Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Benefits of a MA TESOL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TECO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: M.A. Opens Doors Reply with quote

If any of you ever want to work in a university in Japan or Taiwan or even in the Middle East, you'll need a graduate degree.

An M.A. will open doors for those who want to teach EFL at institutions of higher learning all over the World.

Taiwan's Ministr of Education will NOT recognize distance degrees.

Japan and the Middle East will.

Korean universities will also hire people with distance degrees.

Unfortunately, the M.A. won't dramatically change you as a person or an EFL'er.

But you will have access to opportunities in various countries that you would not have had you not earned an M.A. in Applied Linguistics or TESOL.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TECO have you done one? I find good stuff in the readings all the time ...
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: M.A. Opens Doors Reply with quote

TECO wrote:

and how do they know it is by distance?
TECO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing a distance M.A. in Applied Linguistics through USQ.

I already have 5 years experience teaching EFL in Korea, Japan and Taiwan.

So, I'm not really finding it that useful.

More of a pain in the ass, actually.

The MOE here will want to see your passport and check to see if you were ever even stamped with a student visa for the country you studied in. If you are a citizen in that country, they'll likely check to see if you were residing in your home country at the time you were pursuing your degree.

As well, the Taiwanese government will contact, in my case, the Australian government and verify that I was issued a student visa to study in Australia.

They will also ask immigration and the university if I had completed at least 8 months residence/on-campus study in Australia.

I called the MOE and had a long talk with the woman in charge there.

They are unbelievably fussy and technical about the whole thing.

First you apply to a university.
Then the unversity here will send your documents to the MOE.
They do a little mini investigation like call your school, immigration in the country you studied and have you swear an affidavit.

After the MOE approves your documents, they will issue you a Certificate of Lectureship.

Taiwan, from what I've seen, is the most strict among countries in this region regarding EFL teaching in univesities - both private and national.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Makes me wonder... Reply with quote

Makes me wonder if Taiwan's method for determining educational background will catch on with other countries...

Wouldn't that be a hoot for those who've already/in the process of obtained their advanced degrees through distance learning.

Looks like (after more talks with those with PhDs) I'll be heading back to the US to finish up my MA Ap.Lin and get certified (I hate that exam!).

I still stand by what I said earlier, in that, distance education is lacking - compared to traditional-style courses. I just don't think I got my money's worth doing my bit of DL, so will finish the degree (well, have to) on campus.

Bugger!

Shoosh,

Ryst Rolling Eyes
Anda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

I'll go with distance anyday of the week. I sat myself in Uni accommodation where I had access to the professors marking the course. I also had full access to the universities library. My thinking is that you learn by self study but you need access to material (library) and sounding boards (professors etc).
JMILTON

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the issue is what it offers you academically as well as career wise. The MA TESOL is more suited for those who want a career in academic directorship. Those who desire developing curriculum, training teachers and the like will do well with a MATESOL. For those whom just want to apply there skills as a teacher degrees in linguistics and TESOL don't necessarily translate to classroom skills. All education is valuable, but make sure that you are getting more than a paper degree.

I too am worried about becoming obsolete or overlooked because I don't have the degree of choice. But, if one ventures to obtain a degree in TESOL or the like what is to say that it won't be considered obsolete in 5 years. The field is constantly changing and the trends shift.

I have known other teachers that work for departments outside of the Language departments. I have a friend that teaches English but for the Business department. Those with MBA's do well also.

For me it is a commitment issue. Do I want to spend 2 years of my time and a considerable amount of money for a degree with limited application. I have a Masters in an outside field but a few years EFL teaching experience and I am never without career options here. Instead of getting another MA, I simply study and learn on my own. I get a list of the books that some of these programs are teaching and I just study them on my own. I think that the knowledge is more important than the degree. The degree only opens the door, but if your program didn't really prepare you then the door closes quickly behind you.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Again, I can't believe this...I still agree with Anda...the sky must be falling!

I enrolled in a state university program where all the students in my group were seasoned teachers (most were taking the same courses to satiate the ESOL endorsement standards), so I did have some sounding boards through them and my professor and assoc. pro....however, still lacked A LOT in quality. Intercourse wise, that is. No pun.

Our course had mandatory meetings once a month, that I obviously was exempt from, but was able to get in through live feeds...yeah, 'live'. Hard to answer a question with seconds of delay, other conversations would have started by the time I put my thoughts in.

Another problem, lack of RESPECTABLE libraries, you know, the kind of libraries that actually HAVE books...in Korea.

Yea, think I'll enjoy actually being in a classroom where we can discuss issues much more freely.

Shoosh,

Ryst
inkorea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Get a TRADE!!!! Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Seriously,

I know thousands of people who went back to vocational school and are now laughing. My brother in law makes over $50 000 a year as a pipe fitter. He's laughing now.
How many ESL jobs, especially in Korea pay over $50 000 US? HUH? How many? Not many huh? Look at the job wanted boards, how many offer salaries over $50 000? To add to that, my brother in law doesn't find the job too difficult.
Another example, a guy I worked with is getting his air condition trade. He did a summer term at a beer plant. A buddy of his who has been working for 15 years is getting $1800 a week. After taxes, $1200 a week! Not bad. He does overtime for extra money. The cost of living is fairly low in that city, to boot!
Another example is a construction guy, and he's making more in a week around Boston than what we make in a month, no kidding. It's very easy to make the big bucks, if you are not afraid of a little work.
IT is another example, when there's a market boom. A friend of mine did a 1 year IT dip. from AIT and now, he's making over $100 000 US a year.

Guys, if you're in teaching for the prosperity and the money get out now! Very few people will make a lot of money in teaching.

Seriously, if a career and a future is what you want with big money, get a trade. The work is NOT that difficult, as teaching noisy children can be just as tiring. As a tradesman, at least you get to work with normal, salt of the earth, grown-ups! Not saying all teachers aren't grown ups!

GET A TRADE! IT'S WORTH THE MONEY AND TIME! Very Happy Very Happy
em

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of applicable skills, how much of a difference is there between an MA TEOSL and CELTA?? I already have a Masters in English and am just looking to gain classroom skills AND enhance my credentials, especially in my own country, to which I will one day return - Canada.

Also, could someone explain "applied linguistics"? It's a field that I Embarassed have not encountered before and it sounds interesting.
TECO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Um Reply with quote

Anda wrote:
...My thinking is that you learn by self study but you need access to material (library) and sounding boards (professors etc).

Anda, I totally agree with you.

Come on, I can't imagine a more IDEAL SITUATION!!!

Teaching EFL while earning and M.A. in TESOL or Applied Linguistics.

Those who believe othewise have their heads in the sand.

Teaching and earning one of these relevant degrees is an ideal set up where practice meets theory.
TECO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, MA TESOL and MA App. Lin. are the same in most cases.

You can even say that an MA Education is the same.

At least where I study at USQ they are.

In fact you can choose which degree you want an all consist of mainly the same courses.

Interesting, eh?

Applied Linguistics is a little difficult to define because it is so eclectic. It draws from traditional linguistics, psycology, sociology and education.

For the practioner, the EFL instructor like you, Applied Linguistics will help you become a better EFL teacher.

App. Lin. deals with language teaching, first and second language acquisition, language and technology, cirriculum development, lesson planning, language and culture, literacy and literacy problems, learner styles, learning techniques, language inequality, etc, .

Applied linguistics is a broad field and is more geared towards solving problems. It's problem solving oriented approach vs the theory driven.
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: MA Lin VS MA App. Lin Reply with quote

Em,

Ok, this is essentially the difference between an MA in Linguistics VS an MA in Applied Linguistics or MA in TESOL.

At my univ. the difference is the path that you'll take after completion of the degree.

The MA in Lin. is a thesis track...for those persuing PH.Ds in a related field and will (most likely) be in academics (professing or data yaddy ya).

The MA in Applied Lin. (TESL) hasn't a thesis, instead, uses portfolios and exams as gauges, as well as offering certification (State ESOL endorsement) - I think the previous degree does as well...

An MA in TESOL at another univ. by mine is essentially Applied Linguistics, as the courses are the same needed to satiate State requirements.

I am not sure if these guidelines are the same throughout the tertiary education system, however, I wouldn't think they be all-that-different from country to country.

Shoosh,

Ryst
General

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: M.A. Opens Doors Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
TECO wrote:

and how do they know it is by distance?

it's usually indicated on the transcripts or student record. a good university or company, will also do a verification run up on your credentials, check with the university from which you earned your ma and find out from them whether its distance or not.

i agree that if you're in it for the long run, it's wise to have one or be doing one at a reputable university.
TECO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: M.A. Opens Doors Reply with quote

General wrote:
...it's usually indicated on the transcripts or student record.

General:
The University of Southern Queensland does not indicate on either the transcripts or the degree if courses were completed through distance format.

They make no mention of this whatsoever.

TECO may call the University and verify attendance and that's about it.

I can say that TECO calls the school.

They will also check immigration records in the country that you studied along with requesting photocopies of your passport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: