Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I lost my alien registration card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely maybe wrote:
anyone dealt with replacing a lost arc card recently? the only info i can find is nearly four years old. do i need to do it in person, or can someone go on my behalf? i ask because i didn't go to immigration to obtain my original card, and don't want to burden my employer with my problem. thanks for your help!

If you have the police report for the stolen card you can do it by proxy.
You can also do it in person.

You will need your passport, SIGNED application, police report and fee (10k won). They are usually printed up while you wait. Occasionally, if they are busy or the machine needs to be serviced they will mail it out after the fact.

kelliesprinkles

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

i am in this same situation (suddenly discovered i dont have my alien card anywhere.) do i really have to make a police report? it makes me dizzy just thinking about it. and in the case that i must, how does one make a police report in korea?
whoami

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lost my ARC, all I did was report it lost to the police. As long as you go to a station where an officer speaks English, or you have a friend who is, or for that matter, if you yourself are, fluent in Korean, there should be no problems. I think, but stand to be corrected, that "I've lost my ARC card" in Korean goes something like "waygookin indeuhng nawkjeuhng irrossawyaw". The officer in charge should help you write the report, which states your personal details, when and how you lost your items, all the stuff you'd expect.
kelliesprinkles

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay thanks. but i asked the director of my school today, who called the immigration office and then told me i needed my passport, a passport photo, 10,000 won, and to go there. and that i will get the card that same time.

i asked him about the police report and he looked rather clueless. (he understood me perfectly but just said "umm...no...why?"

anyhow. maybe just check with your director first, but looks like in my case, the police report isn't necessary. (i just plain lost it, anyway...)
whoami

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it depends on where you go to. I tried reporting my card lost directly to the immigration office, whereupon they said that I needed a police report. But that was with immigration in Daegu.
Bryan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody done this in Seoul recently? Police report or none?
Rob'sdad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosley wrote:
Might not be a problem getting back into the ROK(assuming you have a valid re-entry permit), but you MUST report your lost ARC to your local immig. office ASAP & get a new one.

For the love of Mike, people: keep a grip on your passports, ARCs, tickets, wallets, etc.!

You should also copy your passport and arc and keep them seperate form you real documents. That way the embassy and the Koreans can sort you out quickly.
Yaya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1995, I lost my ARC right before going on a business trip to China. The immigration officer said it was too late for me to get a new one before my trip, so I ended up paying a fine of 100,000 won at the airport.

I'd say the fine is probably higher now.
wanderingsalsero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Making sure my info is current re: lost card Reply with quote

From reading these posts, it seems that I may or may not need a police report. If I need it, it's not a huge problem.

Of course, I've got my passport too (i.e. my new school where I just signed a contract last Thursday has it.....but they're mailing it back to me this week).

I would expect to have to go to immigration. Since I teach right now in Jingeon (an outermost part of Namyangju) I've been to the Immigration office in Uijeongbu two or three times so far. Does it make sense that that's where I'd go to get my new card?

My new school is in Suwon. Me and my new teacher supervisor went by Immigration there last Thursday and initiated the paperwork for my new visa extension (E2). Is there any chance that I might need to go there for get my new visa?

My present visa expires on 13 December 08.....pretty soon. I wonder if that'll effect the process of getting it replaced after losing it?

Thanks,
Art
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Illysook

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my ARC card and I have less than 2 weeks left here. I've filed a police report, but my boss won't take me to immigration and it takes at least 3 weeks to get a new card anyways. I'm hoping that I can show the police report and be good to leave the country without paying a fine. Is anyone familiar with this sort of thing? Is there hope? I know that my boss is not-so-secretly satisfied with the idea of me paying to get outta here, and even though I don't want to pay it, it will be worth it to get away from her.
wanderingsalsero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: I damn sure know what I'd do first thing.. Reply with quote

Sounds like you're in a hagwon, right? I'm not sure what the literal legal options are but I do know that there is long term legal ramifications even if the 'private' hagwon people purposfully try to mess you up. You're within your rights to do what you think you have to do....I would think.

For one thing though, why do you need your boss to take you to Immigration? I've been there, by myself, before and the one or two times I was there they were pretty nice. Find out where it is and march yourself down there and explain the situation.

It might be a good idea to get all the info you can from here first and then call them. I'm sure they have people there who understand the English for 'lost my ARC card'. They've got you on file anyway. Probably all they need to look you up is you passport number and name.

You boss sure sounds like a jerk ......if it's a clear cut as you say it is.

I'm trying to remember whether I really lost mine or if I found it later. I honestly can't remember. But I do see my post up above there.

Regards....hope you get it worded out,
Art
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Illysook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to take a day off work to go to immigration and I won't be allowed a day off work, so I can only hope that showing them the police report will engender some sympathy...and I doubt there will be any long term legal ramifications. I do not intend to come back!
catchshime

Location: "I am not born for one corner; the whole world is my native land."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this just sounds like a nightmare. How much does immigration charge?
Illysook

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They charged me 80,000 won, even though I had the police report. I'm now in Thailand trying to shake the dust out of all my footwear before heading home to the States.
simpleminds

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80,000 won to replace your lost alien card? Wow.

I've lost mine, in my apartment. Immi is no longer in Uijeongbu, but out in Yangju. Anyone knows how long the process will take? I leave Korea for hols on July 6th. I've asked my school to call Immi, but they keep 'forgetting'. Getting to Yangju is an all-day excursion ( I live in Pocheon and don't have a car), so all info is appreciated!

EDIT: Got it. Two hours there, two hours back, two hours wait, five minutes and 10,000 won for my new one. No problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: