Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP - only one blank passport page left

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HamuHamu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: HELP - only one blank passport page left Reply with quote

When I left Korea last week, the exiting officer stamped the blank page across from my work visa to cancel it, and then he chose a SECOND page to stamp me out of Korea (Why, I don't know. They've never had to stamp me with two seperate stamps when I've left before, but, it is what happened).

Now, I have a return ticket to Korea for about 3 weeks time, and I have only ONE blank passport page left. At the passport office here in Canada, they would not issue me a new passport becuase I still have a blank page left, so it's not considered "FULL." I argued with them (on the phone) and they sent me some declaration forms to claim why I need a new one and said I would "possibly" qualify for a new passport because if the situation.

So I was all set to pay the "urgent" fee of an extra $72, plus the $36 fee for getting a new passport when I don't "really" need it, plus the regular passport fee of $92 Twisted Evil when I realized that my BIRTH CERTIFICATE is in freaking KOREA (didn't think to bring it home with me... Confused ) so the whole thing is out, as the passport office will not budge on that one one bit.

SO, my question, IS -- can I enter into Korea with only ONE blank visa page? I will be entering as a tourist, then getting my blue paper, then dong a visa run. I suppose I wil have to delay that visa run until the passport office in Seoul can process me a new passport there...but how long does that take?
Anyone know -- I'm worried of being denied entry at Incheon, or being denied exit in Ottawa because I don't have room for a new visa stamp.
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean stamps aren't big. Make sure that you watch the immigration officer like a hawk to make sure they don't hit your last page. Same when you go for your run to Japan (especially there). You can get your work visa on that last page. Come back to Korea. Get your ARC. Then go get a new passport. Unless you have a trip planned for within 2 months of coming back to Korea you will be fine.

But watch that immigration officer. That's the only way you'll be in trouble.

I got a new passport in December so when I left Korea there wasn't a single stamp in it and what do you think the officer did? She stamps the observation page. 43 other pages to stamp and she gets the one she's not to stamp.

By the way if you fill your passport really quickly you can get a 48 page one for less than $10 more than a 24. just ask.
andrew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by andrew on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
pet lover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need my birth certificate to get a new passport or pages sewn in? I have NO blank pages left. Embarassed And I have NO CLUE where my birth certificate might be. My parents used to keep it for me, but they've moved from city to city three times since I came to Korea and they don't know what happened to it (and lots of other stuff).
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew wrote:
Can a consulate add extra pages? For US passports, we can have more pages sewn into the passport. They are labeled A, B, C, etc. as opposed to numbered pages and added to the middle of the passport.
Canadians cannot get sewn-in pages. You'll need a new passport. It'll take about 2-3 weeks in Seoul. I believe mine was 2 weeks in December. I had the same situation with the full passport. I checked at least 3 times over an 8 month period and was always told that I could not get pages added.
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pet lover wrote:
Do I need my birth certificate to get a new passport or pages sewn in? I have NO blank pages left. Embarassed And I have NO CLUE where my birth certificate might be. My parents used to keep it for me, but they've moved from city to city three times since I came to Korea and they don't know what happened to it (and lots of other stuff).
The embassy will have forms for you to get a new birth certificate which I believe is necessary. At the embassy in Madrid they even had the forms for a Saskatchewan birth certificate. It wasn't difficult to get. I can't recall the details but I had a new one in less than a month.
meagicano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petlover, which province are you in? Ontario currently (well, as of late January) has an irritating backlog - you're probably looking at six weeks minimum, and that's if it's being shipped in province. The government refuses to budget on the birth certificate thing, so people who had lost theirs and didn't bother to get it replaced are being forced to do it. It's the only acceptable form of ID right now.
pet lover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops....guess I should have mentioned that I'm from Down Under Canada.....
Zed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meagicano wrote:
It's the only acceptable form of ID right now.
Acceptable for what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: