Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

banking in Kwangju

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rasta man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: banking in Kwangju Reply with quote

For those who live in Kwangju got a question for you. I'm trying to get an ATM (cash card) card to use outside of Korea, according to the person at the Kwangju Bank branch here on campus, Kwangju bank doesn't issue those type of cards. I find that hard to believe since the cash card they issued us have the Visa logo on them but they don't work overseas (tried them in Thailand). Is this true or is more anti-waygok BS?
Mad
Thanks for any help
rasta man
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not BS - the Kwangju Bank told me the same thing. What *is* BS, though, are the bank people who will tell you that such a card is "illegal" for foreigners to have. I went through this last spring.

Here's the solution: Kookmin Bank, now called "KB". They gave me a card in downtown Kwangju that works outside the country. I don't even remember if I asked for a special one or just got the garden-variety card - anyway, it works. And that's my method of sending money back to Canada - my mom has the card and withdraws cash from the grocery store. Works like a charm.

As you've learned, ignore the logos on the back of most Korean cards that claim they'll work with Plus or Cirrus systems. The logos are fantasy.
rasta man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

can't believe Kwangju bank doesn't have a global ATM card they are a major bank at least in the region and they are a part of Woori group which own a bunch of regional banks.

with that said is it possible for foreigners to have more than 1 bank account? if so I'd get one at KB or CHB and get a card from them
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely possible to have accounts at more than one bank. I've got three of them. However, I think I heard that it's only possible to wire money out of the country using only one particular account, and that's the case for everyone, foreign or Korean.

On the other hand, the Kookmin card gets around that restriction quite nicely. Oh- when you use it abroad, remember to hit "savings" instead of "chequing".

And about Kwangju Bank - it may be a major regional bank, but Kwangju is not the most cosmopolitan place, as you mat have noticed. Global ATM cards might be a bit on the exotic side.
knelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to start an account with Citicorp/Citibank or any of the other international banks?
gelynch52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am back in The States after my second trip to Korea. My account at The Korean Exchange Bank is still open and my ATM card worked when I took a trip to Bangkok. The KEB may be the only bank that will do wire transfers to foreign banks. I also had problems trying to get Kookmin Bank, and several others to help me. KEB has branches everywhere & their machines are in English. Jerry Lynch (late of Gumi & Ulsan).
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pusan Bank Card works very well every place I go.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:
Pusan Bank Card works very well every place I go.

Again with the 11 year old necro-posts. ????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: