Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Degree
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bunhongsaek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: What is the best BA to have? Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum and I don't know how to post a new topic. It keeps telling me only moderators can post a new topic. So here is my question since this thread is kind of related to my question. What is the best BA to have to teach in Korea and what is the fastet way to get one that is legit?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best BA to have? Reply with quote

bunhongsaek wrote:
I'm new to this forum and I don't know how to post a new topic. It keeps telling me only moderators can post a new topic. So here is my question since this thread is kind of related to my question. What is the best BA to have to teach in Korea and what is the fastet way to get one that is legit?

The ONLY way to get one that is legit is to go to school. Pick your favorite University.
They take between 3 and 4 years to complete.
Have fun.
See you back in 4 years.
bunhongsaek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best BA to have? Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
bunhongsaek wrote:

The ONLY way to get one that is legit is to go to school. Pick your favorite University.
Have fun.
See you back in 4 years.

is there any way to get one faster? if i push and do as many credits as possible how long will it take me?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best BA to have? Reply with quote

bunhongsaek wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
bunhongsaek wrote:

Have fun.
See you back in 4 years.

is there any way to get one faster? if i push and do as many credits as possible how long will it take me?

I want to be a doctor. I heard that it takes 8 years to get a degree, do the premed, then the internship and residency before I can get my licence. Is there a short cut I can take to do it faster?
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

are you a real person? well, anyway, this all depends on the college/university you attend. at my school (san diego state university) the average to finish with a BA is 5-6 years. most colleges take 4 years. if you hustle and take more than the usual load of classes, along with maybe summer or winter courses in a junior college, perhaps you can finish in 3 years. but i wouldnt recommend it. college isn't easy. you are supposed to use the time to develop critical analysis, personal growth, find out what you maybe want to do with your life.

if you are sure it's ESL, i would recommend you major in English or Education. if you find out it's not, change majors. another thing your supposed to do in college-find yourself a little bit.
bunhongsaek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_teach_esl wrote:
Quote:

are you a real person? well, anyway, this all depends on the college/university you attend. at my school (san diego state university) the average to finish with a BA is 5-6 years. most colleges take 4 years. if you hustle and take more than the usual load of classes, along with maybe summer or winter courses in a junior college, perhaps you can finish in 3 years. but i wouldnt recommend it. college isn't easy. you are supposed to use the time to develop critical analysis, personal growth, find out what you maybe want to do with your life.

if you are sure it's ESL, i would recommend you major in English or Education. if you find out it's not, change majors. another thing your supposed to do in college-find yourself a little bit.

of course i'm a real person... i found a program that will allow me to do an accelerated course and finish in 2 years.... i just hope i can pull it off... i know i'm a hard worker and i will get everything done that i need to but also working a full time job will make it tough
bixlerscott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Degree Reply with quote

I found that it only costs $10 and 2 weeks per replacement at my university. I can order as many as needed too. Instead of monkeying around with notorization, I am just going to use one of my 2 originals. If one is lost, I can just que another one up to make sure I always have 2!!!! Lots easier than notorization since all employers (all I seen online) give you the option to provide the original or a notarized copy. Anyone seen any difference between providing an original vs. a notorized copy?
PENNYWISE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am new here.

I was wondering if Open University degrees are accepted in Korea?

I have heard that some places don't accept them.

Thanks
westonw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Sending in Your Degree Reply with quote

for those of you questioning the best way to comply with showing proof of your degree i think bixlerscott has it right. contact your university and get a copy/replacement degree for $10 - $15.

everything you read says to send the 'original degree' but a replacement works fine. before i came over my original degree was at my parents house and they were out of town so i had no access to it. this was the best alternative, especially since you don't have to go around getting things notorized. just make sure the replacement degree they send you has the schools seal on it.

the reason they make a big fuss about having the original degree instead of notorized copies is because too many people were going to places like thailand and getting fake degrees made. thus, there is one more hoop for all of us to jump through.
Gatsby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Why? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good info and tips here.
But why do we need to submit a copy of our diploma if the college transcript states the date of graduation and type of degree?
Is this really, really necessary for a visa?
I lost track of my diploma many moves ago.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

Gatsby wrote:
But why do we need to submit a copy of our diploma if the college transcript states the date of graduation and type of degree?

Immigration rules and yes, the physical paper is required.

No diploma = no visa.
No sealed transcript = no visa.

Pretty simple. If you have them, submit them.

If you don't have them you have 2 choices, get them or pick a different county.
i_teach_esl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Why? Reply with quote

Gatsby wrote:
yeah, ttom is right, you do need it. can you contact your school? maybe you can order it online? w/my school, i had to fill out a paper form (no online request, stupid State) and a check for $12, it took around 6 weeks to get. when i went to the korean consulate to get my visa, i had them notarize/certify/whatever a couple of xerox copies of my degree, to have as back up.
mlomker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunhongsaek wrote:
of course i'm a real person... i found a program that will allow me to do an accelerated course and finish in 2 years....

I just wanted to state that this, theoretically, can be done. It involves testing out of the first two years of college courses using CLEP, DANTES, or GRE exams. You can obtain Jr/Sr year credits through a more limited selection of exams or through online courses. I took this approach to my degree but I spent four years (while working full-time) to do it.

www.excelsior.edu is where I went and there are a lot of details on their site regarding alternative methods of gaining college credit.

--
The local universities that I've checked will accept credits by examination (CLEP, DANTES, etc) but they cap it at 20-30 credits and charge a 'transcript fee'. I believe that the caps are for monetary reasons...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stann

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little off-topic but it is degree/visa related.

I sent my documents to my employer over in Korea and he applied for what he called an "issuance number."

What happens after I get this number? I am currently working here in Canada and do not wish to quit until I know for sure that my Visa will be granted and that I am going. I am scheduled to start in Korea in a little over two weeks so I am cutting it pretty close in terms of time.

Basically, at what stage of the application process am I guaranteed the E-2 visa? Part of me worries that for whatever reason, my application may be rejected.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stann wrote:
This is a little off-topic but it is degree/visa related.

I sent my documents to my employer over in Korea and he applied for what he called an "issuance number."

What happens after I get this number? I am currently working here in Canada and do not wish to quit until I know for sure that my Visa will be granted and that I am going. I am scheduled to start in Korea in a little over two weeks so I am cutting it pretty close in terms of time.

Basically, at what stage of the application process am I guaranteed the E-2 visa? Part of me worries that for whatever reason, my application may be rejected.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

After you get the number you make a quick trip to your local Korean consulate and get the visa placed into your passport. Next day you get on the plane and head over here.

From visa confirmation number to plane ride is usually 2-7 days (dependant on how you send your passport to the consulate). 2-3 days if you do it in person and 7 days if you use a delivery service.

The bad news is that there is NO guarantee until you get the visa in your passport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: