Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice. Experienced posters willing to help via PM.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eamo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 years and counting.

Let's see...my area of expertise...mmmmm....don't really have one!!! Laughing I guess I know my way around the hagwon minefield and how to enjoy yourself in Seoul for about the price of a pack of smokes in the UK.
simulated stereo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never mind

Last edited by simulated stereo on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
trevorcollins

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help with any travel (particularly Asian) stuff.
Have more or less been to every country in these parts.
Or click on the sig, I tend to check that more often.
Just give me a day or two to answer cos I'm a lazy bastard.
diver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by poster.

Last edited by diver on Sun May 01, 2005 6:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
hojucandy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: 1,073 Reply with quote

i second harin's observation about canuckistan's paranoia... settle down. panthermodern is not even very active over on the expat board.

i have been here about 3.5 years and can offer advice on pets (i am a vet) and learning korean traditional music (gugak)...
diver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1,073 Reply with quote

hojucandy wrote:
i have been here about 3.5 years and can offer advice on pets (i am a vet) and learning korean traditional music (gugak)...

A vet? A verteran pet owner or an animal doctor? Very Happy
hojucandy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: 1,075 Reply with quote

veterinary surgeon.... veterinarian... whichever yu prefer.

dr hoju at your service

Very Happy
Homer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 years in....pm's welcome from feb 20th on as I will be away till then.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree this is a great idea.

Although I'm not in Korea any longer, I was in Korea for a little over three years both teaching and working in an office.

I guess my niche is that I did Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and now I'm in China. I guess I could help someone compare the four places.

I rarely post anymore but I am usually lurking at times out of curiousity. Best way to catch me is through a PM with the other Job Dissussion Forums (China/Japan, etc).
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: pm's Reply with quote

Anyone can PM me. OI have been here 4 yrs, am 52, and have started a group for people pver the age of 40. I teach kinder in hogwons. Yes, some think i'm nuts, but this is what I love.

Also, I will post any answers directly on this board. ANd as popel know, my spelling and typing is not good, but then again, when I am not using this board I do use the dictionary. (and/or "spell checl"
uberscheisse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone who gives a newbie a snide or condescending answer should get a good swift kick in the gennies. it's just rude.

i've been here only 1 year but i'd like to think i know some stuff. anyone can PM me for what little i know.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Panthermodern is on to something good here. The sig idea is even better. I think what will come of it is an exchange of information and possibly a way for people to meet others who share similar hobbies & interests. For example: I'm very much interested in photo-editing. Some have talked about forming a club, yada yada. Yet if I know that certain people have knowledge about it, I can fire off a quick PM and ask them a question and get some info~ or be pointed in a direction where the info is without probably too much delay~ especially if they are on-line at that time.

It would also be good for certain sensitive topics, and/or banned topics as well.

I really wonder why some people get up in arms over certain things. Great idea PM. Wish that I would have thought of it.

I'm willing to offer what I know about Traveling Asia, Acoustic Guitar repair buy/sell where in town, what's good, yada yada. Counseling/psychotherapy. Cross-cultural relationships, F-2-1 VISA's soju mamas (dating, marriage to a Korean woman).

Stuff about Seoul & Suwon. etc.

All the best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
AJRimmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good thing about this thread is that you can see who has had experience in what field. So even if you read responces in other threads you'll have more of an idea if you want to trust that advice.

This is also provides an opportunity for information to be shared on topics that aren't particularly welcome on this board.

If my account stays alive, I can answer questions or about cults in Korea and on working or traveling in Japan.
JongnoGuru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I came up with the sig thing. Panther, I insist on a cut of any royalties. Cool Harpeau's suggestion about including hobbies is also good. Nine posters out of 10 leave the "Occupation" and "Interests" fields blank in their profiles, or they write something jokey, like "climbing walls & jumping to conclusions" or "corrupting young minds" or what have you. But even members who take it seriously and list their interests (I didn't, FTR), no-one's going to stumble upon that info except by accident.

So, the Signature line could be used for whatever you want to do, whether it be offering advice to people who can't find answers in any of the threads (or to newbies who might be hesitant to start one of their own), or finding members who share your hobbies and interests. It doesn't have to be just a newbie help line. No harm in that, though.

There is still the problem of newbies possibly being misled by bad info from a single source, which Blind Willie and others (myself included) have pointed out. As I see it, the principle of caveat emptor applies in all cases – to advice gleaned from a single member via PM, as well as to advice that's been chewed over, wrestled over, voted on and spat out in a noisy public thread. (Some of the threads I've seen actually generate a great deal more confusion and really pointless ill will than useful information.)

Obviously, the public thread is better. Much better. And I'm sure that even newbies understand that and the reasons why. They're newbies to Korea, not newbies to common sense. But still, a PM from someone who's offering to help is, I think, better than nothing at all. I��ve even gotten PMs from people on Dave��s asking questions, and I��m a nine-month tenderfoot on this board myself. Whenever they ask me ESL-related questions, I direct them to a thread over on Job Forum or suggest they start a thread themselves, because I wouldn��t know Korea's best teaching contract from a bill of sale at a slave auction. And I (would like to) think most members would be just as careful about dispensing advice.
Incognito

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie comment #3.

-----------------------------------

My history on Dave's...

Began lurking in October 2004.

Registered December 20, 2004.

Made my first post in mid January 2005.

------------------------------------

As you can see, it was approx. 4 months before I became confident enough to make a post here on Dave's and that particular post was a simple request for information. (Most people, I believe, are simply reluctant to hurl themselves into a public forum.) As a matter of fact, I remember debating whether or not to use the forums early on and after reading several, I thought...NO WAY am I entering this viper's den!!! At that point I actually emailed Dave himself for answers to my questions. Believe it or not he answered every question I had. (Don't take this the wrong way and think I am suggesting that all newbies PM Dave for questions; I ceased doing it myself after learning how busy he is and all.)

My point is this...

There needs to be some type of mechanism in place to make a newbies transition from lurker to contributor less stressful! For instance...if, from the very beginning of my lurking phase, I would have seen a STICKY that was entitled something like "ARE YOU NEW, OR JUST NEED ADVICE? - THIS THREAD IS FOR YOU" or I suppose "ADVICE. EXPERIENCED POSTERS WILLING TO HELP via PM" I would have immediately clicked it! So why can't this be done? The content could be exactly what Panther is suggesting...a list of people, along with their PM link, volunteering their time and energy to helping others with questions that they do not want to hurl out into the public arena to be scrutinized by everyone! This method, in my opinion, would not only be a wonderful source of information, it would also build up a newbie's confidence level so he/she can eventually feel comfortable enough to make contributions to the board.

Here is my vision...

Once this thread has run its course and those who want to participate have made it known, someone should then compile those names, along with their areas of expertise, and post a concise thread. How hard could that be? Once the concise thread has been posted, a mod should then make that thread a sticky! It should always be open for additional folks wanting to participate. I'm sure a mod would not mind administering the changes. Smile

I realize that instead of using the sticky concept, someone wanting to participate could just post their areas of expertise in their signature. The problem with this, in my opinion, is that most people use their signature for other purposes and would not like to give up that option.

Anyway, let me end by saying...from a newbie standpoint, I don't see Panther's PM concept as a ploy to undermine the good of the site, I see it as another way that this site can serve its users.

Thanks!

dgcook

Last edited by Incognito on Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: