Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Runs ... Other
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K-in-C

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Narita, Japan Visa Run Reply with quote

Hi.

Does anyone know about how long it will take to get the E-2 Visa issuance number once the school gets all the documents?

I have learned that it takes five days to process the visa at the Toronto Korean Consulate. I have found a very good price for the flight but it
leaves August 7th. The flight is approximately 300.00 Canadian dollars cheaper then any others I could find.

I would have a stop over in Narita, Japan. There is no connecting flight to Korea on that day but the airline will provide me witha hotel room, free of charge. Since I would have to stay in Japan overnight, and it only takes one day to process the visa there, maybe I should just stay an extra day and get my visa issued in Japan. What do you recommend?

Always with thanks and appreciation,

K-in-C
classicalmario

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be going in about a month. Please post your experiences.

Thanks.
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sticky needs to be cleaned up and renamed "Visa run: Tokyo," not "other."

I called the Korean Consulate in Tokyo. Visas do take TWO days. Other discussion in the travel forum suggests it might take five days. This is crap information, it is two days. I am getting my info there on Monday morning and getting my visa on Wednesday.
bosintang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone done a visa run to Singapore or KL or any other exotic Asian destination? I'm going to have to do a visa run shortly, and looking to go somewhere a little different, but I don't want the visa part to be *too* much of a hassle. Any reccomendations?
bosintang

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classicalmario wrote:
I will be going in about a month. Please post your experiences.

Thanks.

The OP gave good directions. The only part that confused me is this:

"Cross that road and take a right onto the opposite sidewalk; walk about 200m looking for the Korean consulate on your left."

The 'opposite sidewalk' part confused me and I kept walking up the hill, which was the wrong way. Take a right on the busy street, and cross over to the left side. It's less than 200metres and next door to the Olympia Hotel.

I don't suggest Tokyo if you don't have a lot of time for a few reasons:
- The passport pick-up and drop-off times are inconvienent.
- Narita airport is far from the consulate (it will take at least 2 hours)
- Tokyo is huge, hard to get around, and the subway is very confusing
- Tokyo is very expensive

For visa runs, I found Osaka and Fukuoka are much manageable cities.
jaganath69

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bosintang wrote:
Has anyone done a visa run to Singapore or KL or any other exotic Asian destination? I'm going to have to do a visa run shortly, and looking to go somewhere a little different, but I don't want the visa part to be *too* much of a hassle. Any reccomendations?

I've done one in Jakarta, just took 3 days in which time I buggeured off to Bali with my wife. Small embassy with helpful Indonesian staff.
joeyjoejoe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Has anyone done visa run in CHINA? (Esp QINGDAO?) Reply with quote

Canuckophile wrote:
I realize I'd have to get visa just to go to China, but I think there's a Korean consulate in QINGDAO (home of Tsingdao beer) and it's an overnight ferry ride (quite comfortable; I've done it) from Incheon. And quite decent hotel was just $12 a night.

Has anyone done this? Advice?

Any idea if they take WON? Or Chinese Yuan? Or USD?

Or where Korean consulate might be in Qingdao?

Or if it takes 2 days to get visa issued, etc.?
Any other info you could share?

Thanks...

just did this today, the consulate has moved since the last edition of lonely planet so was a bit of a headache.

i'm staying in a complete dive of a hotel in a hole in front of the train station. next door to tourist info office (who coincidentally are super helpfull and book flights and ferry tickets and anything else you may need) US$4 a night. i have a flight tomorrow to seoul booked through tourist office for US$130 (slightly more than the boat and 14 hours, or so, quicker)

they take chinese yuan only, no credit cards, just cash. cost was 415 yuan (i think roughly US$53)

get someone (tourist office will do it, i got the manager of the hotel where the consulate used to be located to do it for me) to write down "south korean consulate" in chinese characters for you then catch bus 321 from near the train station along the water front and show the note to the driver, he'll tell you when to get off. bus costs 2 yuan and takes about an hour.

i think i must be the first person to ever get a teaching visa from there as they had no idea what i was talking about, couldn't understand that the visa had be approved already or how i still had my passport and didn't have a little receipt slip (or maybe i just did it wrong) but finally after talking to the school that hired me they sorted it out. will be ready 3pm the next day. need one photo.

if you walk around at night be prepared to see mass groups (50-100 people per group) of slow dancing, line dancing, outdoor karaoke and some game that looked like hakkie but with a shuttlecock instead along with tons of people stretching and walking in the middle of the streets. was quite surreal.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note for people browsing this thread:

Visa run information to other destinations like Bangkok, Manila, etc, can also be found in the FAQs.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=20648
and scroll down to the section on visa runs.
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: visa runs to other places Reply with quote

I looked on the other forums. I did not see any information on getting visa's in many countries.

I assume that I will be able to bet a visa in any country I want to visit.

Thank God I am getting a release letter, and I have been able to take a new job.

I am going to go some place. I am sick of Japan. Before I book a ticket I will make sure.

I just hope this will be my last visa run.
md

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: after visa run whats next? Reply with quote

So, I finished my Visa run but am not sure what to do next to complete the processing. Anyone know?

minnow
mlindber

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody done a visa run to Taiwan? Does an American need to get a visa to enter the country? How about a Chinese citizen?
valkerie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Update on directions to Korean consulate in Tokyo Reply with quote

The info here has been really helpful....however, someone mentioned it is next to the Olympia hotel.....this is actually the OLYMPIC INN. (I asked at a convenience store and the name differemce threw them.)

Plus, if you go to Azabu Juban by the Namboku line you need exit 1. At street level go right and cross at the lights to the diagonal corner. The hotel (and consulate) is a little way down from there.

Dropped it off this morning (Wed), pick up Friday afternoon. Be warned that their is a notice saying they WILL NOT accept passports after 12, even if you took a number from the machine before 12. There were 2 desks open today and I waited about 30 minutes (only 1 person ahead of me when I arrived at 11.25).

Be prepared to show the person at the information desk (ground floor) all your documents before you are allowed upstairs.

They are very strict about your photo, it must be 35mm by 45mm. There is a machine in the lobby if you don't have the right size.

My recruiter said to take a copy of passport, but it wasn't needed. If you live in Japan you will need a copy of your ARC. There are copy machines there.
chocolacharat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you need only a tourist visa, do you just go to japan then fly back to korea? im not working but i want to stay in korea longer. do i still need a return ticket out of korea? so confused..
Intrepid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Re Valkerie's post Reply with quote

So did I have the exit wrong, or is there a different exit for the Oedo line? In any case, not the most frequented embassy for Korean visa procurers.
Thanks for the update!
ColininKorea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOW MUCH IS THIS GOING TO COST ME???

I'm going on a visa run to Japan in the middle of September (no set city yet). Boss is making me pay for it because I'll only be working at his school for a few months before heading back to Canada. Anyone know what the approximate cost is (in won) for a visa run? I'm HOPING it's under a mil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: