Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Misguided Korea
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beege

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Misguided Korea Reply with quote

We see the posts everyday. Looking for "female" teacher, looking for "Caucasian" teacher, prefer "Canadian", "E-2" visas only. A recent post for a winter camp position posted by Camp Korea threatened not to acknowledge your email if you didn't following simple instructions which were to submit your name, age, visa status, and present location. The threat, written in majuscules clearly instructed applicants not to send their CV's. This is another example of discrimination that takes place everyday among Korean companies as it appears the camp was looking to hire applicants who fell within a specific age group. I suppose Camp Korea has no interest in finding out if you're a licensed teacher, a TESOL degree holder, or if you're experiential in teaching at camps. I cringe every time I see these blatant acts of discrimination which in western society, as we all know, is illegal. The problem is that we have an entire society that lacks critical thinking. It never occurs to Koreans that by asking for your age or photo, they are either discriminating against you or discriminating for you. Paul defines critical thinking as "the art of analyzing and evaluating thinking with a view to improving it" (Paul, 2009). Freire says the purpose of education is to practice freedom. By practicing freedom through critical thinking, he believes we can transform the world. There are plenty of us taking action with a view to improving it. In other words, to end human suffering. Camp Korea is an example of a company that perpetuates human suffering. This is a culture so fixated on mammonism, kids are asking parents for plastic surgery as a birthday present to improve their chances in getting hired. When will this country realize hiring standards should be based on merit and merit alone? As a former professor at Korean universities, it was incredulous to me how many students openly talked about their hate towards gays. If they practiced critical thinking, they might realize gay marriage is a basic human right. It becomes a civil rights issue meaning live peacefully without government interference. They might also realize there shouldn't be borders on human rights. Once you set boundaries, you're basically telling a baby "you better me born in the right country because if you're gay and in the wrong country, you'll never get an opportunity to get married." How about Blacks and Asians. We know hagwons desire blond hair, blue eyes. People are incapable of teaching English because of their ethnic background? Critical thinkers understand the injustices that take place and are willing to do something about it or in Paul's words, to improving it. So many Koreans make assumptions and conclusions based on fallacies and ethnocentric behavior. They still believe blood type has something to do with chemistry. Critical thinkers know this is nothing more than haberdashery. So why do we put up with a society so close-minded education in Korea is considered a crisis. I choose to criticize companies that practice discrimination. These walls need to be torn down. They need to know social injustices are taking place and that inequality in education is prevalent. We need to show them our numbers. What are your thoughts?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spelling, grammar, and paragraphing would help your point. As it is now, you've just a wall of text in your OP, "professor".
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Nearly covered the whole spectrum there, didn't ya?
T-J

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horribly written. One word, paragraphs.

The majority was a poorly written rant. I'll address your conclusion.

Quote:

So why do we put up with a society so close-minded education in Korea is considered a crisis.

I don't even understand this sentence due to its grammar.

Quote:

I choose to criticize...

These walls need to be...

They need to know...

We need to show them...

What are your thoughts?

I think you should go home and curl up under your PC security blanket. Go back where everyone is not only created equal but has a constitutional right to equal outcome and wealth, where there are no winners and losers only participants.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was sort of funny. Did you confuse "haberdashery" with balderdash?

beege wrote:
They still believe blood type has something to do with chemistry. Critical thinkers know this is nothing more than haberdashery.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Misguided Korea Reply with quote

beege wrote:
These walls need to be torn down. They need to know social injustices are taking place and that inequality in education is prevalent. We need to show them our numbers. What are your thoughts?

I mean as a westerner, I sympathize, but you aren't in the West. Why does anything need to be torn down? Relative to the rest of the world Korea is doing fine. In fact it seems to be improving at a time when the West is arguably in decline. It's not like Korea doesn't need the West but they definitely don't need us as much as they used to. And in the future they will need us less. Our clout in Korea isn't because of our moral highground, it's because of violence and soft power. The discriminatory policies are working for the country, it's kind of scary but true. As a foreigner how are you going to convince Korean nationals to put your interest in front of theirs? You might get a few philosophy undergrads to join a coffee shop meet up but aside from that good luck convincing citizens to give up their privilege. They have a trump card and it's perfectly legal in Korea to pull it on you, that trump card is being Korean. Why....why would a population voluntarily give that up? And the more things go well, the more discrimination you will see. Eventually the people that try to excuse the discriminatory behavior for PR reasons won't even be around because they won't be necessary.

Unless there is a big war or something.

I enjoy arguing back in forth about stuff that happens in Korea for it's own sake, but at the end of the day I understand it's an exercise in futility. It helps to look at Korea as a place that will never be home, but a fascinating place that can help you learn about the world and about yourself.
Good topic though, it's kind of a full on rant instead of a rant disguised as a personal anecdote about a work experience.
rollo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well !! I thought that was a wonderfully good TrollL. The equating a hagwons hiring practice with all human suffering. the faux academic tone with the citations. A glorious good job of pretending to be the culture shocked newbie with a worthless degree in philosophy or sociology from a third rate university. I give it four and a half stars.

Now it might be over the heads of some on here. We are simple meat and potatoes folk. so keep it simpler something like"Are all hagwon teachers hopeless drunks and losers" Thats surefire.

Oh if this was real and not a troll perhaps your vast wisdom is wasted on Korea and its backward population so go home.
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Misguided Korea Reply with quote

beege wrote:
I suppose Camp Korea has no interest in finding out if you're a licensed teacher, a TESOL degree holder, or if you're experiential in teaching at camps.

"To hell with it.. might as well have some blonde Canadian girls running around the camp this year."
cabeza

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
That was sort of funny. Did you confuse "haberdashery" with balderdash?

beege wrote:
They still believe blood type has something to do with chemistry. Critical thinkers know this is nothing more than haberdashery.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Hahaha. That's awesome.

Haberdashery Laughing
creeper1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: honestly Reply with quote

That's life.

You want to be judged on merit? Go become a doctor, accountant or something.

TEFL is, and forever will be, a field where race, sex and looks trump absolutely everything else.

If you can't deal with that get out of this "career"
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLDR?
yodanole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I know? Why should I care?
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could an English teacher think it was okay to submit a wall of text for other English teachers to read and comment on?

Would you accept this from your students?
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta be a troll.

It does make for an entertaining read though. I give it an 8.6
rollo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love the honesty of the Koreans. Bit breasted blonde Canadian women .hell yeah!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: