Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alien registration prob...

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Harvard Material



Joined: 25 Feb 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Alien registration prob... Reply with quote

I am almost 2 months beyond the expiry date of my registration card deadline. I asked the manager to assist me long before the expiry date, but I wasn't given any assistance (or documents), until 2 weeks ago.

The fine for going beyond the 90 day period is 100,000won and I don't want to pay for it. I was going to at first - when I finally did get the documents from the director and spent a Saturday morning on the subway - but was informed when I arrived at Omokyo Immigration office that the owner did not provide me with the 'proper' documents! 'Come back when you have the right stuff.' Shocked After that scenario? HA! I have changed my mind about assuming any responsibility for this 100,000won fine.

I wasted my time, and tried to avoid all of this in the first place. I have the documents from my hakwon dated, over a month late. I also have a second document (written, signed and dated by the director), which the director claims that this is entirely my fault, that I did not ever ask for assistance to get my alien registration card, and that the paperwork information they have to provide for my registration card is my responsibility to request. I did request it...repeatedly for about 2 months before the deadline date until 2 weeks ago. It simply went nowhere.

I also specified before I signed my contract that I wanted health insurance - as stated in my contract. The owner accused me, on this second document (answer #2), of actually requesting the opposite; that I in fact requested no health insurance policy/deductions, and that is why I don't have any. It's an outright lie! She has also refused to arrange any health insurance for me after documenting and dating the request.

Income tax? That's also in this second document; question #1. We are paying 2.5%, but she is deducting 5.8% total...in case there are any errors in accounting. And we will get any overpayment at the end of our tenure. The last two foreign teachers never got it back.
I originally thought 108,00 a month was for both tax and health insurance deductions, but I was never given my health insurance card. When I asked for my insurance card I found out I didn't have one. Then I asked about our tax rate, and the owner demanded I submit my questions in document form. No more discussion. Then I asked about pension and was told to get out of her office and put all of this in writing, which I submitted and received her pathetique reply four days later from a co-worker. The owner never answered a single question...

...8 of my questions resulted in 8 of her insults. Question #3 was why did an illegal teacher have to pay 5.8% tax when it can't be submitted to Korean taxation without someone realising that there is an illegal teacher at this hakwon? Answer #3 was "Mind your own business." Too bad she put it in writing. Korean taxation is a lot more interested in it than the owner appears to be.

It is too simple to say "No. He never said that." "No. He never asked us for that." "No. That's not what we said." That can work for a while I guess, but it get's old fast.
Now I get snubbed at work daily from won-jang-nim, still don't have any health insurance, pension deductions, pay the same 5.8% tax deduction AND have to fork out an additional 100,000won for her failure to photocopy a few documents for me in a three month period?

What is the easiest way, if there is an easy way, to get this lovely owner to pay for the fine? I did what I could do to get my card. If it was my fault I wouldn't be posting this question, nor would I object to accepting pesponsibility for the fine. I don't have my registration card because of the owner's refusal to acknowledge my need for this ID card, or any attempt to provide me with the required documents until 2 weeks ago.

Who do I contact to straighten this out? I've tried to discuss these topics peacefully at the table and it didn't achieve anything. I've submitted written documents as requested, to no avail. I teach five days a week. I go to work, teach and go home. I feel I am physically living up to my expectations to/at the institute. The director has refused everything to do with this matter, and every other matter that I feel is unaceptable, so discussing it any further directly with her is little more than a joke.

Korean taxation will solve the tax problems. Who can assist me with the registration card scenario problem?

Could use some advice...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
The Great Wall of Whiner



Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Location: Middle Land

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only tell you what I would do, not what I think you should do.


Harvard Material wrote:

Quote:
I am almost 2 months beyond the expiry date of my registration card deadline. I asked the manager to assist me long before the expiry date, but I wasn't given any assistance (or documents), until 2 weeks ago.


That was naughty of your manager, and this should be pointed out to him/her.

Quote:
The fine for going beyond the 90 day period is 100,000won and I don't want to pay for it.


Well you should not have to if your manager did not help you. Again, point this out to him/her.

Quote:
I was going to at first - when I finally did get the documents from the director and spent a Saturday morning on the subway - but was informed when I arrived at Omokyo Immigration office that the owner did not provide me with the 'proper' documents! 'Come back when you have the right stuff.' After that scenario? HA! I have changed my mind about assuming any responsibility for this 100,000won fine.


O.K. well obviously your manager does not know what the heck he/she is doing and if I were you, I would seriously do something about it instead of waiting and waiting....


Quote:
I also specified before I signed my contract that I wanted health insurance - as stated in my contract. The owner accused me, on this second document (answer #2), of actually requesting the opposite; that I in fact requested no health insurance policy/deductions, and that is why I don't have any. It's an outright lie! She has also refused to arrange any health insurance for me after documenting and dating the request.


It is against the law (read again, against the law for you not to have your health insurance. By law, your school must pay 50% of the health insurance payments. Again, it is the law.

Point this out to her, and find out her reaction.

Quote:
Income tax? That's also in this second document; question #1. We are paying 2.5%, but she is deducting 5.8% total...in case there are any errors in accounting. And we will get any overpayment at the end of our tenure. The last two foreign teachers never got it back.


I would insist on the proper amount being deducted and getting what extra you payed already back ASAP.

Let me put this another way: If the last two teachers never got it back, what makes you so sure you will get it back?

Did you have a recruiter? If so, contact your recruiter and tell them what is going on...one good thing about recruiters is that they have a reputation to maintain.

Quote:
I originally thought 108,00 a month was for both tax and health insurance deductions, but I was never given my health insurance card. When I asked for my insurance card I found out I didn't have one. Then I asked about our tax rate, and the owner demanded I submit my questions in document form. No more discussion. Then I asked about pension and was told to get out of her office and put all of this in writing, which I submitted and received her pathetique reply four days later from a co-worker. The owner never answered a single question...


Sounds like big trouble.

Quote:
...8 of my questions resulted in 8 of her insults. Question #3 was why did an illegal teacher have to pay 5.8% tax when it can't be submitted to Korean taxation without someone realising that there is an illegal teacher at this hakwon?


Well, then ask her why you are paying any tax at all!!!! Tell her if you are an "illegal teacher", then you should not be paying any tax what-so-ever, so please and thank-you give me my whole 5.8% back for every month I worked.


Quote:
Answer #3 was "Mind your own business." Too bad she put it in writing. Korean taxation is a lot more interested in it than the owner appears to be.


Tell her "It is my business! This involves me!"

Quote:
What is the easiest way, if there is an easy way, to get this lovely owner to pay for the fine?


The easiest way is to play hard-ball.

Write on a piece of paper that your boss is breaking the law, and that if she does not want to be reported, she must comply.

Also, tell her that if she insists on treating you unfairly, you will let other English teachers know how she treats people, breaks promises, does not follow the letter of the law, etc. This will make it a lot more difficult to find a new teacher in the future.

Every time I have had a problem, I ask them if they ever heard of Dave's Esl Cafe.

Within 2 days or so, things seem to work themselves out.

The last thing a school needs is losing a teacher and not being able to replace him or her because to many people have said bad things about their hogwon.

Anyway, all the best and good luck.!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harvard Material



Joined: 25 Feb 2003
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Registration card... Reply with quote

Hey; thanks Whiner! I should clear a couple ambiguous points. The illegal teacher wasn't me. It was a co-worker. Waited almost two full months for her trip to Japan for the E-2 stamp, but taught the whole time. 160,000won in tax for two months with no visa? I'll find out if the owner actually paid it to taxation or not when I meet with a taxation official on Saturday morning.

It does involve me, however, because this person is a good woman and my co-worker. If a boss treats one person poorly, we all get treated poorly.

The manager at the time these events took place has resigned. Doesn't matter to me much though, as these problems are/were occurring all along.

I did originally use a recruiter, but when the hakwon realised I was going to accept the position anyway the recruiter was sent packing - with no recruiting fee! Poor woman. Landed a job for me, and got screwed out of 1 million won. I agreed to give her half of the amount, because I did appreciate her service and she did secure a position for me. I would like to help her get paid the full amount, but it is going to be difficult.
The manager and director claimed that the agency didn't provide any material for the E-2 visa process, and other material that was apparently the recruiter's responsibility. Lame. "Sure. Bring him over for an interview." "Thanks. We aren't using you to hire him. Bye-bye."

At the time I needed the position, and I felt I couldn't do anything to help her out, except give her money myself. The owner and manager refused to pay her because they weren't happy with the service she provided, and claimed the recruiter didn't fulfill her responsibilities to the institute. Well; I feel the hakwon is very guilty of not fulfilling it's responsibilities to me as an employee, my co-worker's, and at this point I am not at all happy with the owner's services.

It is just another example of the conduct at this location. I was already here in Seoul, so there was no airfare cost for the institute to pay for. They didn't pay the recruiting fee for an agency that located the teacher for them. That's over 2 million right there. I don't have a secured flight out of here, and the chances of being released prematurely are very high. They would save the cost of my flight out, plus severance payment, so all in all it could profit the owner over 5 million won. It's a crime.

The recruiter was present when I insisted on the health insurance clause, and I am having difficulty locating her now. She was there during two interviews, and knows I insisted on health insurance. A co-worker at a former institute had a serious physical problem, and he didn't have health insurance. Some of us did, some of us didn't. He didn't, nor did I. It cost him over 7 million won to be released from the hospital and he was released from his position at the hakwon two days after getting out of the hospital. I didn't want that situation happening to me, and I figure it is worth a mere 30,000won a month. Better safe, you know? I explained it in great detail before signing the contract, and was assured I would get the coverage. Low and behold. Now they say I insisted not to have it?

I said I want the health insurance and the answer now is no. She knows her obligations, but ignores them. I explained the alien registration bit and she has refused to pay for the fine, or claim any responsibility for having at least an equal share in the lateness of the situation. I also stated I want my tax overpayment back, as well as the former teachers who overpaid, and it is still being deducted from us at the same rate! She doesn't care, and she doesn't want to resolve anything that will cost her anything.

I've tried to deal with it rationally, but all efforts have failed. Luckilly, I was on the ball enough to get it in writing. I'll post again after I meet with the taxation official...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
The Great Wall of Whiner



Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Location: Middle Land

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvard Material wrote:

Quote:
160,000won in tax for two months with no visa? I'll find out if the owner actually paid it to taxation or not when I meet with a taxation official on Saturday morning.


I would bet no...

Quote:
It does involve me, however, because this person is a good woman and my co-worker. If a boss treats one person poorly, we all get treated poorly.


Yes. Agreed. It shows that the boss is capable of being unfair and capable of mistreating employees.


Quote:
I did originally use a recruiter, but when the hakwon realised I was going to accept the position anyway the recruiter was sent packing - with no recruiting fee! Poor woman. Landed a job for me, and got screwed out of 1 million won.


Sounds like one more thing your boss has done to screw people to please him/herself and demonstrates a complete lack of character.

Put it another way: I doubt your boss will be given angel wings when he/she dies....


Quote:
The owner and manager refused to pay her because they weren't happy with the service she provided, and claimed the recruiter didn't fulfill her responsibilities to the institute.


Actually they probably felt they could save some money and looks like they got away with it. Think of if this way: your boss did get the ultimate goal, which was a white-faced teacher. They should have paid at least something. It shows a complete lack of honour on their part.

My recruiter happens to be someone I consider a friend. And if my school was going to jip her, I'd be like: "O.K., sorry. Don't wanna work here.". But I assume you didn't have that kind of relationship with your recruiter as I do.


Quote:
Well; I feel the hakwon is very guilty of not fulfilling it's responsibilities to me as an employee, my co-worker's, and at this point I am not at all happy with the owner's services.


You should really stress that to them their hypocracy in this regard.




Quote:
I said I want the health insurance and the answer now is no.


Tell her it is against the law. I'm serious. This will jolt her a bit.

Quote:
Luckilly, I was on the ball enough to get it in writing. I'll post again after I meet with the taxation official...


Very lucky indeed. I would love to talk to your boss and tell her what her obligations under the LAW are.

In any regard, good luck in your meeting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International