among the local populace. Montrealers just can't accept Toronto's position in Canada.
kermo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patong Dong wrote:
No, Radio Free Vestibule are based in Montreal and therefore wrote a "song" about Toronto. In Montreal, if something makes fun of Toronto it can forgo humour and still be a hit among the local populace. Montrealers just can't accept Toronto's position in Canada.

I gathered your meaning, despite your inversed logic and strangely defensive posture. Rather than take offense to the jibes of Montrealers, I would take it as tribute. You don't see them picking on Saskatoon, and there's a reason for that. Toronto is a big place, and it's the hub of a lot of important cultural activity. In Australia, the practise of taking aim at the most prominent and flashy is called "Tall Poppy Syndrome."

However, it is a place that does inspire some jeering. Sure, it's got some great restaurants, a fair number of clubs and shops, and maybe even bagels Wink but I don't see anything special about the place. In the eyes of other Canadians, Toronto seems to be regarded as a little big for its britches, a self-appointed "centre of the universe". I don't have a problem with the big, bland metropolis itself; it's the attitude of its denizens that gets up my nose.

If Toronto is as fabulous as you claim, then there's no need to let the jibes of a few Quebeckers get your knickers in a twist. Eat some edible oil products, and consider going to the hospital for a procedure that might bring some relief.
tommynomad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought so--which confirms the young woman as a moron.
Quote:

I've never been to Winnipeg...but I at least know where it is, heard it's very cold in the winter,

Yup.
Quote:
they have a good newspaper,

Ooooo---no. Two rags, though one has pretensions.
Quote:
there's a Francophone and a Jewish community there,

Largest franco pop. east of PQ. Good bagels and gefilte fish. Also big populations of: Filipinos, Ukranians, Germans, Koreans, Chinese, Eritrean, Cantonese, Poles, and Sudanese. And a Little Italy that's all gelati and restaurants and "private" clubs where men drink grappa, play cards, and watch soccer on RAI as scooterboys zip in-and-out of the back doors with unmarked boxes.

Quote:
and the lakes east of Winnipeg are very nice.

As are the ones west and north.

Pyongshin Sangja wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

Oh yeah, and the nation's most potent hydroponic, if you like that kind of thing (I don't)

The most potent? Bring it on.

Well, I don't have any on me.... Besides, as I said I'm not a fan: it's too harsh, and the high gets racy/anxious fast. I much prefer BC's beautiful, mellow, outdoor organic. Who wants ganja grown in abandoned nickle mines anyway? Sometimes I'll go dry waiting for the grass I want, rather than what's available.
kermo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkx wrote:
kermo wrote:
They don't have bagels in Toronto

You de craziest

Well, it's a fair cop.
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kermo wrote:

If Toronto is as fabulous as you claim, then there's no need to let the jibes of a few Quebeckers get your knickers in a twist. Eat some edible oil products, and consider going to the hospital for a procedure that might bring some relief.

What I take issue with is not Toronto getting mocked, but rather the accuracy of any derisive comments. There is a difference between making fun of something in a clever way and a thinly disguised theme of hate masquerading as "funny". I lived in Montreal for some time and thought it was a great city. It was too bad Montrealers were so fixated on Toronto.

I think the worst came when the Jays first one the AL championship and were heading to the World Series and the Gazette came out with an article bashing the team, the fans, the Skydome, etc and claiming that it should have been the Expos who were the first Canadian team going to the series. Talk about petty jealousy!

Taking the piss out of Toronto and Torontonians is fine, but I'll defend it when the charges become nonsensical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: