Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice. Experienced posters willing to help via PM.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain kirk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eight years, have lived in different cities, all working in haggies. Pm if you want.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me and I'll tell you who not to get advice from.
diver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panthermodern wrote:
So, the idea is to put message into your signature if you are interested in being contacted via PM to help others.

Does anyone have a problem with that.

Yup, I do. That stillmeans that the people who wnat to offer help are scattered all over the board. Someone would have to stumble upon a post in an unrelated thread to find someone who was willing to help.

The sig idea is a good way to enhance panther's idea, not replace it. Just as panther's idea is an option, not an attempt to replace the FAQ or Q&A sections.

I think this thread should be moved (or started over) and made a sticky in the FAQ or Q&A sections. I think the first post should be the rules and a disclaimer.

Rules:
You may only post which areas you feel you have enough experience in to help someone. NOTHING else.

Disclaimer:
The answere you receive from those offering help are correct to the best of that user's knowledge. However, due to frequent and unannounced changes in Korean adminisrative policies, the information you receive could be out of date or incorrect. We recommend that you use the info you receive as a starting point, and contact the relevant parties/ministries to obtain the most up-to-date information possible. We also recommend that you pm several users to get the broadest range of info possible.

This creates another option for users. It doesn't replace anything. Those that want to modify their sigs can do so.

It's a good idea. Some people have made some good ideas to improve it (the sig line idea), some have made some valid/constructive criticisms. And some will hate it forever, simply because of who came up with it. I would be more likely to post a response to a pm than to a public request for info as I have been burned in the past as well. Just my two cents.

Last edited by diver on Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name's JacktheCat.

People on this board have helped me in the past, so I'd be happy to pass it down the line to any newbies.

I went through 3 jobs in my first 8 months in Korea, so I'm somewhat knowledgable about how to legally change your job and sue your previous employer at the labour board.

I'm a student of Korean culture and history, both through university and self-study. If you've got any questions regarding Tangun or Park Chung He I'm your man.

What else, oh yeah, I've lived in 15 countries and travelled though 90 or so and taught English in Japan and China. And I'm something of a knowledge pack rat so there may be other things I can help you out with.

As to my interests, check out my profile, its all there.
nateyb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can pm me too.

I have been here for three years off and on and I do know a bit about Bundang.. (esp. Jeongja-dong and Sunae-dong)

I agree with PantherModern on this one...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread is a great idea.. the mods dont seem to help much..
as I said before.. MODS are suppose to know more than most in korea.
these ones surely dont..

IF anyone wants to know anything about K girls, dating, clubbing, getting into film, and tv, starting your own business, promoting etc..
just PM me.. I been here 8 years..
inkoreaforgood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, I have lived in Seoul, small towns, the boonies, worked at hagwons, colleges, taught students of all ages, and dealt with all kinds of office politics, crappy co-workers, and some pushy bosses too. Also married to a Korean. Been here 7 years, no plans to ever leave. PM me if you're desparate enough.... Laughing

PS: Sticky this sucker, if you please.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am willing to help.

Came to Korea in 1996
9 years studying Korean culture and history
know about Kangnam, Bundang, and Chungnam-do
hagwons
popular Korean culture/music
religion

cannot answer questions about Hongdae, Itaewon, or women (who can? Wink )
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chronicpride

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the 1st page of this, I felt that this could have the ingredients of more male pissing matches about in-country tenure, which brought back memories of the elitism of the post count days.

But, looking at the posts and some sigs, it looks like any potential machismo is contained.

I'll throw my hat into the advice ring, regarding my industry experience as a former recruiter. You can ask me most questions on the legit and underground job front, with exception of the intimate workings of universities and public schools. Outside of this arena, I could offer advice on financial planning, from my pre-Korea work experience, plus help out with expat taxation matters. And also some red-light district type stuff. Wink
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Korea 6 years altogether...count me in.

My complements to the thread author also...great idea!
tzechuk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can PM me.. Don't know if I can be of much help..

Let's see..

I've been here - in Daejeon - for 4 years, coming up to 5 later this year. Married to a Korean man, help him run a business. Recently gave birth to a baby girl.. so I know some stuff about running a business and some stuff about running other people's life. I can more than help you run your life, if you want Laughing.
just because

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fantastic idea.

My 2 cents.

Been here 3.5 years.

My areas of expertise would be.
*Kyeongsangnamdo(esp. Changwon and masan)

*Fukuoka Visa Run

*Travelled all over asia

*I have travelled around Korea more than anyone I know so if you want to know anything about places in Korea definantly give me a PM.

*Japan - lived there a year, been all around the country. Have been there 8 times in the past 2.5 years(only 2 visa runs so i have been there yes Very Happy ). Also had a J girl for 3 years which gave me lots of insight.

*Korean relationships - have a great friend who has married one, another great friend who has been in one for 2 years and myself who has had a few ups and downs with my current K-girl of almost 3 years.
casey's moon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.5 years. Lived in Jeonju, Gunsan, Seoul and am now in Daejeon. I've taught kindergarten, LEC, and at a university, and I've been a full time Korean student. I'm also married to a Korean man. I'm happy to be PM'd anytime.

BTW, I don't know what the fight is about on this thread. Perhaps some editing occurred??? I'm so out of it after being off line for a month. (On that note, definitely don't both PM'ing me to ask questions about the goings on of this board or any other as I'm clueless.)
JongnoGuru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casey's moon wrote:
BTW, I don't know what the fight is about on this thread. Perhaps some editing occurred??? I'm so out of it after being off line for a month. (On that note, definitely don't both PM'ing me to ask questions about the goings on of this board or any other as I'm clueless.)

Hi, Casey's Moon. This usen't to be a sticky in the FAQ Forum -- it was a thread started elsewhere, and the squabble was mainly (not wholly) caused by the skepticism of some posters as to the true motives of the author/inventor of what is, at the end of the day, a good and simple idea: more experienced members offering advice to newbies & others on particular subjects.

Although I personally like the idea and have changed my Signature Line because of it, I do have some doubts and reservations about it myself.

1. How many people will use it?
I may be wrong, but I do wonder just how many "newbies" to Korea/to Dave's are genuinely too scared to ask questions for fear the 'old hands' will use them for target practise. Just how big a problem is this? And, isn't it the same for any online forum? Just something newbies the world over have to deal with?

Valid doubts, I think. But not reasons for me or other posters not to offer advice if we wish to however many or few people want it.

2. Ego-stroking, forum-politicising/-factionalising, authority-usurping?
These are the major concerns of the 'skeptics' of the original idea, I think. A lot of this I frankly don't get, much as I don't get a lot of the axe-grinding and point-scoring that goes on here. Just can't keep up with all the feuds on Dave's, most of which predate my arrival here. Give the Guru a full year here and he may well find himself a party to one or another of these factions or alliances, getting himself banned or booted...

But in the meantime, ignorance is bliss because it allows us relative newbies to Dave's to recognise good ideas on their own merits. And good ideas, as we know, are good ideas -- even if a closet Mods-bashing, newbie-hater or a phoney-Texan-cowboy-turned-president comes up with them.

3. No "quality control" for advice given via PM.
This is the best criticism I see of the 'PM Advice Network' idea. It's always best to get second & third opinions -- particularly for truly vital info -- than to rely on a single, unchallenged source. But I think most of us know what we know and what we don't, and are not too proud to say as much to a newbie. As anywhere, caveat emptor applies on all advice on a free online bulletin board, as I'm sure newbies understand even before they get to Korea.

For me personally, I don't see this as something aimed exclusively at newbies -- I frequently have questions about aspects of life in Korea that I'm sure many posters here who arrived w/in the last 2-3 years could give authoritative answers to. I also see it as something beyond merely giving advice, which is why I included my hobbies and interests in my Sig Line.

Heck... I'm flapping my gums way too much about what is a very simple concept. Augment your Sig Line and offer people some advice (and/or list your hobbies & interests) .... or don't. It's as stupidly simple and innocent as that.
chronicpride

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just on a side note, related to the inspiration of the thread's idea, but I've seen websites that have discussion boards, employ a Newbie Forum, where no question is a stupid question. Any flames and smartass comments in the outset are vigorously dealt with by mods, and eventually the forum is run pretty clean. It's pretty effective in thawing the nervous poster. Just a thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: