Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa question. Please help!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: Visa question. Please help!!!! Reply with quote

Hello everyone
If anyone can help me out, that would be so great. The school that I am suppose to work for is kind of pi#@ing me off and I haven't started working for them yet. I have signed a contract and I think that they have just finished getting the information that I need to send my stuff off to the Korean Consulant in Canada. I am in Canada now.

My question is, do I still have to take the job with that school? I am already having problems with them. Can I just not send the information away and find a new school? The school has not paid for my airfare yet.

I am worried that these problems are going to continue for the whole year. I have been in Korea for two years and plan on staying a long time and i really don't want to deal with these problems.
If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know 100%, but I would think that if you haven't got your visa yet then you can still scrap the whole deal. I don't see any reason why not. Have you actually filed papers etc. with the consulate yet? If not, I'd say you can ditch it without a problem.
bellum99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: no visa, no work Reply with quote

Just tell them to screw off and say you are not coming...then come and get a new job. It is easy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you send them your documents already? Have they applied for the issuance of visa paper in Korea? (the 'blue' paper)? If they've already taken your papers to the immigration department in Korea then things might be iffy....I'm not sure what the laws are in this regard. I just have a feeling that you could find problems when trying to get a visa issued with another Hogwan when you are already on file with immigration. I don't have any experience with this sort of situation....I'm just imagining...

Anyways....you might be better off with coming up with an excuse as to why you can't go to Korea at all....as opposed to just saying 'sorry but you guys are screwy and I don't want to work for you'. On the other hand the company hasn't put a whole lot of money into anything yet (assuming they haven't purchased a flight yet?) so if you just told them the truth perhaps things would work out....

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have the E2 Visa stamp in your passport yet then not a problem. If you do have it, then depending on where you are coming from you have a stipulated period of time to enter under that visa (from the date it is stamped into the passport- Australia is 3 months). Should you not enter Korea within that time frame the visa is null and void, hence you are free to do whatever you want and are not obligated to go to the institute that sponsored you, nor are you liable for any blacklisting, simply because the visa was never activated. Having to spend time outside of the place while trying to get back here to work is a pain, but at least it's an option. A few months somewhere else to fill in the time perhaps?

Still crazy, still here.
cdn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your help. I am just going to tell them the reasons that I do not want their job. Wish me luck!!!!!!!
cdn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your help. I am just going to tell them the reasons that I do not want their job. Wish me luck!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: