Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sending money home... and other stuff...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratslash

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: sending money home... and other stuff... Reply with quote

first of all, i don't know where i am meant to post this thread. i guess someone will move it if it is the wrong place. so, sorry if it is the wrong place.

i'm pretty new to korea, 3 months, and i am working here completely illegal. i fell in love with a korean woman in auckland and decided to chase her out here. i don't have a diploma/degree, but i have managed to find enough work for me to survive and even save a little. it has been a hard 3 months, but it is worth it to be with her.

sometimes it winds me up/annoys me when i read posts about people complaining about there hagwon/employer asking them to empty a bin or brush out their classroom. you don't know how lucky you are. but i digress. it was my choice to come out here without the proper qualifications and i have to face the hardship of travelling out to bundang (2 hours from central seoul to teach for 2 hours) and then back again every tuesday. sometimes i feel like giving it all up and going back to my cushy job in auckland, but then i remember the girl that i love more than life itself is here and life just seems a little bit brighter when i think of her.

can someone please tell me the best way to send money home that i have managed to scrape and save? i do have a korean bank account but i am worried about the bank stamping my passport. do the banks stamp your passport? i don't think immigration will be impressed when i arrive after a visa run and they see stamps on my passport that say i have been sending money home. i only get 3 months too being english, which is a nuisance. but nevermind. it is all worth it though, so long as i am with her. that's what i keep on telling myself anyway.....

later people

the good will come out.....
The Lemon

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the woman's still in your life, you can get her to send the money, cutting out the passport stamp issue.

You could deposit it into your account, and ask for an elusive "international card". Do a search on ATM cards or International cards using the search function on this board for details on these. Some banks give them out, some deny they exist, and still others claim it's illegal for foreigners to hold them. Personally, I think the bank people you talk to make up a lot of answers because they hate to say "I don't know", or ask the right people.

Barring that, you could exchange the money into US dollars with the old lady moneychangers that hang around Namdaemun Market.

Or, you could just bring out Korean won. It's now convertable outside the country. This wasn't the case 5 years ago. Many airport exchange booths worldwide will trade Korean notes.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:

Barring that, you could exchange the money into US dollars with the old lady moneychangers that hang around Namdaemun Market.

They are also in a little alley behind the main post office in MyoungDong
ratslash

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea about asking my girlfriend!!! thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: