Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Bars - Anyang and Area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BTM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Good Bars - Anyang and Area Reply with quote

Any folks (Glen, I'm looking at you) down Anyang/Geumjung/Gunpo/Sanbon/Suwon way out on Line #1 know of good, western-style drinking holes? You know, a bar to sit at, a bartender that might actually understand that you want coke mixed directly in with that whiskey, reasonable music, etc...

There's Rock SShin in Anyang, which isn't too bad, and even has live bands sometimes (one of which was pretty darn good, for a cover band), near the Outlet 2000 department store (or whatever it's called). I've also been to one called the Hollywood, not far from there, but they had (a) clueless bar people (b) crap music (c) that coffee-lounge ambiance I so despise...

Any other good 'uns? I'm thirsty, damn it! Wink

(Edit : Advice on great bars anywhere in Seoul, if you know 'em, wouldn't go astray either!)
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send a PM to Shim Shim. He stayed in Anyang for a year.

I know there are some cool places out that way, as I would go to visit my friend quite frequently.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned Suwon, BTM. Ajudae area has a lot of nice stuff to do, but drinking isn't one of them.

However, if you'd like a nice, expensive import beer, there is a bar called Yak'uk in the Ajudae area. Even if that's not your cup o' tea(bar's kinda quiet), I'm usually up in the Suwon area on the weekends, so, yea. Send me a PM, we could have a few drinks or something, and hate the shoddy bartenders together.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTM ~

I can throw 3-4 for you here in San-bon: Wild Bill's No. 10, Wa Bar, a downstairs bar owned by some Korean biker-types, and a gem of a place called M2M, where I caught some World Cup games last year.

In Geum-jung area of An-yang, there is a great little bar called the Jazz Club. Strike that - it just changed names (but not anything else) - I'll get the new name for you. Very close to the station, though.

Goon-po I can't say as I really know anyplace.

For the rest of Seoul, pick an area - I know my bars. Or, drop the Gang-ahsa-geee a PM.

Glen

(PS ~ sorry again about missing the PM. If you want some Tokyo bar reccs, though, I can hook you up!!!)
BTM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and gajackson comes through! W00t! Thanks, man.

I'd love to know the new name of that Jazz place in Anyang...do they actually play jazz?

Zyzypher : next time the wife lets me out, maybe we can have a few together...
gajackson1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ok, . . . .

Ummm, the jazz Bar has now changed to IVOSS; the name has NO meaning that I can fathom.lol. It is close to Geum-jung yuk; the phone # is 397-6616. It is across the street from a swanky little love motel, and close to a Wa Bar, Beer Cabin, and a bunch of restaurants. Yes, they do play live music, and you can have pretty free run of the CD's; sometimes they show DVD movies, as well. Owner is a great guy with good English, & a lot of imports in the ice bar.

Shin-chon, huh??? Not interested in Hong-dae or E-dae? Ok. Hmmm. A LOT of places i know of in that area; just depends on what you are looking for. Twisted Evil Solid standbys run towards Woodstock, Peoples bar, the Doors, etc. You can also do a search here in the forum for Free Crocodile directions - although not one of my top choices, staff was still nice there.

Personally, I like Louis Armstrong bar (in the building to the right of Dunkin Donuts, 7th floor - nice views out over the area). There is also a cool basement dance bar closer to the main gate, on the opposite side of the street, called Batman. It's close to the big arcade, before the overpass. Solid dj's, usually, & a laid back, dance oriented party crowd.

Regards,

G.

Hong-dae, Hye-hwa, Shin-chon, E-dae, Ap-ku, Gang-nam

Let me think about this one (Shin'chon bars), & I'll edit it a little later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: