Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TV viewing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flakfizer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: TV viewing Reply with quote

Study Finds Japanese Watch Most TV

Tue Apr 12, 4:08 AM ET Entertainment - Reuters TV

By Peter Kiefer

CANNES, France (Hollywood Reporter) - The average level of television consumption increased on nearly every continent last year, but a new study has found that Japanese viewers watch more TV than anybody.

The newly released report from Eurodata TV Worldwide, the focus of a panel discussion at the MIPTV convention in Cannes, also found Americans' daily dose of TV climbed by three minutes last year to an average of four hours and 28 minutes -- nearly 90 minutes above the world average.

The Japanese watched the most television last year, clocking in a daily average of five hours.

Americans were second, followed by Argentinians and the Greeks, who consumed four hours and 25 minutes and four hours and four minutes, respectively.

At 2 1/2 hours daily each, China and Sweden watched the least amount of television last year.

Even though dramas accounted for 46 percent of viewers' time overall, and made a comeback stateside, American fiction failed to dominate outside of the domestic marketplace as it has in years past.

However, shows such as "Friends," "CSI" and "ER" maintained popularity in many regions. American blockbusters continued their international appeal, with "Shrek" and "Titanic" sticking out, the report said.

The spike in various countries' consumption was due in large part to a blend of both news and sporting events, including the Iraq war, the U.S. presidential election, the Athens Olympics, the European Football Championships and the qualifying matches for the 2006 World Cup.

The MIP conference heard that the Eurodata document reveals that 46 percent of viewing time was dedicated to drama, 36 percent to other entertainment categories (talk, comedy, and variety shows) and 18 percent to news.

Additionally, in terms of new formats, NBC's "The Apprentice" appeared to have found the most purchase globally. A total of 2,300 new programs were launched in nine countries last year.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

I think that the popularity of computer games is what kept Korea from being number one. Small shop owners and "security guards" must watch 16 hours a day. It's a bit surprising to see that even in the countries with the lowest averages, people still average 2 1/2 hours a day.
keithinkorea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 and a half hours a day is shocking and Japanese folks and Americans should be ashamed of themselves. I rarely watch television, it is generally mind numbing crap. There are a few good shows (I loved the office) out there but a lot of TV is really not worth watching.

I'd rather surf the net or read a book, drink beer with friends and play my guitar, write some music, go for a walk, play some pool than watch TV.

I only really watch a little TV and it's generally to try and learn a little Korean, either that or the news or if there is a good film on which is a rarity in Korea. The only other time is if there is an important football match on, such as a big European match or a world cup qualifier.

My TV only really gets used when my GF comes over as she's a sucker for those Korean detective reality shows and a few of the daft dramas they have over here.

TV sucks.
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit.

Last edited by R. S. Refugee on Tue May 17, 2005 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
stumptown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to imagine that anyone watches more TV than Koreans. In every place that I go to, there's a TV and someone watching it. The dry cleaners, the gimbap place, the subway, the KTF phone center, the bus station, I mean you name it. Pretty much in Korea, everywhere you go there's some sort of TV broadcast. In my new apt, theres a little flat screen next to the elevator, as if waiting those 10 seconds for the elevator to come down a few floors was so grueling.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how the Japanese would have to watch a lot of TV. To do anything in that country is so damn expensive.. its one of the few non-costly things you can do in that country.
guangho

Location: a spot full of deception, stupidity, and public micturation and thus unfit for longterm residency

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched television in 6 months...
animalbirdfish

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does anyone find enough time to watch 2+ hours of television a day? That takes a dedication I can't imagine.
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TV viewing Reply with quote

flakfizer wrote:

... It's a bit surprising to see that even in the countries with the lowest averages, people still average 2 1/2 hours a day.

I probably averaged 2 1/2 hours a day until I discovered this discussion board. Now, I haven't watched any in over 6 months!!!
That may be a lifetime first.

I'm fairly certain that there are some around here who wish I would get hooked again. Sorry. Very Happy Laughing Wink
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 10 years in Korea, with 3 of those with no TV at all to watch, I was kind of excited about being able to watch TV again--with a selection of channels.

Boy was I in for a disappointment! We have 40 channels on our cable service. Not a darn one worth watching. My biggest disappointment was The History Channel. I've been home 4 months and they have shown at least 3 different programs about Armaggedon so far. There is the rare worthwhile program, but it is very rare. Do you remember those cheesy history movies you had to watch in junior high? The directors seem to have found a new home at The History Channel.

One other example while I'm on this rant. Did you know that the only things that have happened on the continent of Africa are: the construction of the pyramids, that the Ark of the Covenant may be in Ethiopia, that Solomon's lost gold mines may be in Zimbabwe and that there was a war in North Africa in the early 40's? That's it.

Grrrrrr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: