Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do Gyopos like Korea?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lpcool

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: How do Gyopos like Korea? Reply with quote

How do gypos (spell? anyway Korean-Americans, Korean-Canadians, Korean-some-foreign-country) like Korea?

I had some specific questions but they didn't seem to be answered... So I'm reposting this message -

1. What made you want to come to Korea? "Finding your roots"?
2. What were your impressions before you came to Korea? For instance, did you think that you'd be welcomed with open arms because you're going to the land of "your people"?
3. What are your impressions now?
4. I've heard horror stories about how gyopos get paid less because they're "Korean" and endure other discriminations. What do you make of it?

BTW this question isn't restricted to gyopos only - if you know of someone who could answer these questions, please feel free to speak on their behalf.

Thanks...

Last edited by lpcool on Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
kricket

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyopos that are serious about teaching and have bilingual ability can make a decent living in Korea... but many of the kyopos I've met have been just the opposite... i.e. bad attitudes, don't take teaching seriously, can't speak a lick of Korean... then they start complaining that Korea is unfair.... well, Korea is unfair..as is the USA, Canada, and every other nation on this planet...

I recommend that kyopos understand this and make the most of the situation... find you're niche, refine your skills, and take teaching seriously...if you do these things you should have no problems making a decent living in Korea...

it's really up to you...

the "kricket"
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i met a korean-canadian girl on the flight from vancouver to korea. she hadn't been to korea for 10 years. she wasn't too fussy on the place. you should have seen the looks she got when she lit up a smoke outside the airport! it was great.
kricket

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard Roark wrote:
i met a korean-canadian girl on the flight from vancouver to korea. she hadn't been to korea for 10 years. she wasn't too fussy on the place. you should have seen the looks she got when she lit up a smoke outside the airport! it was great.

maybe it wasn't her actual smoking, but the way she carried herself as she smoked....the "I am dang kyopo and I'm a cool rebel against Korean culture..." attitute always accentuated with the pout and blow smoke in your face... I've seen plenty of Korean women smoking at many places in Korea and no seemed to care....

Or maybe it's you and the exagerated way you want to see things that just aren't there...
Dan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

women and smoking:
it is illegal for women to smoke outdoors in korea.
kricket

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
women and smoking:
it is illegal for women to smoke outdoors in korea.

Dan,

Are you white on the outside as well?
Dan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't get it. am i white on the inside?
cheem

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kricket wrote:
but many of the kyopos I've met have been just the opposite... i.e. bad attitudes, don't take teaching seriously, can't speak a lick of Korean... then they start complaining that Korea is unfair....

If we're going to generalize here, I'm sure the same could be said for a lot of foreign teachers in Korea in general.
kricket

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheem wrote:
kricket wrote:
but many of the kyopos I've met have been just the opposite... i.e. bad attitudes, don't take teaching seriously, can't speak a lick of Korean... then they start complaining that Korea is unfair....

If we're going to generalize here, I'm sure the same could be said for a lot of foreign teachers in Korea in general.

How is this a generalization? I said the above was based on kyopos I've met here PERSONALLY....

Let's get the facts straight...
cheem

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be the case, but as a kyopo I found your first post incredibly patronizing. If only I had the audacity to dispense such worldly advice to the non-kyopo foreigners on this board.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some kyopo perspectives from former participants of the ETA program.
http://www.fulbright.or.kr/eta/english/eta-perspectivs.html

I think everyone has a different experience and different reasons for coming here. Most of the kyopos that I've met have enjoyed their time here, but have faced difficulties often relating to Korean people's tendency to consider them Korean even though they considered themselves American.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having met alot of kyopos in korea.. it seems each one has extremely different experiences.. some adapt extremely quickly and have a great time.. others find themselves much to familiar with the ways of home and don't like it.. really hard to say.. some can't wait to leave and others never want to leave.. really hard to say.. in general, probably not all that different from the other non-gyopo foreigners who come here..
Medic

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: How do Gyopos like Korea? Reply with quote

I'd say that many Koreans would see one of their own not being able to speak Korean as a dissapointment. Then maybe not. I know students in schools don't respect English teachers who can speak English unless they can do it well. I guess this is along the same lines as the treatment Gyopo's can sometmes get.
Yaya

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nine years in Korea were made easier by my avoidance of gyopos in general. The hands-down WORST of the bunch are gyopos from the LA area.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
My nine years in Korea were made easier by my avoidance of gyopos in general. The hands-down WORST of the bunch are gyopos from the LA area.

Just curious, are you gyopo?

Interesting about L.A. gyopos.. as the ones I've met seemed to kind of mimic gangster, ghetto, and thuggish behaviors.. of all things to mimic..

Gyopos from everywhere else were pretty cool though.. I quite like meeting them in Korea.. but I did notice a handful of the L.A. gyopos being of a completely different breed.. (at least the ones I met from L.A.).. not sure if others can confirm/deny this.. as it would be nice to proven wrong.. but since you mentioned it.. and two of us basically with the same experiences.. kind of interesting..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: