Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tax Fraud Victim?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdowd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Tax Fraud Victim? Reply with quote

This is my first posting, so be gentle. I have done a seach to find info but did not come up with a solution. The EFL law forum - e-mail us? is all in Korean.

Here are the facts and just the facts ma'am. I'm Canadian and being a law abiding citizen (and wishing to claim non-residency), I needed to fax info to Canada to file taxes by April 30th. I asked my employere for a Korean Tax statement around March 15th - "no problem", he says.

On my end of March pay I have no tax deducted. I, always the honest and law-abiding citizen, inform my employer of this error. After 2 days, he says that he did not deduct taxes because I (note, I) have over paid.

Then after many weeks(today), I get a statement prepared by his CPA = all in Korean, of course - not the KT office statement as requested. It sates that as of Dec 31, 2002, I have overpaid taxes still outstanding to the tune of 474,740 won. I should be happy that I will not have to pay taxes for April through June (I extended my contract 2 months so I have some time to deal with this). I should mention that I did pay taxes for January and February 2003 - before I asked for an accounting 70,000W to that number.

Now, here is the kicker. He says that he does not refund this overpayment - but why, he made the error? Since I am thinking of coming back in the fall, this outstanding credit will mean that my new employer will not deduct taxes until the outstanding credit is elimated. Why? Because the Korean Government does not refund overpayments! (Really, I'm thinking!)

Alright, what if I don't come back to Korea in the fall, in 2003 or ever - where does this leave me? And why would a government not have to repay an over payment?

Maybe this addtional info will help. I understand (heard thru the grapevine) that this happened to the teacher I replaced - he had worked for 18 months - and he was paid in cash by the director for the overpayment to the tune of almost 1M won.

This director I thought had been upfront and the circumstances at the school have been better than many other I've read about. NoW this in the 11th month. Plus I get the feeling that the payment to the other teacher was made because he was a man and I, female that I am, should accept graciously his explanation. However, before I returned to school to be a teacher I worked in accounting for a major oil firm in Canada for 13 years (2 years in audit) finding other peoples' mistakes. I also have an inquiring mind and this inquiring mind would like to know where to go next from anyone who has been there.

PS: I do have a Korean friend, a former teacher at the school, who has said she would help me in any way she could? Is it time to bring her on board as I know this could really eat up time and she has just started a new business?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Victim of Tax Fraud?
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be curious to know if this was a genuine mistake or if the director regularly deducts too much tax and pockets it for himself? It is suspicious that he has not provided you with the proper tax forms as per your request.

I'd pursue this in whatever way you can. Your director owes you some money whatever way you look at it.
Harvard Material

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: VDOWD tax fraud Reply with quote

Me too. My boss is charging almost triple tax rate and has refused to correct it, or pay me/us the difference before I/we leave. She is breaking a law, and so is your boss.
I have an appointment with Korean taxation this week. They seem to be taking it a lot more seriously than the director has thus far.

If you want, e-mail me, or pm me, and give me some specific info. I will be explaining a few cases concerning the taxation practices of several hakwons. It isn't a problem to have another case or two...it's not putting me out! After the appointment I can contact you, or I can put you in contact with this person at Korean Taxation if you would rather deal with it on your own.

Your choice. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: